Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Question about leaving powder in a hopper

I finished a run of .223 a couple of days ago and left about a tenth of a hopper (Dillon) of H-335.

It will be another couple or three weeks before I can resume reloading.

For those of you with more experience than me is it OK to leave the power in the hopper or should I take it out and put it back in the jug?

I'm thinking that it doesn't hurt anything as long as direct sunlight doesn't get to it.

I don't think it will corrode anything or clump up in an AC enivronment.

What say you?

IMO it doesn't take any real effort to put the powder back in the jug at your cleanup. Can you leave it? Yes. I always want my presses clean and ready to load anything. Empty the primers, empty the powder and clean the press. It's the same as putting everything away and not leaving the components lying around. Just me....

Sure you can leave it, but why? It's easy enough to empty and put in its original container. All you have to do is just remove the tool head and dump the powder back in the can / bottle or loosen the two hex head screws that hold the measure on the die, remove the measure and pour the powder back in the bottle.

If its longet than 3 weeks for some reason, do you have hopper marked with what powder is in it? Its easy to pour it back for me just to be sure i never accidentally mix up powder. Thats just me though

I am about halfway through the process of reloading 8K rounds of .223 with my 1050.

Everything is set up just like I want it for when I resume in about three weeks.

I know that it is not that big of a deal to empty the hopper but I don't want to do it unless I have to.

If the powder stay in the hopper for more than 1 week it is no longer can be used, just send it to me I will dispose it for you.

Don't worry I have it some time for long time in the hopper with no issue but that's me only.

After either w231 or 700x discoloring the clear plastic, i now put powder back into original container after each time i am done using press.

I kinda like everything all cleaned up ready for next setup.

It might be a bit anal to think that dumping the powder into the measure will measure more consistant then powder sitting in the measure for a while as it may have settled a bit.

Edited by xpshooter

The residual solvents in the powder will eventually discolor and darken the hopper tube. Some powders, notably double-based handgun powders, do this faster.

It's not discolored - it's colored - green(ish) As long as I can see the powder level it's good.

Funny, for a bunch of guys that play in .001", measure speeds to .1 foot per second on 1200 fps, mess about in .1 of a grain to

maintain consistency have no problem in treating their powder supplies poorly.

All powder cans say 'store in cool, dry place', not room temperature, sunlight/or artificial lit, with varying heat and humidity.

Especially something that is hydroscopic and will be measured in a .1 grain.

Powder measures are not airtight. The solvents that discolor the hoppers also vaporize into you house.

Powder containers are airtight.

We do reformulate the plastic used to mold the hopper tube as improvements are available. The current production tubes are less susceptible to it, but no transparent plastic currently exists that is entirely resistant that can be produced affordably, or can be molded. We won't change to a metal or glass tube, nor to an opaque plastic.

All powder cans say 'store in cool, dry place', not room temperature, sunlight/or artificial lit, with varying heat and humidity.

Wondering if a crawl space under a "modern" house would work with factory sealed containers, only bringing to the bench what is needed for the next coupla months. My garage is OK Oct-April....but summers get 90°-ish in the garage. Inside is obviously room temp./

Funny, for a bunch of guys that play in .001", measure speeds to .1 foot per second on 1200 fps, mess about in .1 of a grain to

Leaving powder in my hoppers continues to produce excellent ammo consistency. When I top it up, that's when an extra .1 of a grain gets pushed into the charge bar.

Therefore, I reduce the amount of times I mess with my hopper.

Especially something that is hydroscopic and will be measured in a .1 grain.

Powder measures are not airtight. The solvents that discolor the hoppers also vaporize into you house.

Powder containers are airtight.

Huh? Like I said, leave it in the hopper. ;) Edited by Sarge