Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2015 Brownells Rockcastle Pro Am 3 Gun Chamiopship - Official

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gary, This needs to be said:

Thank you so much for the ridiculous amount of work you have put into this. <stands and claps>

Barry

Thanks, I set flashers with black paint, black with white backers, and black with yellow backers. All three were visible.

Anybody know why the rock3gun web site hasn't been updated.

Because after 5 years of having this match no one at Rockcastle has grasped the concept of keeping the shooters informed. If we are lucky they will update the website the week before the match.

Maybe because I'm looking at it on my phone but which ones are pro and which am?

Never mind figured it out.

Edited by steel1212

MUST be the phone. First, if the file name starts with an "A" it is Am & if it starts with a "P" it is Pro. (A2Thunder.pdf is Am Stage 2, & P2thunder.pdf is Pro Stage 2, etc).

Second, as you open each stage, the name of the stage clearly indicates whether it is Am or Pro.

Lastly, you can wait until later today when I get the stages posted online & email a message to everyone registered for the match. There are a lot of competitors who are not following this thread & who never use Facebook.

Because after 5 years of having this match no one at Rockcastle has grasped the concept of keeping the shooters informed. If we are lucky they will update the website the week before the match.

I feel as if Gary Welborn and I have worked hard to make sure people have updated information.

And your comment is misinformed. The Rock3Gun website was set up by a volunteer several years ago. That volunteer has that domain & the passwords to upload or update content. The owners of Rockcastle cannot do that. I cannot do that. To assume that they don't "grasp the concept," or don't want it updated, is wrong.

It would seem, to an uninformed observer such as myself that, given the size of the match, possibly arrangements could have been made to expand or transfer the upload/update capability to a volunteer (aren't we all volunteers in this sport) that might be able to perform the updates in a more timely manner? Unless there is some internal dispute going on (like a certain match from a couple years ago that required an entirely new organization to continue) there isn't any obvious reason for this deficiency. Someone has the ability to update things, and if that person isn't able to actually do it, are they willing to let someone else help? Certainly there are enough computer geeks on here that would be willing to volunteer if needed, and that ignores all of the OTHER sites and groups that are associated with this. I am not intending this to be criticism in any way, I thoroughly respect how much work goes into this, in fact, Linda, thank you too for all of the work you do for us. <stands back up, and claps again>

On a lighter note, for those of us that are complete noobs to this match, could someone explain the (Push Cart/ ATV/ Drive to the stage) policies/etiquette for the AM side? I am trying to decide what I need to or can bring.

Drive to each stage, plenty of parking both in Thunder valley and pistol/archery areas although no food outlets apart from the main lodge so pack drinks , snacks, ect.

Longest wait is normally one squad ahead so your get to see the stages shot.

your shoot with the same squad so try and have a shoot order ready , appoint a squad mom if you can, makes the ro's job a lot easier and things run smoother for you.Try and get your whole squad early to the next stage especially those on morning slots.

Leave all part used boxes of ammo as ro perks at each stage , but only on the Am one's

Don't bring a chair ....... your be to busy resetting !

Edited by gunfighteruk

It would seem, to an uninformed observer such as myself that, given the size of the match, possibly arrangements could have been made to expand or transfer the upload/update capability to a volunteer (aren't we all volunteers in this sport) that might be able to perform the updates in a more timely manner? Unless there is some internal dispute going on (like a certain match from a couple years ago that required an entirely new organization to continue) there isn't any obvious reason for this deficiency. Someone has the ability to update things, and if that person isn't able to actually do it, are they willing to let someone else help? Certainly there are enough computer geeks on here that would be willing to volunteer if needed, and that ignores all of the OTHER sites and groups that are associated with this. I am not intending this to be criticism in any way, I thoroughly respect how much work goes into this, in fact, Linda, thank you too for all of the work you do for us. <stands back up, and claps again>

On a lighter note, for those of us that are complete noobs to this match, could someone explain the (Push Cart/ ATV/ Drive to the stage) policies/etiquette for the AM side? I am trying to decide what I need to or can bring.

With this many shooters paying $200+ to shoot there should be plenty of money to buy anew domains a hire a company to build and update a website. It's not rocket science these days. Heck even a Facebook page works pretty good in conjunction with this forum.

Agree. While we appreciate it Linda, and in this case if you had not done it, it would not have gotten done, it isn't your job to make a website with updated info like every other major match in the country does. Again, thanks. When I see you're involved in a match I'm going to, I relax just a little knowing you're looking out.

Gary,

On the pro stage requiring a sling, it said "over the shoulder". Should I interpret that as muzzle up as in a traditional hunting sling, or is a tactical two point sling that holds the rifle across the chest acceptable? I can rig the rifle either way, and both go "over the shoulder" so to speak. Not trying to be obtuse, but never had to sling my rifle in 3gun before. Just guide me as to what you want and I'll happily come prepared to do it.

Stages look awesome...just hope there is no console in the Pro 3 stage car.

What is the name of the little French 2-seater? :devil: The cars have not yet arrived. I requested large cars. After I check them out some changes may be necessary either to the car or the stage.

Gary,

On the pro stage requiring a sling, it said "over the shoulder". Should I interpret that as muzzle up as in a traditional hunting sling, or is a tactical two point sling that holds the rifle across the chest acceptable? I can rig the rifle either way, and both go "over the shoulder" so to speak. Not trying to be obtuse, but never had to sling my rifle in 3gun before. Just guide me as to what you want and I'll happily come prepared to do it.

Either system is fine as long as the muzzle is up or down. My intend is to allow any safe commonly used double or singe attachment sling system. The fewer rules the better.

