Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Xtreme 'Titan' hammer

joakim

So does anyone by chance have an extra one-piece sear that they fitted to a Titan hammer? Or would someone more mechanically inclined and with the proper tools like to fit one and I'll pay them for the trouble? I have to do the old school way of sandpaper to remove material and it's a pain.

What? The sear needs to be fit to the safety, pretty sure the sear/ hammer engagement should be left alone.

THIS ^^^^

Only fit the safety leg on the sear and the EXT FPB to the one piece sear.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, I guess I was vague. I only fit the safety leg on the sear to make sure the safety will engage since putting that hammer in seems to move it forward where safety won't engage/stay engaged.

The hooks on the titan hammer are much shorter, but also positioned higher. Farther from its rotationg axis meaning yes the sear will never drop as low when cocked as a stock hammer, this also means the fpb lifter arm on the sear will never elevate as high, which is why we need the extended fpb in the first place.

The hooks on the titan hammer are much shorter, but also positioned higher. Farther from its rotationg axis meaning yes the sear will never drop as low when cocked as a stock hammer, this also means the fpb lifter arm on the sear will never elevate as high, which is why we need the extended fpb in the first place.

Problem is .508-.509 with Henning gen 4 firing pin works on one of mine but not the other. FPS is not extended enough to block a cocked Titan hammer.

I have the Titan Hammer, 1 piece sear, and Henning gen 4 extended firing pin in my Stock II. I bought an extended FPB from LRA, but It seems like it is right on the edge of being long enough. Sometimes when i rack the slide then push on the FP it will stop it once or twice then get by it, sometimes it doesn't engage it at all. I am waiting on a solution from LRA, who has been in communication with Eric G. Its been over a month since I first identified the problem, and I still have no solution. I would definitely not try shooting a major match with the gun for fear of being bumped to open....

So just to clarify my stock FPB measures 0.4955" long and my extended one measures 0.5075" long. Zach at LRA heard back from Eric at EGD and he said that I should check function with the Stock or Xtreme firing pin. I will try the stock one tonight and see how it works. He also says to make sure the sear leg that lifts the FPB has not been filed, which mine has not. He is saying because the FP is not an original or Xtreme, that may be the problem...

Looking closely at my Henning Gen 4 FP I am wondering if it does have something to do with the problem. If you look at the attached photo, I have circled the edge that engages the FPB. If you look it is actually not sharp, it is somewhat rounded. I would think for reliable blocking it would have to remain sharp. The rounded edge is grabbing sometimes on the FPB, but other times is just allowing the FP to slip by the FPB. Anyone else with the same FP, maybe take a look at yours and let us know how it looks/functions.

post-33893-0-39958000-1434034943_thumb.j

So is everyone having to run an extended FPB with their titan hammer? Maybe I am just lucky but I haven't had to change FPB's with my gun with titan hammer.

So you're saying you got the titan hammer put it in your S3 that had already been switched over from 2 to 1 piece sear, and left the original FPB in and when you cock the hammer and push the FP with a pen or something the FPB catches it and keeps it from depressing? What FP are you using again?

So is everyone having to run an extended FPB with their titan hammer? Maybe I am just lucky but I haven't had to change FPB's with my gun with titan hammer.

So you're saying you got the titan hammer put it in your S3 that had already been switched over from 2 to 1 piece sear, and left the original FPB in and when you cock the hammer and push the FP with a pen or something the FPB catches it and keeps it from depressing? What FP are you using again?

Yes. I installed it along with one piece sear at same time (whole trigger job done at once thing) and all I did was polish the bottom/top of FPB (whatever end sear touches) and no issues. Running a Gen4 Henning pin now but had a Gen3 in it for couple times cuz gen4 hadn't made to me yet and no issues. I can push the firing pin and won't go forward unless I press the FPB (such as if I have slide locked all the way back) and then will move forward but functions fine. I had ordered some extended FPBs while back just cuz I'm a spare parts junkie but never have had to install one. Both my III's and II's are stock FPBs

Edited by bayougump

I'll be checking this tonight myself.

I have the Titan hammer, one piece sear and Gen 4 FP in one of my Stock IIs - FP block does not engage. I'm hoping that will change when I add the Extended FP block that should be arriving today.

Yes. I installed it along with one piece sear at same time (whole trigger job done at once thing) and all I did was polish the bottom/top of FPB (whatever end sear touches) and no issues. Running a Gen4 Henning pin now but had a Gen3 in it for couple times cuz gen4 hadn't made to me yet and no issues. I can push the firing pin and won't go forward unless I press the FPB (such as if I have slide locked all the way back) and then will move forward but functions fine. I had ordered some extended FPBs while back just cuz I'm a spare parts junkie but never have had to install one. Both my III's and II's are stock FPBs

if the slide is forward and the hammer is back, can you push your firing pin forward with a punch? I'm doubtful on this one, particularly with the gen4 firing pin.

Edited by earthshine402

What are you doubtful about? I am not understanding

I can push the firing pin and won't go forward unless I press the FPB (such as if I have slide locked all the way back) and then will move forward but functions fine

Checking the functionality of the FPB while the slide is back is meaningless for a Tanfo. If you have: the 1 pc sear, the titan hammer, and the stock FPB, does this combination successfully block the firing pin from moving forward with the slide forward, hammer back, not pulling the trigger?

Does the firing pin move freely when you hold on the trigger, and does it pass the "pencil test", no light strikes at all?

Yes, the stock FPB doesn't allow the FP to move forward when slide is forward and hammer back. Yes it's passed the pencil test and I've yet to have a light strike either.

lucky then.. i can't even use the gen4 pin in my S3.. even with the extended FPB..

Yes, the stock FPB doesn't allow the FP to move forward when slide is forward and hammer back. Yes it's passed the pencil test and I've yet to have a light strike either.

lucky then.. i can't even use the gen4 pin in my S3.. even with the extended FPB..

I think I got 1-2 spare gen3 if wanna trade? Haven't had an issue with any of gen4's in any of mine

I think I got 1-2 spare gen3 if wanna trade? Haven't had an issue with any of gen4's in any of mine

I'll let you know..

Well, I'm not having much luck here - but I think it's the Gen 4 firing pin - not the Titan hammer.

I have two Stock IIs that I'm working on. Both guns have the one piece sear and brand new extended firing pin block.

One of them has the Delta hammer. The other has a Titan hammer.

I tried each of them with the Gen 3 and Gen 4 firing pins.

Here's what I got:

Stock II (#1)

Titan hammer and gen 4 firing pin = firing pin block fails.

Titan hammer and gen 3 firing pin = firing pin block works

Stock II (#2)

Delta hammer and gen 4 firing pin = firing pin block fails

Delta hammer and gen 3 firing pin = firing pin block works

Interestingly, in both cases, with the Gen 4 pin, the firing pin block initially worked. But after a few dry-fire pulls, it failed in both guns.

I suspect they would work with the 2-piece sear, but I have no desire to go back to those.

Edited by tbarker13

I checked last night and have the exact same results with the extended FPB and 1 piece sear:

Stock II

Titan hammer and gen 4 firing pin = firing pin block fails.

Titan hammer and factory firing pin = firing pin block works

And again the Gen 4 some time catches a little or you can feel a bump when the FP slides past the FPB but noting by any means reliable... I really hope we're not all going to have to down grade back to the gen 3 FPs for reliable function. :angry2:

If Henning is out there maybe this would be a good time for him to weigh in his opinion/experience???