Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

mbx magazines

fitz

I guess I need to mess with mine a bit. It holds 29 reloadable of 9mm major but it pretty repeatably pukes torward the end of the mag (say after 24 or 25). Gun runs fine with the old fashioned sv mags I normally use.

I need to call them when I get a chance and see what they recomend.

Otherwise looks to be an excellent mag

Describe "pukes". Maybe I can help
Will get at least one nose dive failure to feed.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I guess I need to mess with mine a bit. It holds 29 reloadable of 9mm major but it pretty repeatably pukes torward the end of the mag (say after 24 or 25). Gun runs fine with the old fashioned sv mags I normally use.

Had the same thing happen with my 38super. I adjusted the front angle of the follower up a bit and it solved the round tipping forward issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok I'll give that a look.

Thanks

Had the same thing happen with my 38super. I adjusted the front angle of the follower up a bit and it solved the round tipping forward issue.

Ok I'll give that a look.

Thanks

I think you are on to something. I pulled the spring and follower out of the tube. The first thing I noticed was that the nose of the follower (when pointed away from me) was rotated slightly (maybe 15 to 20 degrees) to the right I straightened that a bit and put a bit more up on the nose of the follower. It seems to load a bit easier now and the rounds seem to pop up really quickly in the mag so that seems hopeful. I'll give it a live fire sometime this weekend and see if that's gonna get it. If that doesn't get it I'll give them a shout and see what the suggest. They are good folks so I am sure they can get me going. Edited by caspian guy

I was able to load 30+1 of 9mm and 38 super comp in the 170mm mag, but only 29+1 with 38 super. The case rim takes up the difference in the round count. It might just take a few matches to relax the spring a little to get the extra super round in.

It did drop free and feed without problems in my PT steel grip.

I did notice that with 38 super the last 4 rounds tend to nosedive a little. A slight adjustment in the angle of the follower did fix the issue though.

MBX is spot on with the research and development of these mags. I plan on using them exclusively when I get a full set.

Since you bent the coil and had the follower point up more, have you had any more issues with nose dives? Was it like that initially or over time? Thanks

I was able to load 30+1 of 9mm and 38 super comp in the 170mm mag, but only 29+1 with 38 super. The case rim takes up the difference in the round count. It might just take a few matches to relax the spring a little to get the extra super round in.

It did drop free and feed without problems in my PT steel grip.

I did notice that with 38 super the last 4 rounds tend to nosedive a little. A slight adjustment in the angle of the follower did fix the issue though.

MBX is spot on with the research and development of these mags. I plan on using them exclusively when I get a full set.

Since you bent the coil and had the follower point up more, have you had any more issues with nose dives? Was it like that initially or over time? Thanks

After I adjusted the follower I didn't have any more issues with the rounds nose diving. It only occurred with 38super ammo. Which is mostly caused by the case rim.

It happened right out of the box with the first mag I ran with super ammo. Had no issues with super comp or 9mm.

• 3 weeks later...

Had to adjust the spring angle at the follower on my 170mm and it runs fine with 29+1. Does not like picking up the first round when loaded 30+1. Only thing I don't like is the follower is so thin there is no way to make it lock the slide back on last shot. They said they were working on this.

I didn't have time to do any tests. Opened the package at the match (170mm),loaded up 30 for the 1st stage & 30 again for the 2nd stage and ran flawlessly!! Excellent product..STI Tru-Bor 9mm Major

Edited by nelly

️Jealous of you all. Can only get 29 in my 170. Can squeeze 24 in the 140, but it won't lock into gun at all with 24. Thought I would be able to get more with 9mm than that. Basically same amounts as my sv's.

️Jealous of you all. Can only get 29 in my 170. Can squeeze 24 in the 140, but it won't lock into gun at all with 24. Thought I would be able to get more with 9mm than that. Basically same amounts as my sv's.

You are not alone. I bought two magazines, weeks apart, and they both are doing the same - will take 29, which is what my SVI mags do. One of them is slightly better now, I can REALLY force 30 rounds into it, and even lock it in my gun, but with a ton of force - would not try that at the match.

But I am using the SVI stainless grip - maybe that is responsible?

