Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Must you remove the comp every time you clean your Open Glock?

Cy Soto

We all know that Glocks never need cleaning but, for the handful of people out there who shoot an Open Glock and are OCD enough to want to clean your pistol's barrel, must you remove the compensator and slide racker every time you clean it? I am, of course, referring to those who have frame-mounted optics.

Quite a few guys I know don't even clean the barrel. BUT I like to because that's how I get the chamber the cleanest. But technically speaking to get your glock barrel and chamber the cleanest from the rear, you will have to screw the comp off.

If you use a bore-snake you should be able to clean it from the chamber end.

You don't even have to take the slide off to do this with the bore snake either. Just lock the slide back and clean away. I do this in between detailed cleanings.

I clean mine from the rear in the slide. That comp should be on with red locktite so getting the torch out every time then refitting and letting it set for 24 hours, not good.

I wash the slide with brake cleaner, and the barrel gets copper cleaner.

Edited by CocoBolo

I went to a local store that supplies all kinds of screws and tools. I got the same size set screw as the one on my slide racker and the drill bit and tap to cut the threads. I decided that the thickest part of my comp was on the top side and drilled the hole through. I then put the comp back on the barrel and lined it up. I then drilled through the same hole into the threads of the barrel, just to the bottom of the threads. This makes sure the comp stays put and is in the same place every time. Take the comp back off and thread with the tap. Took me longer to explain than to do it. Works like a champ.

I don't every time but I put a set screw in mine so I don't have to loctite it on and can easily remove it.

How do you do that? Were do get the parts?

Harbor freight sells a tap and die kit that has worked great. I think its on sale for 15 dollars now.

Edited by KustomHolsters

What kind of locktite do you guys use? im using as much as i can get on the threads and it always comes loose while shooting. I used 271 Red.

Loctite 271 usually works well for most applications. Are you degreasing the threads before application and letting it cure for at least a day?

As much as I can tell the usual material used in glock comps is aluminum, w/c has a different thermal coeffecient from barrel steel causing the two materials to expand differently in high temp creating stress on the threads much more than red loctite could handle.