Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Xtreme 'Titan' hammer

joakim

Henning Gen 4 is 190 vs 204 OEM. This is why extended FPB isn't catching the firing pin

This made me want to measure the 4 pins I have, so here they are:

inside the notch, along the flat face, full diameter, from inside firing pin stop, full length

OEM: 0.2025, 0.226, 0.255, 2.585, 2.605

XTREME: 0.2035, 0.2265, 0.2545, 2.464, 2.607

Henning G3: 0.1985, 0.0224, 0.251, 2.4805, 2.6155

Henning G4: 0.1905, 0.226, 0.252, 2,477, 2.6265

I think the full diameter is the measurement which matters most here for engagement with the FPB. The henning Gen 4 is even more different b/c it has all these slices taken out, and might be even more thin along the direction that matters most. 0.2325 is this measurement.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Henning Gen 4 is 190 vs 204 OEM. This is why extended FPB isn't catching the firing pin

So are you using the OEM firing pin? With Titan and light springs?
Yes

Also I went Henning Gen 3 to Gen 4 back to OEM to Xtreme 2.0. And learned it the expensive way, just use Federals or medium springs. Its equates to 1lb heavier trigger on Lyman gauge.

What's the difference in the Xtreme 2.0 version vs the rest of the ones you tried?

I'm using a Gen 4 with 2pc sear and stock hammer, functions fine. Though using a wolf 13 lb with 1/2 coil clipped from feeling slight bind, still only 100% with federals.

Titan hammer lowers the sear more than Stock delta at full cock I believe.

So are you using the OEM firing pin? With Titan and light springs?
Yes

Also I went Henning Gen 3 to Gen 4 back to OEM to Xtreme 2.0. And learned it the expensive way, just use Federals or medium springs. Its equates to 1lb heavier trigger on Lyman gauge.

What's the difference in the Xtreme 2.0 version vs the rest of the ones you tried?
Its fully polished, domed end for the striker surface, same design as OEM but a tad longer.

Anyone running a Titan hammer with a 2 piece sear. It just seems the switch to 1 piece gives headaches with fpb.

I'm not sure if 2pc sear works with Henning Gen 4. The Henning Gen 4 spec is smaller diameter. The short answer is 1pc sear and Xtreme firing pin 2.0 with extended FPB is drop in fit. No getting stuck in the firing pin channel and blocks firing pin at half and full cock until trigger is pulled. The Henning is longer than Xtreme though. Neither one gave me 100% ignition using Xtreme light hammer spring unless it was Federals.

The crummy part is Federals is 100% with OEM firing pin and light springs. Or with Xtreme medium springs and OEM firing pin it lights everything. Xtreme pin is only .004 or so longer than OEM.

That's odd, I remember getting my stock III to light off winchesters with the egd xtreme fp, egd light springs, and the Titan hammer.

Correct me! I thought the Xtreme 2.0 firing pin does not work with fpb?

Be happy to. Xtreme 2.0 + 1pc sear + extended FPB (.508) with Titan hammer was drop-in fit in my Stock II. It worked with 2pc sear too. I tried 2pc before getting Xtreme 1pc sear to remove pretravel hitch. And surface is more slick than the OEM black one in my Limited Pro.

• 1 month later...

I have placed a Titan hammer on my Sock II Xtreme. Works great. But I see the following. When I put the safety on I can pull the trigger so the hammer goes half-cock. I cannot pull to drop the hammer. I can also rack the slide or pull the hammer to half-cock when the safety is on.

Is this normal. I didn't think this was possible with the original Delta hammer. The hammer wouldn't move at all with the safety on.

I have placed a Titan hammer on my Sock II Xtreme. Works great. But I see the following. When I put the safety on I can pull the trigger so the hammer goes half-cock. I cannot pull to drop the hammer. I can also rack the slide or pull the hammer to half-cock when the safety is on.

Is this normal. I didn't think this was possible with the original Delta hammer. The hammer wouldn't move at all with the safety on.

i think you might want to try fitting a new sear to the safety. I think the Titan makes the sear sit a little differently than the Delta. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong on this.

i think you might want to try fitting a new sear to the safety. I think the Titan makes the sear sit a little differently than the Delta. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong on this.

You're right, if it is letting the hammer come off of full cock with the safety engaged. You are going to have to replace the sear and fit it to the safety. The hooks sit higher on the Titan hammer, and causing the front of the sear where the safety leg is to sit lower, meaning the lobe on the safety shaft is not adequately blocking the sear while engaged...

I'm sorry I missed that it was going in an Xtreme. Thats very interesting. If the sear has movement with the safety on, then the hammer hook profile between the Xtreme Delta and the Titan are apparently a little different. Take the slide off cock the hammer, and engage the safety. When you pull the trigger can you see the sear rotating at all? It should be stationary. If it is rotating, you're going to have to get a new one and fit it to the safety...sorry...

Unless I'm missing something else, everyone agree?

Edited by EngineerEli

Even if they say they are "the same", tolerances and wear can make them different enough to give this result. I fit the xtreme sear to a titan so close, it couldn't hardly engage. Now couple thousand safety clicks later and it's loose enough to be smooth. Id just get a new sear and fit it.

I emailed Eric. He says to use a new sear and fit the safety side corner of the sear to fit the notch in the safety. See attached pdf.

How do I adjust the safety side corner. I have never done thise before. Does anyone have pictures of this? What do I have to grind exactly and how much?

Tanfoglio Xtreme Install guidelines Hammer-Sear Release V1c.pdf

I got two new sears. They are oversized so the safety doesn't engage. I have already waisted one trying to fit it with a dremel tool. One down, one to go :)

What is the best way to fit the sear? Which tools, approximately how much material must be removed.

What dremel accessory is best used for this or do have to use a diamond hand file?

I installed and removed the sear dozens of times to get it JUST able to engage.

With the sear in place, look where the safety hits. It's that under edge that needs trimming. I used a dremel and just kissed it w a carbide die, but a sanding wheel bit would work. Just install, check, remove, grind a tiny amount, install, check,remove, grind, repeat, repeat, repeat.

Some installed sear with spring each time using a slave pin, I didn't install the spring until finally happy with the fit. Yes, you need to manually do what the spring did while checking. That was no problem compared to aligning the spring with my fat fingers!

I called the fit "good" when the safety was able to be forced up with some effort. The parts will loosen with use. The best guidance is to be extra super patient and expect to take 20-25 trials to get it just right. As you found, metal grinds off easier than it goes on!

Mill file works well and like everyone says, just take a little off at a time and keep checking the fit. Make a slave pin from a nail to assist with putting the sear cage assembly together.

I'm a massive home gunsmith and will dremel anything that can be dremel'd but fitting a safety/sear is not one of those things in my mind. use a file and some fine emery paper. you are removing very small amounts of material.

I guess I have steadier hands? Lol.

Your way is great, but the bit I used matched the curve of the safety, so it (in my mind) had a benefit. It also literally was a couple dozen light grinds to remove the minimum to just barely get it to clear. Many methods work, many fail. The real key is patience to remove as little as possible, check and repeat many times until it just barely clears. At least that's my opinion!

I succeeded fitting the sear to the safety. With a lot of patience, removing very little and repeating, repeating, repeating...

And suddenly the safety engaged :) Everything works fine now. Thank you for the support.

Edited by HeavyD7042