Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2015 Brownells Rockcastle Pro Am 3 Gun Chamiopship - Official

What was the reason for the AM stage being thrown out? The pallet on the left shot up allowing later squads to shoot the plate behind in from the right side of the box instead of moving all the way to the left?

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Big thanks to the Rockcastle staff, the Nobles, Gary Wellborn, Linda Chico, John Harris, Joe Harris, all the folks who RO'd, and the sponsors - Doublestar, Adams Arms, Brownells, Crucible Arms, etc. - for another GREAT ProAm match weekend. Your efforts are recognized & appreciated! I would also like to call out a big thank you to Tom Carpenter who patiently coached my buddies & I. Hopefully we can live up to the expertise you shared at some point!

R4B

What was the reason for the AM stage being thrown out? The pallet on the left shot up allowing later squads to shoot the plate behind in from the right side of the box instead of moving all the way to the left?

That was the issue. I guess an earlier shooter made a big issue of it and said that it was unfair. Because of that they had to throw out the stage.

Are there any side matches? They are on the map but I was told there aren't any.

There were no side matches. I went to each location and nothing was going on. About the only feedback i would give is I wish I was told this at registration or an email was sent out saying no side matches were taking place and to ignore them on the map. Overall I had a great time and will be back next year for sure.

That was the issue. I guess an earlier shooter made a big issue of it and said that it was unfair. Because of that they had to throw out the stage.

They should've just nailed the no-shoot like me. :mellow:

Squad 10 taking the headless horsemen on stage 1. First shooter is me and the rest are just a bunch of wankers from Kentucky

Good one! Thanks for sharing. Those were the shots on the long range steel...right?

Edited by GWelborn

Pro Stage 8. We all ran full chokes on this one.

https://youtu.be/9f7jI7ru0ig

I was curious what choke you had, those plates looked tiny.

They were 6" which is good sized but the far ones were 20 yards away and the holes in the ground that the stands are in eventually got larger from all the shooting. So when you shoot them that far away the stand would wobble in the hole rather then the plate toppling off. Nobody's fault. Shotgun plates are just a PIA. I guess if you always set them at 7-15 yards that may not happen as bad but then you loose the challenge of a tough 20 yard shot. I really want to get my hands on some of the Nordic Shotgun challenge pipes to shoot for a year and see how they do.

That was the exact reason. Kinda sucks, because that extra step had pretty much zero effect on how that stage went. Actually, there were a couple of easy shotgun doubles on that array if you started all the way to the left.

Those ROs worked way too hard to have it all thrown out, thanks for letting us shoot it anyway guys!!

Edited by dcloudy777

I shot pistol on the left and had to move all the way to the left side of the box for just that one plate of I remember right. I shot that one Friday morning. Makes sense to toss it. The stage has to be the same for everyone.

That was the exact reason. Kinda sucks, because that extra step had pretty much zero effect on how that stage went. Actually, there were a couple of easy shotgun doubles on that array if you started all the way to the left.

Those ROs worked way too hard to have it all thrown out, thanks for letting us shoot it anyway guys!!

+++1 on those ROs. They were hustling all day. And despite an epic delay on Friday, they were professional and cordial while working hard to get shooters through.

Actually, shooting through the pallet pretty much took the no-shoot out of the picture.

The stage still should have stayed. Bunch of complainers. I shot the plate from the far side. Big deal. A couple steps! I still was in the top five on that stage. Everybody worked too hard to have that thrown out. Should've thrown out the complainers. Still was a awesome and fun match. Thanks Gary and all the staff

My memory is short- but this year's match had one of the best varieties of stages in any Pro/Am yet. Some shooter's choice stages, some not, some hosing, some precision, some real challenges. I really enjoyed stages 4, 5, 3, 1, and 6. I killed a no-shoot on stage 3 and left a paper target with only a Charlie for my only penalties of the match.

Thanks to all those who put in the hard work for an event this massive. I know how stressed I am when we're running a 70 shooter local match, I can't imagine having 500 people to tend. Gary, Joe Harris, John Harris, Linda, Ken Nelson, and all the Range Officers made a great team.

Rockcastle is truely like my home, and all the staff are better than family. Thank you guys and ladies for another wonderful event.

Edited by Bryan 45

I figured everyone would be talking about the two stages that over half the competitors timed out or took penalties in order not to time out rather then taking about throwing out the one stage that wasn't fair.

Half the competitors didn't shoot our match lol.

This was my second ProAm. I shot the pro match this year and had a great time. The weather was perfect this year!

I want to thank all of the volunteers and sponsors that help make these matches happen.

Overall I thought the match was great. We ran pretty much on or ahead of schedule.

The stages were each challenging in a different way. Timing out is no fun, but stage strategy is part of the game.

I was disappointed with a few small things. I have a strong opinion on these two small items. Please do not take this as criticism of the whole match and all the hard work that went into it.

1. The barricade/support device ruling. A shooter shouldn't have to take a small hand stop off their rail for fear of being bumped to open if they touch a barricade . Just ban the Silo.

(I removed my handstop to be safe, I don't use it for support, but there were some great awkward positions and weird shit happens on the clock)

2. Start position in Pro #4 ( Sling It) was a joke. Sling around neck, magazine in hand ready to load. This irritated me because it made the sling requirement a technicality instead of testing a shooters sling/rifle manipulation skill on the clock. Specifying hands relaxed at sides rifle slung would have been perfect.

Rant complete. I can't wait to shoot this match again next year!