Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Watching front sight too much

rwagner24

Hey guys,

I have been having an issue I'm not sure how to solve. I shoot steel challenge only both limited and open. I have noticed when I miss with my limited gun (fiber front sight) I'm putting the pin on the plate but it's well above the rear sight notch. I started dry fire practicing with 5 small paper plates on the wall. If I do a run at normal speed and stop short of pressing the trigger on the last plate and really look at my sight alignment it's always above the notch. I looked at the ghost ring style sights but not sure I want to go that route. If I make sure the pin is down in the notch it seems like it takes forever to make my shots. Any drill or training ideas?

If the gun is coming back to the POA, the rear site will align with the front site almost automatically. With the proper grip and technique, the gun will return to almost exactly the same place every time. If your front site is getting higher after every shot, then it's not returning to POA after every shot.

I'm not sure it ever was there from the first shot after the draw.

Sounds like the way you grip it makes it point high (is it a Glock?). If all else fails find a pistol with a grip that points naturally for you.

Yep they do and I tried all three until the one that felt the best.

Unfortunately finding one that "felt the best" is somewhat like buying a tennis shoe for hiking in the Himalaya's...While having a comfortable grip that fits your hand is very good, it might not be the profile that you can shoot the best. I suggest trying each of the back straps again, each with 100 rounds...see if any of them has the gun return to POA for you...You might be suprised at the results...

Which back strap do you have installed? I found the #1 back strap was the best shooting for me even though I liked the feel of the #3. I tended to have the problem you are describing until I put the #1 in.

Edited by ToddKS

If I make sure the pin is in the notch it takes forever to make my shots. Any drill or training ideas?

Before you fire the shot, the pin has to be in the notch, for accuracy.

It's just part of the process to accurate shooting.

You wouldn't pull the trigger if the pin is not on the target - and it takes

a little longer to put the pin on the target - but you recognize that you

have to have the pin on the target - so you take the time to do it.

Same thing with the pin being in the notch - has to be there - take

the time and see how fast you are.

Better to hit with one shot that fire 2+ shots at the same target. :cheers:

well, if you're not aware of your sight alignment, I guess I would recommend practicing more on being aware of your sight alignment and less on just trying to go fast. I had the same problem last year.

At first, it will seem like it takes forever to verify your sight alignment, but if you focus on it, it should become more natural and subconscious.

Ok I will. It just seems like I'm not paying attention to the back sight while shooting fast.

Focus = shooting fast.

Change focus to see a proper sight picture, not matter what.

That is huge, especially the "no matter what." So huge, it's all there is. :)

There may be some people who can run Steel Challenge just watching their front sight. But, the rest of us 'mere mortals' need to see a clear, focused sight picture for most stages.

Smoke & Hope... you can get by with the front sight... until you reach the stop plate. Then, front & rear alignment is nice!

Guns with interchangeable back straps often 'feel best' with the bigger backstrap. The scores are often best with the smallest backstrap.

Well guys I think you're on to somthing with the back strap reccomendation. With it in when I draw on the first plate I no longer have to make any adjustments like before. Time will tell but it seems more comfortable right now. Thanks!!!!!

You're welcome!

I focus on front sight but do not lose sight of the rear sight. I work on my draw and presentation to give me time to acquire the sight as quick as possible. I hear what your are saying though. Shooting plates beyonf 10 yards can start to be problematic as your sight picture can completely cover an 8" plate at distance. As I train more, I find palces where I can speed up so that the times I need to slow down a little, it doesn't hurt me too much. I try and be real quick to get hand on gun and slow down just a bit to establish a good weak hand grip-, then speed up a little bit during presentation, take up the trigger so that when I am fully extended, I am ready to break the shoot. Agree with comments about, "slow IS fast" as priority 1 is to hit target (either 0 or 1) and priority 2 is to do so as fast as possible. without violating priority 1. :-)

Edited by raa29642