Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Starting in Open Division in USPSA

shotgunone

I currently shoot IDPA and was hoping for an optic division. That didn't happen this year. Have been thinking about shooting USPSA this past year.

Anything wrong with starting out in open division? I'd like to shoot USPSA, but with the over 50+ eyes, and the start of cataracts, I find it easier to see a dot superimposed on a target out there than the front sight at the end of my arm. Just wondering if anybody else started out in Open division.

Edited by shotgunone

I didn't start in Open but switched from Production when the sights just got to fuzzy. Open either has the young guys trying to rule the world or us older guys trying to extend the fun as long as we can.

absolutly amigo!

Shoot USPSA open!

It is funny to me how so many folks feel like they are obligated to start in production and " work their way up"

i suspect you will have a blast! With the speed of an open gun and the freedom of the USPSA format, you'll be hooked.

absolutly amigo!

Shoot USPSA open!

It is funny to me how so many folks feel like they are obligated to start in production and " work their way up"

i suspect you will have a blast! With the speed of an open gun and the freedom of the USPSA format, you'll be hooked.

Yup. The dot helps (at least for me) with trigger control, calling your shots, and makes the longer stages simpler with zero or one mag change.

If that is what you feel is best for you and will keep you interested in the sport, do it! Understand the down sides though like more things to break, keeping batteries on hand, the extra expense of guns/parts/ammo, more practice in the beginning to avoid the "dot shuffle", etc. Every division has a downside, just be aware of it.

A friend of mine recently started in Open and he thought he was going to go in blazing with the top shots. He was sadly mistaken, eventually becoming disenchanted with Open and quit. He had a combination of extremely high expectations and gun problems. Remember it takes time but have fun and patience.

Sent from the range

I wish I started in open. Would have saved heaps on guns.

They're investments!

Www.uplandsportsman.com

Introducing the Zero Interference Shotgun Sling, enjoy all day shotgun carrying comfort without a lighter gun.

Ha! That's what I've been telling my wife for years. The problem is when I sell one she wants to know how much we made...

I wish I started in open. Would have saved heaps on guns.

They're investments!

Www.uplandsportsman.com

Introducing the Zero Interference Shotgun Sling, enjoy all day shotgun carrying comfort without a lighter gun.

Ha! That's what I've been telling my wife for years. The problem is when I sell one she wants to know how much we made...

100% profit honey! That one was fully depreciated ;)

My wife's typical response is, "ya but people usually sell investments at some point".

I just tell her they're a supplementary life insurance policy. If I die you're rich, if you die, I have to figure out what to do with 100 purses

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just remember, the dot may be easier to see, but you have to be much faster in general to be competitive in Open. If you're not only having problems seeing, but are getting old and slow, don't expect that using a dot is going to make you a Grand Master anytime soon.

if you struggle with iron sights due to vision problem then open is probably the way to go. it removes the need to be able to focus sharply on a front sight and the demands of rapidly shifting focal planes between long distance targets and the front sight up close. eventually it will just feel like the dot is projected out onto the target.

They are great fun, freedom to customise your gun is cool. It's certainly a very competitive division but there's no reason you can't have fun and be competitive within your grade amongst other similarly skilled competitors. Not everyone has the physical capabilities, or the time to practice regularly that is needed to make it to the top level. Plenty of guys compete for fun and do what they can to improve.

For me the only downside of open is the guns are more expensive and with freedom of customisation becomes reason to spend even more on them!

I currently shoot IDPA and was hoping for an optic division. That didn't happen this year. Have been thinking about shooting USPSA this past year.

Anything wrong with starting out in open division? I'd like to shoot USPSA, but with the over 50+ eyes, and the start of cataracts, I find it easier to see a dot superimposed on a target out there than the front sight at the end of my arm. Just wondering if anybody else started out in Open division.

LUKE, JOIN THE DARK SIDE LUKE! (Starwars reference for those of you too young to know...)

If I had to do it all over again, knowing what I know now. I would have started on a 2011 platform open gun, never looked back...

I have to admit, since I went open, I've gotten faster and more accurate in all my other divisions and shooting sports.

.... having problems seeing, but are getting old and slow, don't expect that using a dot is going to make you a Grand Master anytime soon.

How do you know me???? That describes me to a tee, but I'm not really looking to make GM. Just have fun and try and remove as many variables as possible from why I shoot like I do.

....... If I die you're rich, if you die, I have to figure out what to do with 100 purses

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

And 200 pairs of shoes!!!!

LUKE, JOIN THE DARK SIDE LUKE! (Starwars reference for those of you too young to know...)

If I had to do it all over again, knowing what I know now. I would have started on a 2011 platform open gun, never looked back...

I have to admit, since I went open, I've gotten faster and more accurate in all my other divisions and shooting sports.

I like the DARK SIDE.

Sounds like a plan that's coming together. Can't see, old and slow. Not worried about making GM, just have some fun. Investment strategy is more sound than purses (or shoes). Get to be a bad boy by going to the Dark Side. Possibility of getting faster and more accurate! That's a win all the way around, now to sell the wife on it. (Better leave out the shoes and purses, unless it looks like I'm losing.)

Thanks guys and gals. I do appreciate all the comments. Seriously, I'm not out to win big matches, just have some fun shooting pistols, and maybe some friendly competition.

Edited by shotgunone

• 4 weeks later...

I started in Open for the same reason. I'm old and blind! No regrets what so ever. It has allowed me to keep shooting and enjoy the sport. There are some really fast guys in Open, but sometimes "even a blind hog finds an acorn once in a while".

"Old guys", don't forget the eyeglasses solutions to our vision problems. There are several threads about this on bEnos already.

The problem is that we're looking through the distance portion of our glasses and can see the targets fine, but the front sight is blurry (usually VERY blurry).

Basically, you need glasses that put the focal plane for your dominant eye ("shooting eye") just ahead of the front sight. This gives you a 90% clear front sight and ability to see the targets, as well. It isn't that hard to test it out, just go the the drugstore or WalMart and try out different powers of their "reader" glasses, over your regular glasses if necessary. Lower powers usually work, around +1 or +1.25 or so. See what you can see, both at arm's length plus and out to 20 yards or so. To test it at the distance of your sights (roughly), pick up some product and hold it at arm's length, with the top portion out in front of your hand, and see how it reads. (No need to scare the customers with your real gun!)

If this works for you, talk to your eye doctor and get a prescription for glasses with single vision on the dominant side and your regular prescription on the other side. Now you have a shooting lens on the right (for most of us) and normal lens on the left, and you can shoot, see targets, load mags, and see score sheets. MUCH less expensive than an Open gun, either Glock with optic or STI race gun.

OTOH, if you really want to shoot Open, you don't need the "old eyes" excuse (except perhaps for the wife!) - just go out and shoot it!

Edited by teros135