mbx magazines

fitz

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I saw a 170 9/38 super MBX mag and a 140 40 MBX mag still in the packages at my gunsmith's shop when I picked up my repaired open gun a few weeks ago. The manufacturer had sent him the two mags to test. They looked ready to go, not raw prototypes, and looked well manufactured and designed. The basepad looks very similar to the Taran Tactical basepads and the tubes resemble the old style SV mags, but are made specifically for STI style frames, grips, and mag catches. The nice part is no spacer required for 9mm and the advertised capacity of 29-30 is good as well. I have a message in to my gunsmith to see if he has tested the MBX mags yet, but have not heard back as yet. I will post the result when I hear back from him.

I just heard back from my gunsmith on the MBX mags. His opinion is that the mags are well designed and seem to function in every gun he has tried them in thus far. However, that is in a very limited amount of testing - only about one mag full through each. As for capacity, he told me the 140mm 40 mag holds 21 rds and thus far, the 170mm 9/38 Super mag holds 28 rds.

21 rds in a140/40 mag is excellent, but 28 rds is only about average for the 170mm 9mm mag. For comparison, I get 20 rounds in my Brazos tuned STI 140/40 mags with Grams guts and 4mm basepad. I get 29 rounds in my 170mm SV 9 mag with Grams guts and 4mm basepad. Perhaps the 170 mag needs a few loading and unloading cycles to set the spring before it will get to 29 or 30 rds capacity.

Anyone getting a response from MBX on email ? No luck here after several days.

jiminfl

edit: after looking closer at the home page, it does say 'late January' for purchasing. I might be a little premature looking for ordering info.

Edited by JimInFL

I got one 170 on order, lets all report back here with our testing. Anyone else here using a PT steel grip?

I'm running a PT steel grip aswell

Cool. The shipping estimate seemed very lengthy (like 8 days) and a little pricey but we'll see.

The concept of the MBX magazines line was to be able to purchase the best competition magazine , take it out of the package when it arrived at your door step and go shoot a match with it . This is much easier said then done but as a competitive shooter myself I believe we have put together a great new product that will Speak for its self in the toughest and most demanding shooting sport .

I will continue to work at producing the best products under the MBX line we will be adding a lot of different lines such as Para / new Armscorp , Caspian and EAA /tankfollo Hopefully all will be available during the middle to end of 2015

After spring break- in the new .40 sw holds 21 rd reloadable the 9 mm /.38 line needs NO spacers the tubes are designed to hold 24 140 mm the 170 mm is a 30 rd tube design the reason I say 29-30 is that some people just do not have the ability or hand strength to load anymore then 29 but if you check out the How to videos on the MBX site you can get some tips on loading for Max capacity and we will have some good videos on checking correct install mag hight and identifing issues with extractors ,feed ramps bullet length ,recoil springs and mag catches to aid in tuning your gun for competition use . Adrian Cobb MBX

Edited by magman7466