Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IPSC Schools

Putty

I conducted a forum search, and got some names and ideas for fixed location IPSC schools. I would like forum members thoughts and experiences on some of the best. I have Burketts DVD's but see no schedule for fixed location classes on his site. Would like to get some hands on training as I am a new shooter who wants to travel out of N. Idaho.

David Sevigny @ Sevigny Performance does classes tailored to your current skill level. I took a half day class in the fall and it was extremely helpful. He gives you things you can take with you and practice for continuted improvement, plus helps eliminate waste in your stage planning and execution. We fired about 600 rounds in the half day class. I will take another class from David if I can. He is a world champion in his division.

www.sevignyperformance.com

Max Michel and Travis Tomasie do their Double Impact course, and it has recieved a lot of positive comments here on the forum. They both shoot for the Army Marksmanship Unit, and have major wins under their belt in the past few years.

www.maxmichel.com

Matt McLearn is teaching now, according to his website.

Todd Jarrett teaches also.

Doug Koenig

Mike Voigt.

Rob Leatham puts on a class at the SSC yearly.

Probably another good resource is a local shooter of M or GM status. You might ask around if they practice and if so if you could tag in? Only a thought.

Guest Larry Cazes

There are atleast 2 GMs in the SF bay area who give lessons personalised to your skill level. I would go with a local in your area who can do one on one instruction.

depending on your skill level, it doesn't take a world champion (and $$$$) to teach you a set of skills that woudl advance you a class or two. Check out the local M's and GM's, and whether they are teaching classes and are willing to help you. That may be the best value for your buck...

I've taken courses from several of the pros named above. All very good, but it can get to be expensive.

I think that while the pro who teaches you may give you great advice based on what he sees you do, he's only there for a couple days (though, diligently practiced, that one or two days' worth of advice can be worked on for quite a while to improve your skills). If, though, you are lucky enough to hook up with a talented local shooter who sees you shoot on an ongoing basis, he might be just as or even more helpful in improving your shooting by pointing out/offer advice on problems as they develop as your technique evolves, and before they become ingrained to the point of being difficult to overcome. The downside is finding such a person, and one who is interested, willing and is able to teach, either formally or informally.

There are a couple masters at my club who have helped me in this way. I consider myself fortunate.

if and when he has classes, Jerry Barnhart, is of the greats to learn from. i took his class in early 2004 as a B open class shooter. i'm now 1.3% away from making Master class. expect to spend about $150 per day for any top notch pro.

i hear the army boys put on a pretty nice class too.

Sandoz

Great advice already given from all the above on how to pursue some good coaching from a good teacher.

My biggest aid was watching Lenny Magill's USPSA nationals videos and reading Brian's book. Those are the two things that enabled me to become more proficient in the sport.

Every top shooter is probably a pretty good teacher, or at least most of them are. I took a class from TGO when I first started and that was probably good for me to learn how to practice.

The thing I always gained from watching MATCH video is what needed to be done when it counted and how the big dogs executed.

The recommendation I like the best is the "find a local top gun and learn from him/her" They can give a class, then they could also help coach you through match performances. You'll probably save some $$$ that way too.

Should you decide to go with an instructor though I can't see anything wrong with any of the above mentioned individuals. They didn't get to where they are without knowing the shortcuts of the learning curve.

JB

I just took a class with Max and Travis. I came away with a note book full of ideas to help my practice. And some very good tips about movement and focus.

These are two fine young men. And the dedication they have to winning is infectious. I came away with a renewed excitement for the game...

Finding someone to teach you can be a double edged sword....

99% of the time it turns out well and will shorten the learning curve..but the other 1% will set you back a bit...I think the benefits out weigh the risks, but still have to be careful... ;)

Well right now, I get up to the line get extremely tense and run real fast and dont hit but a few A's and never really SEE anything. I am a gotta know why, kinda guy in order to let the "non-thinking" fully bloom.

I only had one person respond, who was willing to teach me and subsequent discussions about this person with people who know him has been very positive. So next week I am headed to Oregon with 2k rounds and a blank slate. Just call me Putty.

Well right now, I get up to the line get extremely tense and run real fast and dont hit but a few A's and never really SEE anything.

Dude - we've all been there. You will get past it - just get through it. Good luck.

...I get up to the line get extremely tense and run real fast and dont hit but a few A's and never really SEE anything.

You are not alone.

I have seen that same post here many, many times.

You have a focus on speed.

Shift your focus to vision (seeing the sights lift) and you will see great results.