Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New IDPA Rule Book - ESR Division?

S&W686

Information on the new IDPA Rule Book was sent out and information on the new CCP division was discussed and that there will not be an optic division at this time. There was nothing mentioned about dropping the ESR division in the memo. Is there still an ESR division or has that already been eliminated.

Edited by S&W686

So will it just be a 155 major for moon clips, or will it be specific to 45 caliber. I'm wondering if it would be worth while to get my 686 mooned...

Yea it does make it tempting to moon my 686 SSR. I am sitting on a box of magnus 200gr bullets; loaded @ 160PF thats only 800fps. Might have to work a load up and see how that one feels.

Edited by Fordfan485

I think combining moonclip vs speedloader revolvers using PF to balance would/will be a failure. One of the other will dominate the division and the other will be there just to be inclusive but not competitive. Look at USPSA Revolver division as an example. Minor/Major did not balance 6 vs 8 shot. I don't see how different power factors will be any more successful at balancing moonclips vs speedloaders. It will be interesting to see what the new rules are.

I think combining moonclip vs speedloader revolvers using PF to balance would/will be a failure. One of the other will dominate the division and the other will be there just to be inclusive but not competitive. Look at USPSA Revolver division as an example. Minor/Major did not balance 6 vs 8 shot. I don't see how different power factors will be any more successful at balancing moonclips vs speedloaders. It will be interesting to see what the new rules are.

My feelings exactly. IDPA did a disservice to revolver shooters by "fixing" something that is not broken.

I'm waiting to see and read it in print before I renew my membership. I don't plan on staying if the ESR is done away with. I've done TOO MANY changes to my ESR gun already 1- no more 5" barrel, 2-Picture of the grip's max size w/dimensions. Not to mention that they were made to be smaller than a 2011 Mag well.

Edited by granderojo

Any word on divison max weight? I'm hoping my ruger alaskan bis still legal.

Our Alaskans (I compete with one also) are still fine for ESR. The listed weight by Ruger (44oz) still leaves them too heavy for SSR.

Interesting that both SSR and ESR are sub-categories of Revolver Division now. :goof:

Seems a little odd thet they would lower the PF or ESR when it already has lower Classification scores than SSR

On paper, lower classification scores = faster guns.

We can only assume that the new 155 PF will make the clipped ESR guns even faster.

I foresee the new Revolver division being ruled by the 625's.

Maybe this was a conscience decision by Berryville to throw a bone to all the downtroten 625 shooters who just got displaced by the 8 shot Minor guns in USPSA. Or maybe they are just ensuring that their pals at S&W have a market to keep selling JM 625s.

Seems a little odd thet they would lower the PF or ESR when it already has lower Classification scores than SSR

We can only assume that the new 155 PF will make the clipped ESR guns even faster.

Maybe this was a conscience decision by Berryville to throw a bone to all the downtroten 625 shooters who just got displaced by the 8 shot Minor guns in USPSA. Or maybe they are just ensuring that their pals at S&W have a market to keep selling JM 625s.

If they were doing anything for their pals at S&W, they would have lowered PF to about 145, so the S&W Governor that outsells the 625 at least 10:1 could play in the new division.

If they were doing anything for their pals at S&W, they would have lowered PF to about 145, so the S&W Governor that outsells the 625 at least 10:1 could play in the new division.

Why cant theS&W Governor play in SSR/ESR? Ammo only has to make powerfactor out of a 625(longest barrel gun in that div). I think the governor could be gamer gun for BUG Revolver since it only has a 2.75" barrel with some really slow 45 colts in speedloaders (or 45 auto rim) and the power factor is only 95 there

Why cant theS&W Governor play in SSR/ESR? Ammo only has to make powerfactor out of a 625(longest barrel gun in that div). I think the governor could be gamer gun for BUG Revolver since it only has a 2.75" barrel with some really slow 45 colts in speedloaders (or 45 auto rim) and the power factor is only 95 there

It can only play in REV if you have a 625 handy to play 'stunt gun' at the chrono. Ultimately, it has to make PF out of your gun in the absence of another to chrono from. A Governor as a BUG. Hmm, I wonder if it fits the box?

It can only play in REV if you have a 625 handy to play 'stunt gun' at the chrono. Ultimately, it has to make PF out of your gun in the absence of another to chrono from. A Governor as a BUG. Hmm, I wonder if it fits the box?

Looks like it would except it is 1.75 wide. Box is 1.625