Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2 years later still no powder

theslasher

That is an execellent point on the insurance and I will mention as I see you are in Ohio, currently Ohio Fire Code says you can store a max of 8lbs in a private residence, now don't get me wrong that is a low amount and would be difficult to enforce if not impossible but I mention it just for the same reason you said, the insurance. Insurance can jam you up if you are over what is legally allowed. Not saying they will, just that they can. Ohio is an ICC state, so that 8lbs may apply to a number of other states as well. By the way thank you for throwing it out of the house if you can. I certainly hope you never have to though.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dunno - I've bought just over 70# of powder over the past 2 years. Most but not all online, one nice but small local deal of a reloader getting out fit (maybe 4-5# of powders I use, a couple others I gave or sold *cheap* to friends). Not all of it was at 'ideal' pricing, but leaving out the nice but small local deal, all was in the $17.50-$23/lb range besides a couple of # of overpriced gun show powders. 30+ # of this was pistol powder..especially for pistol powder, a few $ per lb difference just doesn't impact cost per round much, although I do get irked when I see someone selling an 8# or rifle powder for $200...and then go elsewhere.

Was it a huge PITA? Yeah, at times...others was no problem, once I sorted 'what other powders will work well enough?' AND was ready to jump on it when it came along.

There's nothing worthwhile truly local to me powder or primer-wise, but I have a pair of semi-LGS an hour away, both of which manage to keep a fair amount of powder on the shelves, including when some powders have been tough to find online.

All of my purchases have been 'solo,' but now ironically, it seems large rifle primers are tougher to find, now that I'm starting to load .308.. :angry2:

I'm going to second the suggestion of going in with friends on a bulk order - I've got enough to keep me going for 'some time,' and will put together a 50# HazMat back-order with a few local friends with a reputable place, and it'll come in when it comes in.

None of this is intended to imply it's all smiles and unicorns, just you do what you've got to to build up some cushion, then jump when you see a 'deal' (sometimes simply being defined as a specific powder being available at ALL, sometimes $, qty, ...)...and it is, IMO, getting better, if still not 'normal.'

You wouldn't necessarily be able to, just depends on the circumstances. Again I was only mentioning as a courtesy but if a large quantity of powder burned up especially over 25lbs there would be burn patterns that would very clear indication that would leave us to suspect it and then the lab results would confirm, also if it was in a sealed container that was airtight it could explode. We had a firefighter that was actually shot in the leg on a structure fire. Bullets that are not in a chamber will go off but because it is not chambered the bullet really doesn't go anywhere and has no velocity behind it. In this case a gun was stored with a round chambered, the weapon was under the mattress, the bed was on fire, the round went off and the firefighter sustained a penetrating gunshot wound to his leg. Again in circumstances where people have 50-60lbs of powder in their basement and we make entry on a structure fire, that could easily cause a catastrophic event that may kill or injury a firefighter, if you advise firefighters of the powder and the location they can adjust tactics to hopefully prevent something like that from happening. I currently have powder, primers and ammo in my reloading room, if there was a fire here, and I could I would just tell the arriving firefighters what I had and where. They will still attack the fire and do what they have to but could take extra precautions to prevent it from being a larger problem or a nasty surprise. I know all kinds of people keep 15-20 gallons of gas in their attached garages, if I am fighting a fire in their garage I would sure like to know that before I put my guys in that garage with a hoseline if at all possible.

FYI: The limit for WA is 25 lbs. If over than 25 but under 50 lbs, it needs to be stored in a metal cabinet.

That doesn't make any sense. The metal closet then becomes the bomb. The plastic jugs on a shelf would be the safest I believe unless you go to the expense of building/buying a true "magazine" for storage.

