Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How much has weight loss improved your performance

Zoomy

This question may be tricky if you are a newer shooter because the weight loss over several months usually parallels improvements from starting USPSA competition. My situation is that after shooting two and half years and making slower improvements I am looking at a major weight loss to give my performance a boost. I'm talking 60 pounds. I am 5'10", 235 pounds and 54 yo and I would like to get down to 170-175 pounds. I know that at my height it sounds like I should go lower but at my best in my early twenties I was 168 pounds and running, biking and weight training 6 days a week.

So has anyone had a similar weight loss and have a performance gain as a result? Please share your stories as I could use some motivation.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes. Do it. I recently dropped over 30 lbs and when I went to go prone for practicing Bianchi cup stages I had an extra two seconds to shoot the strings. It was amazing. The weight loss will help all aspects of your shooting, mainly your endurance to make it through a long day match and perform at your best instead of struggling and crashing for your last couple stages.

Get the weight off, it will make all parts of your life better.....

DougC

So has anyone had a similar weight loss and have a performance gain as a result? Please share your stories as I could use some motivation.

I hope to be able to answer succinctly by March 30th. :)

Nice to here success stories with positive reinforcement. My knees are starting to go with arthritis and torn meniscus. It would be nice to be able to squat instead of having to let myself down on my knees to shoot when required.

Hope to be down 24 pounds by the Desert Classic.

I'm not all that large but I lost 10lbs of extra weight and can tell a difference, maybe it's mental. Maybe that's good. A benefit of aerobic activity beyond weight loss is increased bloodflow/oxygen to the brain which could potentially lead to improved cognitive activity.

I'm not all that large but I lost 10lbs of extra weight and can tell a difference, maybe it's mental. Maybe that's good. A benefit of aerobic activity beyond weight loss is increased bloodflow/oxygen to the brain which could potentially lead to improved cognitive activity.

A boost in energy and mental acuity would be a nice bonus. Right now all it takes is 3-4 hours of light to medium yard work and I am in need of a nap. I take three walks a day with the dog in the woods but I know I'll have to do something more strenuous to get the results I want. I work from home so I have some flexibility.

About to hit 47. Lost 30. Working on another 10. Feel younger and faster. Started running now my resting heart rate is around 60bpm. Definitely helped my times. Quit all caffeine and sodas. That was tough but it realy evened me out. When i get run down at a match i break out the snacks and it picks me up. Added bonus is i no longer see the fat guy in my gear on range videos.

Edited by Sergeant

I

About to hit 47. Lost 30. Working on another 10. Feel younger and faster. Started running now my resting heart rate is around 60bpm. Definitely helped my times. Quit all caffeine and sodas. That was tough but it realy evened me out. When i get run down at a match i break out the snacks and it picks me up. Added bonus is i no longer see the fat guy in my gear on range videos.

Congrats on the weight loss. Hopefully I can report similar improvements as the weight comes off. I have the area 2 Desert Classic and the Superstition Mountain Mystery 3 Gun matches at Rio Salado in March. Hope to have 20 pounds off by then.

This question may be tricky if you are a newer shooter because the weight loss over several months usually parallels improvements from starting USPSA competition. My situation is that after shooting two and half years and making slower improvements I am looking at a major weight loss to give my performance a boost. I'm talking 60 pounds. I am 5'10", 235 pounds and 54 yo and I would like to get down to 170-175 pounds. I know that at my height it sounds like I should go lower but at my best in my early twenties I was 168 pounds and running, biking and weight training 6 days a week.

Be careful, there is another thread on here where people continue to argue that your fitness level doesn't help your shooting!! I completely disagree! Good luck with your weight loss. You're going to be a skinny fella at 5"10" 168 :cheers:

I notice a big difference in my ability to move through stages. I've lost about 40-50 pounds in the past 3 years (added a lot of muscle and strength as well so I'm not sure how much actual fat loss has occurred). One of the biggest takeaways in my endurance. Whether it be a long single day match or a 3day 3-gun match, I am significantly less tired by the end. I used to look for places to sit down because my knees hurt or my back hurt. I was worn out and my performance near the end usually suffered. Not an issue anymore.

I've obviously developed my shooting skills some over the past couple of years but I have actually practiced very little. I don't dryfire as much as anymore (maybe once a week average maybe). During the season I get to the range once every other week for a mini pistol practice session (100-150 rounds usually). With the little practice I've done, I made Master a couple months ago. Did being more physically fit get me to Master? I don't know. But its sure didn't hurt!!

lost over 55lbs.... kept it off past year and a half.

A few things - you'll need new gear. Sorry to tell you, but drop 40-50 pounds and you will need new belts, pants, shirts... possibly even shoes.

Going prone, knees, ankles, balance, speed - all improved. Shooting? meh. Still have to hit the damned target. :) Blood pressure drop and increased flexibility. Injury avoidance.

Some other things... depending on your lifestyle change - you may actually be able to 'think faster' - or have better mental clarity. Your eyesight may improve. You'll have more money to spend on ammo since you aren't eating McDonalds.

If you combine it with a good fitness program (weights, cardio) then it gets better - not just faster because of your 'less weight' but faster because you are... well.... faster :) Better heart rate recovery. Better endurance. Some hormonal changes. All good stuff.

I've seen an improvement in my 3Gun as a result. I've seen an improvement in my F Class as a result (going prone for an hour and a half, pulling targets.... no problem!)

