Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Just Watched Nils Video, Cheap Limited Gear?

Smitty79

I'm normally a Production shooter. I've bought a CZ Tac Sport for Limited some day. I've been going to web sites looking at $250 holsters and $100 mag pouches. Then I saw Nils Jonasson on the cover of Front Sight. It looked like he was using a basic Blade-Tech OWB holster. I watched the videos of him tearing up the Limited Nationals and it looks like he's using Production legal mag pouches.

If he can win Limited Nationals with some plastic fantastic stuff, why would I spend 3 to 4X on the unobtanium stuff? Seems like a Kydex holster on a BOSS hanger and some plastic ghost pouches (Total cost $150) would get me to 99% of what $1000 worth of stuff would get me to. I guess if I peak out at 84.6% on Limited classifiers some day, I may have regrets. But I don't think that's going to happen.

A race holster will only save you about a tenth on the draw. Unless you are using a gun that doesn't fit in a Blade Tech style holster, .10 isn't enough to worry about in a USPSA stage.

I switched from the BOSS set up to a DAA Racemaster. For me it was worth it and I would not switch back unless I were shooting production.

The biggest benefit to the Racemaster for me was the ability to position the pistol exactly where I needed it to be.

Nothing against the BOSS set up. I believe it is the best production set up out there but when I changed divisions I decided to take make the change and I am happy with the result.

Edited by ToddKS

I'm normally a Production shooter. I've bought a CZ Tac Sport for Limited some day. I've been going to web sites looking at $250 holsters and $100 mag pouches.

Where are you shopping for your gear, Macy's? Shooter's Connection has DAA Race master holsters and pouches for much less than your figures and that is about the best gear out there. With the benos member discount it's a great deal!

RM holster 199 minus discount RM pouches 59 minus discount. By my rough calculations thats just over $350 for the most expensive gear they sell.

Edited by Sarge

OK Sarge, so it's more like $500 with shipping. Still 2x. But now maybe it's worth it.

For the the guys who like the DAA, which is more important to get first? The holster or the pouches. I have enough Ghost pouches and Kydex holsters to set up a limited belt now.

For the rest of you, my Production rig all came from Ben.

OK Sarge, so it's more like $500 with shipping. Still 2x. But now maybe it's worth it.

For the the guys who like the DAA, which is more important to get first? The holster or the pouches. I have enough Ghost pouches and Kydex holsters to set up a limited belt now.

I would get a holster. That is the most used in dry fire and drills. Also look at the RACER at SC. Even cheaper and some say almost as good as the RM. The RM, for a race holster is just so easy to use. Locking and unlocking is a one finger affair and so easy to figure out you can almost run it just as fast as when unlocked. And if SC charges you $150 to ship i'll eat your hat! :cheers::)

What is the discount at SC for Enos members?

Email Chuck at SC, tell them your BE screen name, and he'll add you to the discount group. There is not a set % discount

Correct. Some items discounted more than others. It averages between 5-10% probably. With some items being much more.

Hello: I like the Blade Tech with the Invictus hanger on it for limited. I can get the holster lower than my DAA Racemaster I use for Open. I really like the Racemaster pouches since I can adjust the tension quickly and the mags won't fall out of them like some other mag pouches I have used(CR Speed). The Safariland stuff works well also, I like the 771's and there closed holster but I can't remember the number of it. Belts I use DAA and CR Speed, both work well. Thanks, Eric

If you go back a few years in the videos you will see he was using a race master before being sponsored by blade tech. Often pros choose gear a sponsor provides.

I would say winning or losing a USPSA match has a lot more to do with what happens with the gun in your hands than where it starts. Nils and Vogel seem to do plenty well with the kydex gear. There is usually a draw, and maybe a reload in LTD. Its entirely possible to win nationals, world shoot, etc with kydex... but that doesn't mean a particular piece of gear will work or not work for you. You seem to see less kydex in more draw intensive venues like steel challenge, and more kydex in 3 gun where again, draw time isn't as critical to the results of the match.

I use the bladetech with a boss holster in limited to keep everything in the same as my SS gear so switching is not a big deal, I used a race holster but like said above was only saving me about a .10 then switching to SS was difficult with all the gear in a diffent place

My first Limited holster was an $85 kydex DOH from Center of Mass when Rick had the company. A local guy operates COM after Rick passed and is making the same holster with a few refinements. I'm still using Rick's for 3-gun. Eventually I jumped on the skeletonized race holster band wagon and got one from Manny Bragg (~$180?).

My first Ltd mag pouches were the Safariland 771's (still using them for 3-gun) but for a while I was using the Ghost pouches before treating myself to a set of DAA Race Masters and a magnet.

I would get a holster. That is the most used in dry fire and drills. Also look at the RACER at SC. Even cheaper and some say almost as good as the RM. The RM, for a race holster is just so easy to use. Locking and unlocking is a one finger affair and so easy to figure out you can almost run it just as fast as when unlocked. And if SC charges you $150 to ship i'll eat your hat! :cheers::)

I like the racer mag pouches as good (better actually) than the race master. so that saves some dough, BUT I would definitely get the racer master HOLSTER over the racer as it comes with the new magnetic insert which is really nice. a lot better than the older type. plus you have the ability to change it to suit another gun for only $60 or so down the line.

So my limited rig would be:

DAA racer pouches (around $40 each on stoegers shop from memory) $33 X 2 = $66 (ben stoeger pro shop)

DAA racer pouch with magnet attached (use as front most pouch) $48 X 1 (or if running bullets out, by a third regular racer pouch and buy the magnet for $40). - this was from shooters connection

DAA race master holster with magnetic insert $200 (ben stoeger pro shop)

CR speed DELUXE hi-torque belt $59 (this from shooters connection http://www.shootersconnectionstore.com/CR-Speed-Super-Hi-Torque-Belt-Deluxe-Silver-Belt-P2382.aspx )

That's $373. If you want 4 pouches that's another $33.

Postage shouldn't be more than $15.

That's a rig that will last you practically forever. I have a production rig running the racer pouches and an open rig running the race master pouches. the racer pouches are actually holding up better and I've had them longer. plus they are lighter and a bit smoother to work with. The race masters only advantage in my eyes is they look nicer in the colours. Racers look awesome in black but a bit less awesome in colours.

I got some ghost pouches and they certainly work, but the strength of them is way below the DAA stuff. it's that easy to break kind of plastic. plus the hanger design means they take up heaps of space on the belt and cause heaps of belt separation. plus when you mount bullets out config they still take up the same space (again, hanger design). the way they apply tension is also not as nice a design as the DAA pouches.

still plenty of people use gear that is different and shoot like champions. I just like having nicely designed and nicely made gear. it's purely my opinion.

plenty run safariland, bladetech, comptac, H&S, guga ribas, CR speed (I like those) etc. and many of them kick ass!