The closet comments == bomb are spot on. AFAIK, many counties/states defer to the NFPA 495 info, which is also referenced in SAAMI documentation on 'proper' storage of smokeless powder, primers, etc.

http://www.saami.org/specifications_and_information/publications/download/SAAMI_ITEM_200-Smokeless_Powder.pdf

Partial quote:

Smokeless propellants intended for personal use in quantities not exceeding 20 lb. (9.1 kg) shall be permitted to be stored in original containers in residences. Quantities exceeding 20 lb. (9.1 kg), but not exceeding 50 lb. (22.7 kg), shall be permitted to be stored in resi- dences where kept in a wooden box or cabinet having walls of at least 1 in. (25.4 mm) nominal thickness.

From Alliant:

DO NOT SUBJECT THE STORAGE CABINETS TO CLOSE CONFINEMENT. STORAGE CABINETS SHOULD BE CONSTRUCTED OF INSULATING MATERIALS AND WITH A WEAK WALL SEAMS OR JOINTS TO PROVIDE AN EASY MEANS OF SELF-VENTING.

10-3.7 Smokeless propellants intended for personal use in quantities not exceeding 20 lb (9.1 kg) may be stored in original containers in residences. Quantities exceeding 20 lb (9.1 kg), but not exceeding 50 lb (22.7 kg), may be stored in residences if kept in a wooden box or cabinet having walls or at least 1-inc. (25.4-mm) nominal thickness.
Edited by rtp

Sigh - BE's editor when doing multiple manual quotes got the better of me, and kept truncating the end of my post above.

I don't agree with the limits imposed by the various links above, but wherever you may live, it might be wise to determine what the local limits/statutes are (if any), and stop people from posting about it being a 'good idea' to store powder or 10s of thousands of primers inside a sealed ammo can, etc. ;)

"I'm going to second the suggestion of going in with friends on a bulk order - I've got enough to keep me going for 'some time,' and will put together a 50# HazMat back-order with a few local friends with a reputable place, and it'll come in when it comes in."

Someone please tell me where I can back order Accurate No. 5, or any pistol powder for that matter. I haven't done a thorough search. I do see Titegroup out there but the manufacturer of my coated bullets say it's not recommended. I used PB for a long time but it's discontinued. I have about 5 pounds of 7625 which gave me some inconsistent results in a small chrono test, and about 8 pounds of WSF. I wasn't sure about the WSF, but I bought it anyway...

I see that some guys use 7625 and WSF for 9mm, so I assume I'll be OK for a while. I load about 500/wk and really don't have a lot of time for shopping around.

"I'm going to second the suggestion of going in with friends on a bulk order - I've got enough to keep me going for 'some time,' and will put together a 50# HazMat back-order with a few local friends with a reputable place, and it'll come in when it comes in."[/size]

Someone please tell me where I can back order Accurate No. 5, or any pistol powder for that matter. I haven't done a thorough search. I do see Titegroup out there but the manufacturer of my coated bullets say it's not recommended. I used PB for a long time but it's discontinued. I have about 5 pounds of 7625 which gave me some inconsistent results in a small chrono test, and about 8 pounds of WSF. I wasn't sure about the WSF, but I bought it anyway...

I see that some guys use 7625 and WSF for 9mm, so I assume I'll be OK for a while. I load about 500/wk and really don't have a lot of time for shopping around.

WSF should work fine with lead bullets, coated or not.

"I'm going to second the suggestion of going in with friends on a bulk order - I've got enough to keep me going for 'some time,' and will put together a 50# HazMat back-order with a few local friends with a reputable place, and it'll come in when it comes in."

I have had AA#5 listed in the classifieds for months, not one taker. I don't know of a place you can back order it and I haven't seen much of it over the past year (I saw it regularly before that). I'd think WSF would do fine for 9mm.

When I first started with this reloading hobby a mere 13 months ago, I went to Cabelas and asked for some powder and was given this blank expression by the salesman. So then I hit the on-line suppliers and after a week of frustration and no powder I decided to try the LGS. At the time, I was reading posts on online forums about the powder situation and based on what posters were posting, I was convinced that hoarders were the main cause of the supply problem.

