Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2015 FNH Championship

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see rule 2.5.3.3 is still included. It was my understanding that one was going to change for 2015?

No and was never under any consideration. That will never change.

And it still is -

6.2.3 Each stage will be weighted based on anticipated length of time to shoot the stage. The following three point values shall be assigned to a stage: 125 pts, 100 pts, 75 pts

Linda Chico

Is there any issue with using a Silo in Tac Ops?

I've heard rumor that it will be allowed as a barricade brace, but you won't be allowed to support the rifle on it- similar to the ruling on vertical foregrips in the past years. I'd rather not take mine off, but I don't want to play in Open!

Is there any issue with using a Silo in Tac Ops?

I've heard rumor that it will be allowed as a barricade brace, but you won't be allowed to support the rifle on it- similar to the ruling on vertical foregrips in the past years. I'd rather not take mine off, but I don't want to play in Open!

Isn't that a supporting device?

5.3.3.3 Supporting devices (bipods, etc.) are prohibited.

Description courtesy of B&T:

The BT53 SILO is a novel and patent pending product that attaches by means of a Picatinny rail and provides; a textured front that can be pressed into barricades, Rubber side bars for “soft” side bracing and grip, a bean-bag bottom for “soft” interface on ledges, windows etc. and two flushcups. One Flushcup is designed to accept the Novel BT54 “Flushcup Stud” so the Silo can installed and removed with the push of a button.

• Weighs 7.8 ounces
  • 6061T6 machined aluminum
  • Type III Hard Anodize dyed black
  • 1000 Denier Black Cordura
  • Forward Rifle Support
  • Made in America
Edited by alma

And it still is -

6.2.3 Each stage will be weighted based on anticipated length of time to shoot the stage. The following three point values shall be assigned to a stage: 125 pts, 100 pts, 75 pts

Linda Chico

Sorry Linda, I swear I read the rules.... Just not far enough.

Excellemt point, Alma. Because it is in fact a supporting device. Whether everyone chooses to acknowledge it or not.

As advertised by the manufacturer

A manufacturer who has nothing to do with 3-Gun. Supporting device is pretty open to interpretation.

That's a debate for a different thread. I'm asking for the rules, not the opinion of the Internet.

Excellemt point, Alma. Because it is in fact a supporting device. Whether everyone chooses to acknowledge it or not.

A manufacturer who has nothing to do with 3-Gun. Supporting device is pretty open to interpretation.

That's a debate for a different thread. I'm asking for the rules, not the opinion of the Internet.

Just sharing the rule banning supporting devices which this clearly seems to be. Not sure how you could possibly classify it as something other than a supporting device.

Just sharing the rule banning supporting devices which this clearly seems to be. Not sure how you could possibly classify it as something other than a supporting device.

Well, thanks for sharing. I read the rules before asking the question. It's not classified as a supporting device in 3GN rules.

My opinion is a supporting device holds up a rifle without your hands on it. My opinion doesn't matter. I'm not the match director. Just looking for clarity so I know whether or not to remove it, pretty simple.

Last year, I heard there was a person using a triple mag coupler which was ruled a supporting device. There's really no advantage at this match because Larry will find a way to make sure what ever you are using doesn't come into play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mberry, I can speak from previous experience. I had a bipod spud on my bottom rail (that I slip a Versa-Pod bipod on for zeroing and shooting DMR matches). At last year's FNH, an RO told me that if my spud touched a barricade or prop port, I would go to Open. I took the spud off.

Last year, I heard there was a person using a triple mag coupler which was ruled a supporting device. There's really no advantage at this match because Larry will find a way to make sure what ever you are using doesn't come into play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually what he had was a Quad Coupler. The two center mags were loaded and were probably 30 rounds, the two outer mags were unloaded 40 rounders. He actually made it a point that it was a cool way to use mags instead of a bi-pod to skirt the rule. Had he loaded the two additional mags he would have actually been ok!.

If you use the Silo as a supporting device you will be moved to open. You could have it on your gun and use it as a barricade stop, or handstop, but if it is between your rifle and a horizontal surface it is considered a support.

If you use the Silo as a supporting device you will be moved to open. You could have it on your gun and use it as a barricade stop, or handstop, but if it is between your rifle and a horizontal surface it is considered a support.

Thanks for the clarification. Looking forward to the match!

Howard, is that the same concept with the bipod stud swivel attachment noted above (or a small rail section added to the bottom of the handguard for a bipod or light-not for the match of course)? Seems a little unfair to call something hard, metal and thin a 'supporting device.' Sounds like either are legal per your description above if used as a barricade stop, but are these minor things illegal in Tac Ops if they happen to rest on a horiz surface?