Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S&W 929 Review and thoughts

BallisticianX

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, MWP said:

They had mine 2 years ago for 6 months and several hundred dollars for a trigger stud. I wished I would have not sent it to them. 

Really I've had 4 go back for Trigger/Hammer Studs and the most expensive was $150 for a M29 cause I didn't want the crown stud and they had to refinish it.  The Crowned Studs were about $65.  This one is only a few years old and am hoping it will be warrantied, so 6 months may be the damage I face.  

I sent a 1980something 586 back for a firing pin bushing. The gun had something around 150K through it. I had it converted to a 7 shot, and all the action stuff done. It had around a 7lb trigger.

Talked to them when my work order came (6 weeks which is their protocol)in the mail and asked them not to replace all the guts with stock parts (which they had recommended). They complained but they fixed it and sent it back as is.

I think it cost me $150 or thereabouts. I can't complain about them too much.

But maybe that's just me?

5 hours ago, pskys2 said:

Really I've had 4 go back for Trigger/Hammer Studs and the most expensive was $150 for a M29 cause I didn't want the crown stud and they had to refinish it.  The Crowned Studs were about $65.  This one is only a few years old and am hoping it will be warrantied, so 6 months may be the damage I face.  

How have 4 broken on you? Mine fell off a bench and hit concrete. 

On 1/25/2020 at 5:08 PM, MWP said:

How have 4 broken on you? Mine fell off a bench and hit concrete. 

1 was a 1974 M28 Hammer Stud, a M29-3 Trigger Stud, PC625 Hammer stud, PC627 Trigger Stud.

I put a lot of rounds through them and early in my quest the first 3 I took apart a lot and a few times applied some mainspring pressure which I'm sure accelerated the issues.  The  627 though I've only had apart half a dozen times and never put mainspring pressure on it.

At an early 2000's Area III USPSA Championship I was going to shoot the 29 in Revolver with Jerry Miculek.  Had to switch because of the broken Trigger Stud.  I mentioned it to Jerry and he told me until the year before he had never had one break and mentioned it to a fellow shooter, and guess what the next day had one break.

Yesterday S&W sent me a letter and for the crowned stud it will be $148, no warranty, it would be another $143 if I want it replaced as per original for finish work.  So at least they've looked at it, hopefully they can get it done and back before the season starts!

Don't know though, have a GP100 that I like, action came out pretty good.  So who knows maybe  Redhawk 8 shot is in my future?

Edited by pskys2

I just sent in my Model 929 for repairs last week.  I also spoke with Mark at Pinnacle High Performance regarding what type of work he would recommend after I get my revolver back from S&W.  I have to say that Mark is one of the humblest person that I met who has a wealth of knowledge and wisdom regarding the operations of a revolver.  He is a world class master gunsmith that will earn my business for years to come.  He provided me with consultation at no charge.  You can tell that he really loves what he does.  It felt that I was talking with Joda regarding the power of the force except that we were talking about my revolver.

A big thanks to Prange for the recommendation! 😀

Having shot revolvers since 1976 in both PPC and USPSA matches I bought 2 629s. In 1998 & 99 I won USPSA Nationals with my 627 shooting 38 Colt Shorts in a very limited field excluding the King, Jerry....

I had extensive work done on both to shoot 9MM for USPSA, ICORE, & Steel Challenge. Needless to say my well shot 627 with 38 Colt Shorts felt better and shot better groups with more than 20 yrs of use and 120K down the shorter 5" bbl. 

I sold them both to a revolver shooting buddy who was starting out in revolver shooting for ICORE & SC who has since quit shooting revo and sold them.

On 3/3/2015 at 2:02 PM, DougCarden said:

X......just go ahead and load .357-8 bullets if you are going to run Coated lead. Your accuracy will be much better and there won't be a problem loading them for the cylinder.

DougC

do you recomend  a LEE FCD and if i use .357-8 coated bullets , would use a 9mm FCD or .38 FCD.

7 hours ago, MikeyScuba said:

No it doesn't.  It should but I've measured and maybe, maybe the odd bullet went from .358 to .3575 but not with every bullet I've measured.

Any lack of accuracy is from lack of visual patience.

I agree with you Mike, I have used them for sometime and no problems with accuracy other than me, but I have switched to a LEE 38 short colt roll crimp die and use it on my 38 SC and my 9mm. And the 9's also feed and shoot just as well in any of my bottom feeders that I use them in.