Maybe because I'm looking at it on my phone but which ones are pro and which am?

Never mind figured it out.

Automatically puts you in AM... :sight:

I feel as if Gary Welborn and I have worked hard to make sure people have updated information.

And your comment is misinformed. The Rock3Gun website was set up by a volunteer several years ago. That volunteer has that domain & the passwords to upload or update content. The owners of Rockcastle cannot do that. I cannot do that. To assume that they don't "grasp the concept," or don't want it updated, is wrong.

Linda my comments were not to you, Gary or any of the Range Officers and staff that have done an OUTSTANDING JOB for making every Pro/Am a success! You have always done a great job keeping all of us shooters informed and I honestly don't know how this match would run without you. That being said as others have stated there is no reason Rockcastle could not buy a domain name for probably less than $50.00 and put all of the information up for the shooters to see. I do not believe this is the first time that anyone has had complaints about communication for this match. Thanks again for all that Linda, Gary and all of the Range Officers do for us lowly shooters to have fun once a year.

Bah, if it isn't raining it isn't 3 gun... If you wanted 70 degrees and no chance of rain, you could run an indoor 3 gun match (yes, I would go to that).

Otherwise, inclement weather is part of the challenge. I have shot in 105 degree heat with 95% humidity, I have shot in inch an hour downpours, I have shot when it was 4 below zero and when the range got 4 inches of snow immediately prior to the match. I have had sunburns so bad that they needed to be medically debrieded (hence the reason that most of you would never recognize me without the hat), I have even broken my leg, at a match, while under time, shooting a stage. I welcome all challenges, including the worst mother nature can throw at me... I really do. If you cannot shoot under stress, you cannot shoot as well as you think you can.

hardcore.jpg

20130804_142835.jpg

Now I am going to undo all of that tough talk by requesting clarification about "driving up to the stages." Is the range laid out like Generation 3 gun, where you literally park on the stage, or is it like CMMG used to be where you could get close, but not right there, so a cart would be useful. If I can get away without bringing the cart, that would be a bonus, but I would hate to find out that parking on the stages still meant a decent hike in with my gear...LOL.

Greetings to all. The match is coming together nicely! Sure it's hot, but it is Kentucky in August, it will probably end up being.......just like last summer.

I get every post that you all put on here, and I know there are some questions, particularly from those you haven't "Shot the Rock" much, so I will try to answer many of them here.

Linda has done a great job (as usual) (we are at least smart enough to know that) getting all of you signed up to shoot. She is now DEEP in sqaudding, which is a task that none of you want with 587 shooters, give or take. If you are a sponsored shooter, I suggest that you get on Practiscore and sign up for the match if you have not already. Linda will accept gifts for all of her hard work, but many thanks work well too.

Gary has put together some great stages! For the last two week Gary, some of the ROs and the Rockcastle staff have been clearing land, repairing targets, and building stages. And for the next two weeks we will continue to carve the Pro Am out of the bush, hang banners, and prep vendor row. We know you are going to have a great time shooting the match.

I see some posts about information that you all are not getting, and the match website. The critisism is desrved, we get it. We have had some epic fails on getting a new match website active. It hasn't come together as we expected. So, within the next two days you will either see a new website or an updated old website. For those of you who think IT volunteers are coming out of the woodwork to build match websites.....crickets! And yes, they cost more than $50, just FYI. SO here's some information to get you by until the site is updated and acurate: 1. We never have and never will post the stages more than 30 days out from the match, takes a lot of tweaking to get those things right, especially on open terrain. But I think you have them now on here. The rules on the 2014 website are accurate, nothing has changed, so when they are updated they will say 2015 at the top. 3. The schedule on the 2014 website will not change except for the dates 21-23, 2015. The match is still shot Friday and Saturday for Ams, and Friday, Saturday, and Sunday for Pros. Am prize table as early as we can get it on Saturday night, Pro prize table as early as we can make it happen on Sunday. 4. There will probably be very few sponsor changes. Very few have opted out, some new ones have joined the fun. Some current sponsors have dropped their overall donation level, some have increased.

I hope to announce a "totally awesome" new sponsor as of tomorrow. Late entry but so cool it's not even funny. The prize table part of the match comes together over a 12 month period, sometimes longer, and always come down to the wire. They are companies that make a good match great, and without them very few would get to shoot. Make sure you take some time out to thank them for the things they provide to you during the course of the match, email, snail mail, phone call, facebook, all are wonderful. They need your thanks so they know that contributing was worth while. Give a shout out to great companies like Double Star, Adams Arms, Daniel Defense, Brownells, Hornady, Kimber, Century Arms, Rubber City Armory, Tru Spec, Mossberg, Samson MFG., and VooDoo Tactical, just to get you started.

Let's see here. You can drive your car right up to most of the stages. I don't see anybody having to "hike" very far. Range carts are cool, handy, but if you don't have one, don't go buy one. There will be a light concession trailer in Thunder Valley for cold water, sports drinks, snacks, etc. There will be a selection of day snacks available in the restaurant every morning to throw in your pack. You will have a lunch break, and the restaurant will be open every day, all day. Bar closes at midnight. There will be live music every night to accompnay vendor row.

If anyone needs any additional information please feel free to send me a PM. We are excited to have all of you back at the Rock. We love organizing this match for you, and are continually working to make it better. Updates will follow very frequently as match time approaches.

If you haven't already done it, make sure you get online and register for the 2015 Trijicon World Shoot at "The Rock" in October. None of you should miss that one either.

Bar closes at midnight.

This is completely unacceptable! You guys have been hosting this event long enough now to know we expect just a little more from you.

INCONCEIVABLE!!!!

:)

Edited by Bryan 45