In January 2014, I found success at my LGS in that I purchased 1 pound of AA#2, a pound of Titegroup and a pound of Power Pistol. I set up my press and misc tools and started using the AA#2. Returning to the same LGS two weeks later, I purchased all the AA#2 he had which was 3 pounds and another pound of TG. So at this time last year I had 4 pounds of AA#2, 2 pounds TG and a pound of PP.

As January became Feb., then March, I found other pistol powders at other LGS and my collection grew. Since that time, I have used up 12 pounds of powder and my collection currently has in excess of 70 pounds waiting to be used. In addition, I have a lot of powder on back order but have yet to see any of that material, some of those orders are a year old now. My attitude is get it if you can. I, like others, do a lot of shooting and I supply ammo to my wife, son and brother who also compete. If I had 200 pounds, I would use it way before I retire.

Over the last several months, I have passed on available powders locally. When I drive past a store, I stop in and if there is powder, I get some. As another poster has stated, I'm a little pickier now and will only get those powders that I have found success for in my applications and I will pay market value but not higher. The experience of the last year has convinced me that the real hoarder (if you insist on that term) are the commercial ammo loaders, not the handloader (who uses 10s of pounds of powder, not tons of powder). But if someone insists on calling me a hoarder then have at it. I will not be caught scrambling the next time a crisis hits. BTW, I have a lot of primers also.

I was convinced that hoarders were the main cause of the supply problem.

My attitude is get it if you can. I, like others, do a lot of shooting and I supply ammo to my wife, son and brother who also compete. If I had 200 pounds, I would use it way before I retire.

The experience of the last year has convinced me that the real hoarder (if you insist on that term) are the commercial ammo loaders

But if someone insists on calling me a hoarder then have at it. I will not be caught scrambling the next time a crisis hits. BTW, I have a lot of primers also.

Why must you call names?!? We all love to shoot :cheers: We have more in common than not, so why let inventory levels and personal financial choices divide us??? :roflol::cheers::roflol:

WSF does fine with jacketed or coated in 9mm Minor...wish I could actually score some more.

Try MidSouth, Grafs, Gamamiels(sp?), and a few others - I think at least MidSouth is accepting some back-orders now?

FYI: The limit for WA is 25 lbs. If over than 25 but under 50 lbs, it needs to be stored in a metal cabinet.

That doesn't make any sense. The metal closet then becomes the bomb. The plastic jugs on a shelf would be the safest I believe unless you go to the expense of building/buying a true "magazine" for storage.

Metal cabinets designed for storage of flammable materials are safer because they provide an extra barrier to flame and heat. The same rules are in place for gasoline cans stored inside buildings. Also, the way the cabinet is made also determines how it will react to a prolonged heat source. (there may be areas in which pressure can escape, unlike a gun safe)

• 2 weeks later...

Over 2 years after Sandy Hook and people still buy every last pound of powder they can get their hands on. When will the madness end? I miss the days of being able to buy whatever I want when I wanted it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't see people hoarding, my LGS has a good supply of powder and primers and the shelves stay full.... What I do see is a ton of new shooters who are actually out on the range shooting..... Everyone I shoot with reloads.... 5 years ago very few people I know reloaded...

Hi Shooters,

There must be a list or way of knowing what gunpowders, semi-smokeless products are the same even if from different companies. Which powders perform the same as or like others, the same burn rate, density, is it economical (pricing), low or high pressure, clean burning or not, uniform ignition, developed for what caliber and major or minor load velocity. I think we reloaders need a list of smokeless gunpowders that we can us if and when we need to substitute another powder and get the same or like performance.

Mell

Hi Shooters,

There must be a list or way of knowing what gunpowders, semi-smokeless products are the same even if from different companies. Which powders perform the same as or like others, the same burn rate, density, is it economical (pricing), low or high pressure, clean burning or not, uniform ignition, developed for what caliber and major or minor load velocity. I think we reloaders need a list of smokeless gunpowders that we can us if and when we need to substitute another powder and get the same or like performance.

Mell

Is there a list of smokeless gunpowders that indicate similar density, pressure, ignition and burn rate??

Hi Shooters,

Mell

Which powders are you trying to get/find a replacement for?