Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What is the call for this situation?

Sandbagger123

No idea. After i shot i went to clean and reload my mags.

Instead of helping score.

:devil:

Give him a break, moto. How many threads have there been about starting the next stage with empty mags because you didn't keep your discipline and reload them?

Oh, you were just kidding. Never mind.

You guys are such guys!! :sight:

Me, too. Then there's doing a table start with the gun lying on the mag release and having the mag hit the ground as soon as you grab for it. And [insert favorite story of range/match goof]...

I worked a stage with a table start at 2012 nats, and we saw that happen to several people.

• 2 weeks later...

Sandbagger123, You don't look at the clock when you are done shooting and want to know if you have any D's or mikes? Why did it take the RO to the 3rd stage to realize no one was scoring? How many shooters were on this squad?

Edited by 9x45

Sandbagger123, You don't look at the clock when you are done shooting and want to know if you have any D's or mikes? Why did it take the RO to the 3rd stage to realize no one was scoring? How many shooters were on this squad?

Sure I do, but I am following the RO not the scorekeeper. I have no idea what they were doing. It's the RO responsibility to manage the squad and the scoring. 12 or 13 IIRC.

were the targets all brand new when you started? so each target had only 6 hits on them (and you know at least 2 of them as the third shooter was scored) so it's now a matter of determining of the 4 hits on each target (assuming no mikes) which 2 belong to which shooter. If he'd done it that way it's somewhat credible but to be honest I feel like I'm making excuses here for bad RO'ing.

As he was going through the stage calling "alpha, charlie" etc did he not notice no one was calling it back? How did he not notice no one was taking the time from the timer?

I tend to agree saying he can remember the hits is somewhat bogus. It should have been a re-shoot for the simple reason not hits or time were recorded. even worse since 2 more shooters had completed their attempt at the stage by the time it was picked up.

re-shoot no question. and a WTF were you going question to the RO.....

If I am RO'ing a stage the first thing I do before running the competitor is find out who is scoring and make sure they are ready with the score sheet (yeah we use paper sheets).

As he was going through the stage calling "alpha, charlie" etc did he not notice no one was calling it back? How did he not notice no one was taking the time from the timer?

Slight side note--This is not really a standard thing across clubs. I've been to clubs where I've had to tell the guy to give me a readback when I call out hits, and I've been to clubs where the RO gets irritated when you call back the hits while he's scoring targets.

While it's generally a "preferred practice," it's not mandatory, and not everyone does it (or wants it done).

Slight side note--This is not really a standard thing across clubs. I've been to clubs where I've had to tell the guy to give me a readback when I call out hits, and I've been to clubs where the RO gets irritated when you call back the hits while he's scoring targets.

While it's generally a "preferred practice," it's not mandatory, and not everyone does it (or wants it done).

If I ever have an RO get " irritated" at me for reading back his calls that tells me he is inexperienced or a power tripper, for the former a polite chat about best practice will occur. For the latter, run your own damm scoresheet, followed by a talk with the MD, followed by not squad ding with that fella again.

I'm so grateful for the great leadership and professionalism in our local matches!

That's true. I've seen occasionally it happen the other way. as in the guy noting the scores down does not do the readback and for whatever reason the RO just doesn't say anything about it.

I've also heard times when RO called say "Alpha Charlie" and the scorer calls back "2 Alpha" and still neither noticed the mistake! so nothing is foolproof.

• 8 months later...