Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Vortex introducing new 3-gun scope?

ambluemax

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this an actual chronographed velocity? Because I seriously doubt you are getting 3200 fps with PMC out of an AR. My guess, the real world numbers with a 16-18" barreled AR are much closer to 2900 fps. Ballistics software is only as good as the data you feed it. Crap going in.......crap coming out. If you ask around, I'm sure someone at your local club has a chrono and would let you use it after a match to get actual velocities.

Is this an actual chronographed velocity? Because I seriously doubt you are getting 3200 fps with PMC out of an AR. My guess, the real world numbers with a 16-18" barreled AR are much closer to 2900 fps. Ballistics software is only as good as the data you feed it. Crap going in.......crap coming out. If you ask around, I'm sure someone at your local club has a chrono and would let you use it after a match to get actual velocities.

I was thinking that was kinda hot myself. I used to have chronology Data on my 18" stag barrel for PMC but can't find it.

Using Strelock pro with a 200yd zero at the crosshair, hash marks are 311, 425, 530, 638

What load/velocity?
I should have quoted and made it more obvious. I plugged in his velocity for the pmc

I agree with the consensus though, you probably aren't getting 3200fps from pmc 223 and if you are you probably have a 20" or longer barrel.

Edited by jhr1986

How do you guys get your ammo to chrono out to even numbers? I bet it is a bitch to find load that averages right on at 2800 or 3200. Mine always end up at numbers like 3162 or 2996. Does your chrono just round to the nearest 100 fps?

How do you guys get your ammo to chrono out to even numbers? I bet it is a bitch to find load that averages right on at 2800 or 3200. Mine always end up at numbers like 3162 or 2996. Does your chrono just round to the nearest 100 fps?

Basically this. I'll shoot 10 rounds over the chrono, average them out and round to the nearest 100

So, in your example I would round to 3200 and 3000 respectively

Edited by IntenseImage

Basically this. I'll shoot 10 rounds over the chrono, average them out and round to the nearest 100

So, in your example I would round to 3200 and 3000 respectively

Why would you do that if you have accurate numbers?

Because if I take another 10 shot average the number may be higher or lower ... Rounding off by less than 100 fps makes a minimal difference in the long run and its easier to say this ammo does 2800 from a 16" and 2900 from an 18" barrel than quoting random variable numbers. Probably the same reason manufacturers don't give figures like 3215 fps and just say 3200

I'm glad some of these are making their way out. I had ordered mine several months back now and opticsplanet last stated they are expecting them in at the end of August. Hope they show up sooner, but not too hopeful.

My goof, 2770.

PMC 223 55 gr FMJBT. If someone could run calcs.

Thanks

Had to make some assumptions, but with Strelok I got :

Distance - Vertical Correction (MOA)

100 yds - 0.00

200 - 1.57

300 - 4.65

400 - 8.79

500 - 14.16

600 - 21.13

Hash Marks - zero at 100 yd or 200 yd

1st - 100 yds - 200 yds

2nd - 230 - 281

3rd - 325 - 364

4th - 414 - 446

5th - 507 - 532

Edited by Flatland Shooter

Is there anyway or any place where I can buy one of these right now?

Backorder available from Midway USA

Date expected in stock: 08/21/2015
SWFA looks like you can add to cart, might call first.
Edited by fishsticks

FYI. Optics Planet sells more Vortex, aimpoint, Eotech etc then anyone. If you play the odds they will get them before anyone. Heck if you're just dying to get one back order 2-3 from several spots. If you end up with 3 scopes the same week you could go all CTD and mark them up double and move them in the classifieds.