I was in terrible shape in my 20s. I still need to drop 25lbs. I'd like to be at 180lbs. I'm 6', 35. I don't care about getting new clothes, I like it. My balance is weird, I do have to think faster on my feet, I did have "phantom fat", which was really weird. For a while, I had the caloric intake of a small female, and it drove me nuts. I have not spent enough time in matches, I do feel as though I was faster when I was a fatty. But years off will make you rusty.

60 lbs. in the last 7 months, I'm on a plateau know, but its been worth it.

1. Feel better in general

2. better movement in the stages

3. faster transitions and more accuracy at the ends of stages (no more huffing and puffing)

4. Not worn out at the end of the match. (last few stages same quality as the first few)

Work at doing it, its worth it.

More than I can explain its helped me enjoy shooting again!

60 lbs. in the last 7 months, I'm on a plateau know, but its been worth it.

1. Feel better in general

2. better movement in the stages

3. faster transitions and more accuracy at the ends of stages (no more huffing and puffing)

4. Not worn out at the end of the match. (last few stages same quality as the first few)

Work at doing it, its worth it.

More than I can explain its helped me enjoy shooting again!

That is fantastic. A little over 2 pounds per week is a nice pace. Did you include a exercise routine during yor diet?

• 3 weeks later...

I've took off 40 lbs since July. I was 212 and got down to 170. I'm teetering around 176 because of the holidays but am getting back onto the wagon and gonna get about down to 165. Was shooting 45% on classifiers last year and shot a 71% last month. I've been training pretty hard but I firmly believe the improvement is due to weight loss as well as the training.

I take three walks a day with the dog in the woods but I know I'll have to do something more strenuous to get the results I want. I work from home so I have some flexibility.

If "the results [you] want" is just weight loss, you don't necessarily have to do anything more strenuous. Keep on walking and the weight loss can all come from dietary changes.

I know people argue about this a lot, and is it weight loss or more practice that improves USPSA game- I think both help, with practice being more important.

I went the other way- I went from working construction to a stressful desk job working long hours and have gained 25 lbs in the last year. I can tell you the added load, the reduced efficiency in movement, and less upper body strength has definitely impacted my performance. I have been able to mitigate that by becoming more efficient, shooting on the move more, etc... but I know myself, and if I were in the shape I was when I started this I would be much, much better off- and that is only from a 32" to a 34" waist.

I am fortunate to be 27, and have a fast metabolism- and I have learned to not excuse myself to eat whatever I want when I am stressed. That, coupled with some moderate training, is working extremely well. I will be back to 180 by Area 2.

People argue all the time, that there are heavy and out of shape shooters that do well- that isn't really the point. Watch Jorge Ballesteros or Lesgar, or Chris Tilley or Nils or Vogel and it becomes pretty clear- the sport is points per second, and most stages have at least some point where you do not have targets available to shoot. Getting from trigger to trigger pull faster will help. Training for fitness and for shooting are not mutually exclusive.

I know people argue about this a lot, and is it weight loss or more practice that improves USPSA game- I think both help, with practice being more important.

I went the other way- I went from working construction to a stressful desk job working long hours and have gained 25 lbs in the last year. I can tell you the added load, the reduced efficiency in movement, and less upper body strength has definitely impacted my performance. I have been able to mitigate that by becoming more efficient, shooting on the move more, etc... but I know myself, and if I were in the shape I was when I started this I would be much, much better off- and that is only from a 32" to a 34" waist.

I am fortunate to be 27, and have a fast metabolism- and I have learned to not excuse myself to eat whatever I want when I am stressed. That, coupled with some moderate training, is working extremely well. I will be back to 180 by Area 2.

People argue all the time, that there are heavy and out of shape shooters that do well- that isn't really the point. Watch Jorge Ballesteros or Lesgar, or Chris Tilley or Nils or Vogel and it becomes pretty clear- the sport is points per second, and most stages have at least some point where you do not have targets available to shoot. Getting from trigger to trigger pull faster will help. Training for fitness and for shooting are not mutually exclusive.

I wish I would have been shooting USPSA at 27!! I didn't start till I was almost 40......... :angry2::angry2:

Thanks for reinforcing my latest big life decision Mike! Got out of construction 4 months ago, got into being a heavy machine operator with a desk as the next rung on the ladder. I can't stand the lack of a physical challenge everyday so I'm going back to my second family (my awesome construction crew). Everyday hurts but it keeps me in shape and I'm happier covered in my own blood than I am covered in paperwork.

I wish I would have been shooting USPSA at 27!! I didn't start till I was almost 40......... :angry2::angry2:

And to think sometimes I am jealous of juniors!

Thanks for reinforcing my latest big life decision Mike! Got out of construction 4 months ago, got into being a heavy machine operator with a desk as the next rung on the ladder. I can't stand the lack of a physical challenge everyday so I'm going back to my second family (my awesome construction crew). Everyday hurts but it keeps me in shape and I'm happier covered in my own blood than I am covered in paperwork.

Good for you! I am glad. There is something incredibly satisfying about physical challenges and accomplishing things with your hands. In my case I can't turn down the paycheck... it lets me buy too much gun stuff!

Ran 2.5 miles today. It is kind of funny, my grip strength has dropped off to the feeble range in just 1 year... I struggled picking up the number 1 Captain of Crush again. Now I can rep the 1.5 and am closing in on the 2. That, and lots of sledge hammer training, although it sure was nice to get paid to hit stuff with a hammer...

I didn't appreciate how important it is to be active. My core and arms are so weak relative to when I started my new job. Now that I am training again I am noticing rapid improvements in the quality of my life- mood, shape, strength- and I am committed to getting back into shape, and staying that way! Not just for USPSA, but for life.