Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I always have a hard time getting the grill to heat up

we have some warm weather coming this weekend (high 40s), and I want to break it out early

Any good tips out there?

Propane grill if it matters (I have tried to bring the bottle inside to have it warmer, doesn't seem to do a lot)

Need more information about what you are using. Also, you can bbq at lower heat for longer time if it's an overall temp issue. Grilling is done at higher heat. I don't usually bbq in the winter myself, I don't like being cold, and it isn't nearly as cold here as your warm winter days are there.

the design of the bbq/grill you are using can be huge. I built a bbq one time with 10g steel I had, that bastard would stay hot forever (charcoal), I have small charcoal grill I use that I sometimes have to add more charcoal to if I'm using it for long (as in third batch of patties). It's thinner and holds less so doesn't get as hot to begin with. the only time I use propane is on my camp bbq, it does seem like it never gets as hot as wood or charcoal do, and doesn't impart any of the bbq flavor that I associate with the experience.

If I were going to do a lot of outdoor cooking I would look at the Big Green Egg or one of the knockoff/copies. my buddy has one and swears by it, he can slow cook or get it all the way up hot enough to grill pizzas in it (he throws a pizza stone on the grate).

Red

Edited by DagoRed

Charcoal is more betta, but LP is sure handy when you want to grill up some meat when it is cooooold outside.

Open hood...open valve...press button....FIRE! Go back in warm house and let it heat up awhile with the lid closed before you bring the meat out.

Turn that sucker up and get it rolling.

Edited by Yeti

I grill year round . . . just as much in the winter as in the summer. Takes a little longer to heat the grill up, and I turn the flame up a bit.. I have never had an issue with the propane tank, why would I? The huge propane tank that feeds my furnace sets outside all winter long and my furnace runs just fine.

Big Green Egg is the way to go. You can cook year around on it even in temperatures down to -10 -15 if you can bare the cold. The ceramic construction holds heat extremely well so cold weather does not affect it as much. The draw back is starting the lump charcoal and waiting for it to be ready 15-20 minutes but if you start it and then prep you cook it will be ready to go when you food is ready to cook.

Should 0 degree temps affect the little 5 gallon propane tank that much? or is it the outside air that affects cooking temperature?

I have 2 propane frills I use for different things, one they call an "infra-red" grill.. which is great for fish/steaks and then a traditional type that's better for burgers

I do regret not getting an outside natural gas line..

now that the temps are expected into the low 50s.. grilling some burgers or steaks sounds even better

With charcoal.. been years since I had one.. maybe that's a good low tech backup... brand suggesiutons?

I grew up with the green-egg things back in the 60s and 70s - i know i'm against the trends - but i won't go back to one

If your tank gets low you can lay it on its side to increase surface area and encourage the LP to boil off into gas. Just don't do it if it's half full or more or you'll get liquid out of it. This helps if it's cold out.

OK - since I have no concept of gases, I admit it - I'm a software guy

In the winter - does it help to use a full tank or use a half tank?

Maybe if there's room for gas expansion in the tank that'll help fuel flow?

I'm still confused about this propane tank issue. I grill outside on a grill that uses the 20# tanks, and they never spend any time indoors. I have never had an issue, yet others do.

There is a 500 gallon propane tank setting out back that feeds my furnace. Just last week it was topped off to 85%, yet, at -7* the furnace still works just fine.

I dunno, maybe I'm paying for high test! :surprise:

When heated gases expand and increase in pressure cool and they decrease. Full tank is better.

That may be true, but it's feeding through a regulator. So low tank pressure really isn't a factor until it drops below what the regulator is set for.

• 2 weeks later...

I think you have a bad tank.

I live in VT, where the winters get under 0F kinda often, and there was one year I couldn't get my grill up to normal temps. At the time I was refilling a tank that I owned, rather than using Blue Rhino and trading tanks.

At that time the only thing that worked for me was to fill a large bin with hot water and to put the tank in the bin of hot water. That would make the grill work with no problems.

Now I use Blue Rhino and that old tank is gone. There are no problems at all. I grill in -6F without issue. I actually have two tanks, so I never run out halfway between a steak or salmon.