Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How much has weight loss improved your performance

Zoomy

Amen to that! It was one of those "don't know what you have till you lose it" type of things for me. Luckily the new jobs wages aren't so good that I can't justify going back to construction. Its fixin to be single digit high temps all next week and windy and I'll be roofing a barn my guys built in my absence, I'm super pumped. Seriously.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I take three walks a day with the dog in the woods but I know I'll have to do something more strenuous to get the results I want. I work from home so I have some flexibility.

If "the results [you] want" is just weight loss, you don't necessarily have to do anything more strenuous. Keep on walking and the weight loss can all come from dietary changes.

I need to get the weight off to help my knees out. With less pain I want to start some cardio. I am doing some push ups and leg lifts to tone up. My wife has horses so I get some upper body work stacking hay in the barn but I should have a regular weight training program if I'm serious about getting in shape.

• 2 weeks later...

Weight loss comes mostly from what you eat.

Ditch the carbs - ALL grains and grain based products like pasta and cereal and bread, potatoes, beans, sugars.

Eat green veggies, eggs, meat, fish fowl.

Don't worry about low fat.

You will lose a lot of fat and be healthier.

Weight loss comes mostly from what you eat.

Ditch the carbs - ALL grains and grain based products like pasta and cereal and bread, potatoes, beans, sugars.

Eat green veggies, eggs, meat, fish fowl.

Don't worry about low fat.

You will lose a lot of fat and be healthier.

This is working for me........

I'm 63 and diabetic. Last year I lost 35 pounds, started lifting weights, rode my bicycle religiously, and eat very few carbs. I was able to stop taking one of my oral meds and no longer require insulin. The single biggest difference that I noticed was at the end of a match I still had energy. It helps both physically and mentally

Skip

Edited by BadShot

I've noticed that when I am eating good and exercising I feel a lot better at matches.

I do the "Insanity" workout videos and feel like it helps A LOT with speed on field courses, it also seems to help getting into and out of shooting positions quickly. I'm young(26) and fairly new to shooting USPSA but towards the end of last year I got back into exercising and my last couple of matches I just felt faster and more confident.

Diabetic also here. I've lost almost 100 lbs since November 2013. Biggest noticeable difference is stamina. Now to work on my shooting skills and speed. Dry fire and practice is my next area. Oh yeah and another 30 lbs.

Congrats on the loss. What impact, if any, has the weight loss had on your diabetic meds? I'm type 2 and know losing weight will help.

I'm 69 and decided I needed to drop some weight to extend my shooting life. I had 2 partial knee replacements in '13 and decided to get my body moving again. I've gone from 205 to 175 and there is a world of difference. More stamina, more mental energy to do a good stage plan, walk thru and mental walk thru. More energy for a 3 days a week workout program. Results have improved a little bit at a time.

The other day, I put a 25 lb weight in my back pack and took a short hike in the desert behind my house. I came back very tired and wondering how I could I get around before.......the answer was very slowly. Now, I get with it going thru a stage and try to keep moving. Times are improving.

I'll never give the younger guys much competition but have set a goal to be at or near the top of the other "Super Seniors".

I need to lobby USPSA to develop a new category after Super Senior........maybe Codger

Edited by t0066jh

I'm 69 and decided I needed to drop some weight to extend my shooting life. I had 2 partial knee replacements in '13 and decided to get my body moving again. I've gone from 205 to 175 and there is a world of difference. More stamina, more mental energy to do a good stage plan, walk thru and mental walk thru. More energy for a 3 days a week workout program. Results have improved a little bit at a time.

The other day, I put a 25 lb weight in my back pack and took a short hike in the desert behind my house. I came back very tired and wondering how I could I get around before.......the answer was very slowly. Now, I get with it going thru a stage and try to keep moving. Times are improving.

I'll never give the younger guys much competition but have set a goal to be at or near the top of the other "Super Seniors".

I need to lobby USPSA to develop a new category after Super Senior........maybe Codger

I don't qualify as one of the youngsters anymore either. I have twice the weight to lose and am looking forward to the improvements. Keep it going.

there is no doubt overweight shooters can still perform at or very near the top of the game. angus hobdel is a little on the cuddly side and still kicks ass, todd jarrett is a little husky (although he seems to have slimmed down recently) and also still competes at the top level and there's a few others too.

having said that, there's no doubt a leaner, fitter figure helps. if nothing else having a high level of cardio fitness helps steady your shooting at the end of those longer stages when the heart is pumping hard and you're gasping for breath. and the freedom of movement you gain from less weight has got to help. plus you feel more confident which is also a good thing. .

I'm sure anyone who has been overweight and then lost some pounds would tell you it's improved their performance in all things with IPSC included in that list. :)

• 3 months later...

Im down 60lbs from March of last year. Life, family and even shooting all doing great now.

