Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Xtreme 'Titan' hammer

joakim

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just sanded a bit from the bottom...the part that sticks out of the slide when it is installed.

Basically how I came to do it is that the factory part, once I installed the EG hammer was not working at all. With the gun cocked, you could push the firing pin all the way through.

I bought the extended firing pin safety and with that installed the gun would not fire at all. I took a bit off the bottom until it would clear. The difference between the gun not firing at all, and the safety not working at all was the difference between .504 (the size of the now modified firing pin safety) and .497 (the size of the stock one)

Hopefully I'm explaining it well enough for you, and I must admit it was not my idea to do all of that. Brandon E. helped me figure out what was causing my light strikes.

We recommend you to install your new hammer with a new sear to avoid long time installation.

IPSC production legal

NB: Hammer package does not include interruptor, hammer strut and pins. Must be ordered separately

So, if I have the 1 piece sear, and an existing Delta hammer, could/should I re-use the existing interruptor/hammer strut and pins, or am I better off ordering all the parts as a replacement hammer 'kit' that is more easily swapped in and out?

Also, I see some of the parts at LRA (Titan Hammer, Interruptor & Interruptor Pin) but not the hammer strut and hammer strut pin. IF I need them, any preferences on where to get them?

So I'm still struggling with this... Here in the US, where we can use whatever hammer spring weight we want, and we can use the Henning extended firing pin, if we want to be able to reliably set off CCI primers, and achieve the best trigger pull in double and single action, should we be going with the Titan or Xtreme Delta??? (Personally I like the delta's aesthetics much better, and it looks lighter, and as though it would have much better lock times)

Thanks!

PS: I do understand this may come down to personal opinion, but lets hear all of yours...

Edited by EngineerEli

I ordered the Titan Hammer, will see how it goes.

My current setup with Extreme parts and stock springs is a smooth ~7 lb 6 oz DA / 2 lb 13 oz SA and is setting off all my (Wolf, Fiocchi, Win & Federal) primers and reportedly CCI primers well.

I am curious what benefits I can realize with the Titan hammer, reduced power springs and Federal Primers.

Take the firing pin block out and see if you still have problems with the CCI primers. After fitting my FPB properly and making sure I load my ammo correctly (seat those primers in there nice and deep!) I have no issues with CCI

Thank you so much for the advice. I had function tested without the FPB already so knew it wasn't that. After reading your post I seated my cci's deeper then function tested and low and behold no light strikes. It is amazing how that small increase in seating depth gives the FP just that much more force to reliably set them off.

• 4 weeks later...

Well I have finished my Stock III work minus a fitted Extended FPB. I was having a ridiculously high number of light primer strikes out just in DA mode. it would always go off on another DA pull on the same round. Remington primers.

Contemplated the New Gen IV Henning Firing pin and switching from the Delta Hammer to the Titan. I know my gun is on the edge with being a light pull. I'm at a 2.5lb SA and a 7.5lb DA pull.

After reading this thread I went and seated aboutt 100 rounds very carefully. Stayed after the match today and shot all 100 rounds in DA mode. Thats rough to do LOL. Only 4 LPS in the whole batch and the 4 that did it went off on the second DA pull. So it looks like if I want to leave the gun as is and keep using Remingtons, I need to seat my primers much more carefully. I currently case gauge all my ammo and check for high primers, but had no idea how much lower these need to be.

Edited by praetorian97

• 3 weeks later...

Just installed a Titan hammer in a stock II. Kept the original 2 piece sear, and 2 wing interrupter in. Everything has been polished and EG light hammer and FP springs.

DA was unnoticeable. In SA the trigger creep is pretty much gone, due to the smaller hammer hooks. It did add pre travel though.

Might try a T-3 interrupter. Reset seems similar. Safety is inop, will have to be fitted.

So really only gain was less trigger creep, but it added pre travel. May just go back to the stock hammer, it was working fine. Just wanted to try the Titan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

I have a Titan hammer in one my Stock III's and honestly I can't tell big difference in the Delta. The SA is crazy short but I don't think that's got to to with the hammer. I just got my other stock II in yesterday and since I wanted to shoot it I took the delta hammer out my other Stock III and I think works just fine. Eventually I'm gonna try the Titan in one but have to get another one piece dear as I removed too much material from safety leg and the safety won't stay engaged with the Titan hammer

I've done a lot of testing with the Delta Vs Titan in a Stock III. If you want a "fully" reliable trigger run the 13# Wolff with either hammer. If you want a lighter trigger with the Xtreme Light Springs, you should run the Titan.

You shouldn't have to be limited to a certain primer or setup. There is a reason Eric designed a whole new hammer.

Edited by praetorian97

I've done a lot of testing with the Delta Vs Titan in a Stock III. If you want a "fully" reliable trigger run the 13# Wolff with either hammer. If you want a lighter trigger with the Xtreme Light Springs, you should run the Titan.

You shouldn't have to be limited to a certain primer or setup. There is a reason Eric designed a whole new hammer.

What firing pin did you use for this testing? I'm having some trouble with the normal and extended firing pin blocks with Henning gen 3 and 4 firing pins regarding proper blockage of the pin when not pulling the trigger. I wonder if it can be reliable with the factory firing pin- regarding correct safety function and reliable primer ignition. Edited by earthshine402

What firing pin did you use for this testing? I'm having some trouble with the normal and extended firing pin blocks with Henning gen 3 and 4 firing pins regarding proper blockage of the pin when not pulling the trigger. I wonder if it can be reliable with the factory firing pin- regarding correct safety function and reliable primer ignition.

If I understand you correctly I am experiencing the same thing.

I have the Titan Hammer, 1 piece sear, and Henning gen 4 extended firing pin in my Stock II. I bought an extended FPB from LRA, but It seems like it is right on the edge of being long enough. Sometimes when i rack the slide then push on the FP it will stop it once or twice then get by it, sometimes it doesn't engage it at all. I am waiting on a solution from LRA, who has been in communication with Eric G. Its been over a month since I first identified the problem, and I still have no solution. I would definitely not try shooting a major match with the gun for fear of being bumped to open....

Trigger in SA and especially DA is pretty awesome though!

Edited by EngineerEli

One piece sear or two piece? Did you fit the Extended FPB?

One piece sear.

With the extended block, no fitting initially, the gen 4 henning firing pin was not blocked. Initial tests with gen 3 pin at first appeared ok, but i experienced a few light strikes. I sanded the block from 0.505 to 0.504 and then the gen 3 pin was not blocked. Seems like something is right on the edge with the 1 pc sear.

I put the factory pin in with my modified extended block and it blocked the pin, i have not test fired this yet.

So does anyone by chance have an extra one-piece sear that they fitted to a Titan hammer? Or would someone more mechanically inclined and with the proper tools like to fit one and I'll pay them for the trouble? I have to do the old school way of sandpaper to remove material and it's a pain.

So does anyone by chance have an extra one-piece sear that they fitted to a Titan hammer? Or would someone more mechanically inclined and with the proper tools like to fit one and I'll pay them for the trouble? I have to do the old school way of sandpaper to remove material and it's a pain.

What? The sear needs to be fit to the safety, pretty sure the sear/ hammer engagement should be left alone.