You are not alone. I bought two magazines, weeks apart, and they both are doing the same - will take 29, which is what my SVI mags do. One of them is slightly better now, I can REALLY force 30 rounds into it, and even lock it in my gun, but with a ton of force - would not try that at the match.

Are you guys hand loading them or using an Uplua loader? Everyone I've talked with gets 30+1 9mm & 38sc

Are you guys hand loading them or using an Uplua loader? Everyone I've talked with gets 30+1 9mm & 38sc
I use an uplula to get 30 in 38 supercomp Edited by COLLINSMITH89

Update. My 170mm's are flawless. I wish I could say the same for the 140's. I have 4ea 9mm 140's and 6ea .40cal 140's. None of the run. When the springs compress the coils are getting tangled. First two rounds are good then nothing. Mag rattles like a tic-tac box. On the .40's I swapped in Grams guts and now they are running ok. The 9mm I tried the same and it did not work. Same issue. I have tried new MBX springs and followers with no luck.

Update. My 170mm's are flawless. I wish I could say the same for the 140's. I have 4ea 9mm 140's and 6ea .40cal 140's. None of the run. When the springs compress the coils are getting tangled. First two rounds are good then nothing. Mag rattles like a tic-tac box. On the .40's I swapped in Grams guts and now they are running ok. The 9mm I tried the same and it did not work. Same issue. I have tried new MBX springs and followers with no luck.

How many rounds do you have through the mags and did the issue develop or were they from the get go?

I have 2 of the 140 9mm mags and have only been able to cycle them once (they worked without a hitch.)

Sh!t, moving to open and was just gonna buy these as opposed to the old reliable sti tubes and grams springs/followers, now WTF?

Either spring for old style SV tubes or go with good old STI tubes with spacers, grams guts and pads of your choice. I am going through a phase where my spacers want to keep coming loose but that is pretty trivial when compared to just plain not working right.

I'm right there with you in a way. I was going to sell all of my STI mags and get some of these but to get one extra round in the tube is not worth the risk to me.

My 140's in 40 failed. Can load 21, but no way they seat. When loaded with 20, they fail to feed after about 4-5 rounds. The springs are like bic pen springs. Follower is weird. Replaced the guts with TTI and they work just fine.

I bought 2-140s and 1-170 to use in 9mm.

Got 23 and 24 and 29rds using my springs and followers with their bases. Was going to make my own bases but decided to support MBX by buying theirs.

Just glad to have more options when I need 2011 type mags.

My hats off to MBX.

Used the 140s this past weekend in a brand new 5" 9mm 2011 build.

Didn't have any issues.

Can't comment on MBX's spring or follower.

I don't shoot 40 enough to justify getting some in that caliber to try.

Nick

My 140's in 40 failed. Can load 21, but no way they seat. When loaded with 20, they fail to feed after about 4-5 rounds. The springs are like bic pen springs. Follower is weird. Replaced the guts with TTI and they work just fine.

Ugh!

So it's a wash cost wise, but I know the sti/ grams set up is proven.. Is MBX providing good follow thru after the sale?

Sh!t, moving to open and was just gonna buy these as opposed to the old reliable sti tubes and grams springs/followers, now WTF?

No need to feel desperate, I treat these as good 29 round magazines, kinda the same as my SVI mags, which is not so bad. Yes, now, with the springs worked some, I can start with 31 rounds, but I will not do it in a match, just to be on a safe side. One extra round is not worth a risk.

All total I have 12 MBX mags. Total combined round count is about 2000-2500. I am trying all possible combinations to find something that works. The tubes have great potential. The material is slightly thicker than both the STI & SPS tubes. Have not yet compared them to the old style SV's. When the springs don't nest and hang up the run great. If I can't get them to run reliably I will likely send them to Beven and see if he can work some magic.

No, MBX is not following through after the sale. Also for what you are paying might was well order 4 Brazos 170s for a cheaper price. The mags are not tuned when you get them. Each tube I got had different measurements on them and the outside was not polished. The 3d printed follower will scratch easily if you do not take care when loading. Also you need to watch your spring, it will turn vertical and jam up the works, you will notice this by looking in the sight hole or on the gap between the base and the tube.