I woke up March 9, 2014 and looked in the mirror. I was disgusted with myself and the transformation began. By September, I'd lost just over 70lbs but instead of feeling great, I was feeling as lethargic and moody as ever. When I began everything, I'd asked my Dr. to check my testosterone levels and she said I was probably fine and at my age (almost 42 now) and I most likely don't have any issues. Well, fast forward several months and this time I insisted on the testosterone bloodwork. I was right, she was wrong. My blood testosterone was just over 200n/dl or for those unfamiliar, that's well below the low end. The normal scale can differ slightly but it usually between 250-1100n/dl. The normal low end would represent a very senior man while the high end would be a teenager. My Dr. was astounded that I'd list the weight I did while having such low "T".

I went on "the Program" that day and haven't looked back. Of course, TRT isn't for everyone but it's been great for me. It takes a couple of months to get dialed in but once you do, your a very happy man?. Long story short is to make sure you listen (especially as you get older) to your body and always have your COMPLETE bloodwork done at least yearly. In case your wondering TRT won't make you a body builder but it does have a ton of other benefits including increased muscle mass, lower body fat, increased mental clarity and one side effect that need not be mentioned here.

Sounds like a commercial I know but I'm enjoying it...and so is the wife, lol.

Im down 60lbs from March of last year. Life, family and even shooting all doing great now.

I woke up March 9, 2014 and looked in the mirror. I was disgusted with myself and the transformation began. By September, I'd lost just over 70lbs but instead of feeling great, I was feeling as lethargic and moody as ever. When I began everything, I'd asked my Dr. to check my testosterone levels and she said I was probably fine and at my age (almost 42 now) and I most likely don't have any issues. Well, fast forward several months and this time I insisted on the testosterone bloodwork. I was right, she was wrong. My blood testosterone was just over 200n/dl or for those unfamiliar, that's well below the low end. The normal scale can differ slightly but it usually between 250-1100n/dl. The normal low end would represent a very senior man while the high end would be a teenager. My Dr. was astounded that I'd list the weight I did while having such low "T".

I went on "the Program" that day and haven't looked back. Of course, TRT isn't for everyone but it's been great for me. It takes a couple of months to get dialed in but once you do, your a very happy man. Long story short is to make sure you listen (especially as you get older) to your body and always have your COMPLETE bloodwork done at least yearly. In case your wondering TRT won't make you a body builder but it does have a ton of other benefits including increased muscle mass, lower body fat, increased mental clarity and one side effect that need not be mentioned here.

I tried it, but all it did was make me retain water and elevate my red blood cell count. Ditched the therapy after 6 months and actually feel better.

I went on "the Program" that day and haven't looked back. Of course, TRT isn't for everyone but it's been great for me. It takes a couple of months to get dialed in but once you do, your a very happy man. Long story short is to make sure you listen (especially as you get older) to your body and always have your COMPLETE bloodwork done at least yearly. In case your wondering TRT won't make you a body builder but it does have a ton of other benefits including increased muscle mass, lower body fat, increased mental clarity and one side effect that need not be mentioned here.

I tried it, but all it did was make me retain water and elevate my red blood cell count. Ditched the therapy after 6 months and actually feel better.

Having your red blood cell count climb above 50 shows you may have been at too high of dosage to begin with. It does take time to get dialed in and it definately isn't for everybody though. I had a little water retention in the beginning but that went away when I increased my water intake to 3/4 gallon per day. It's very important to keep hydrated no matter what. That was/is also a big part of my weight loss.

So has anyone had a similar weight loss and have a performance gain as a result? Please share your stories as I could use some motivation.

I hope to be able to answer succinctly by March 30th. :)

As of today I am down 30 pounds from what I weighed in November. I feel a little better, but so far my scores have gotten worse this year. :( I am going to keep at it, shooting for another 25 by August.

I have lost over 40 in the last 18 months, 20 since Christmas. I now also exercise regularly as well. Big difference for me is that I no longer take blood pressure and cholesterol pills. My shooting improved as well.

So has anyone had a similar weight loss and have a performance gain as a result? Please share your stories as I could use some motivation.

As of today I am down 30 pounds from what I weighed in November. I feel a little better, but so far my scores have gotten worse this year. :( I am going to keep at it, shooting for another 25 by August.

Sorry to hear your scores took a down turn. I can't see how weight loss can cause this. Maybe something else going on?

I have only lost ten pounds and my scores have not changed. We will see.

One thing that can suck is trying to maintain concentration and physical aggression while at a caloric deficit. If you've been running a bunch, you'll still probably kick some butts at the mega stage match.

I'm 57, with two back surgeries in my 20's and 30's. I spent most of my life on a couch in front of a TV - until I discovered IPSC 4 years ago. Took me almost this long to figure out that being out of shape is not the way to go, even if (when) I've mastered the fundamentals. Compared to younger folk, I'm much slower in everything I do in a field course.

I've lost 15Lb (from 185 to 170, I'm 5'10") since New Year's. Moving around became a lot easier, and gave me a fighting chance. I'm still slower than young guys, just by a little less.

This came at a price though: I'm often too aggressive, and have a mike - or two - or three in a match, so my actual placement is worse than last year. Too bad there isn't a weight loss program for ageing eyes...