Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Idea for loading multiple OAL's on a progressive press

EngineerEli

Hey all,

So I have been toying with the idea of picking up a production gun in 40. cal. I already load long major .40 for my SVI for Limited. If I get this new production gun I will likely want to try to keep the powder throw the same then lighten the bullet until I get the load to about 130 PF. Problem is I will have to load shorter, somewhere around 1.14" for the new gun/mags.

So what if I were to use two seating dies in my press? Right after the powder drop and flaring die, you put your short OAL adjusted seating die, then after that, you put your long OAL adjusted seating die, then your taper crimp after that. If you wanted a short loaded bullet you just set the bullet on below the short adjusted seating die, then when it goes under the long one it does nothing, and if you want a long loaded bullet you just let the case run up and down the short seating die, with powder but no bullet then place the bullet on the case under the long adjusted seating die. Would this work?

The only thing I would be slightly worried about is that the first seating die may remove some of the belling which could make seating the bullet for the longer adjusted seating die harder, may shave some lead... but if that was the case than what would the point of the taper crimp die be???

I think it could work, and all I would have to do to try it is get another .40 seating die. This experiment may have to be in my future!

I would love to hear if anyone else has any experience running a progressive press like this, or has an opinion on whether or not they think this should work.

-Eli

Edited by EngineerEli

you could also just measure the amount of seating plug insert above the die body using the depth feature of a dial caliper I do that with my .38Spl when I switch from my usual SWC to flush seat my wadcutters

or just make a spacer to put under the seating die before you load, do that with my .38 / .357 Mags I guess I could do that with my 10mm/.40 setup too but I just have 2 sets of dies

I have 3 sets of 30-06 dies setup 1 for my M-1 one for my 1903 match rifle and the 3rd. for the other 3 rifles

if I had a 550 or a 650 instead of a 450 I would just setup different die blocks and be done with it.

guess you won't know until you run off 50 or so, let us know how it works

one of the joys of this is 3 people will come up with about 9 ways to do it..

John

Edited by Amerflyer48

how about getting a micrometer seater and be done with it?

Are those really that quick and repeatable for adjusting OAL? Say adjusting it at least once monthly?

You'll eventually get a bullet seater so you're gonna need a spot to put it in.

Haha, I don't even have a case feeder yet! I just use 3' lengths of PVC that I load up before I do a 200 rd run. So I think the bullet seater may be a ways farther down the line... I do admit, I spend my money in strange ways. I skimp on the case feeder but shoot an SVI, (used though) go figure. There is a chance I need to get my priorities straightened out, but for now I'm just really curious if this work work. Temporarily at least...

I use a Hornady press, the lock and load thing is good for this. Just buy to seat dies and slap in whichever one you want. You could do the same with lock rings on other presses, I guess.

But why are you adjusting this with OAL, not powder? You're going to get way more pressure this way than if you just bought a micrometer for your powder measure (or another powder measure, they're cheap).

Hey all,

I will likely want to try to keep the powder throw the same then lighten the bullet until I get the load to about 130 PF.

Am I wrong in thinking you're saying you don't want to change the powder measure/powder charge between major and minor?

LnL AP solves this 'problem' easily, but so does a micrometer seating die, or in the worst case, two seating dies with a good lock ring (Hornady or Forster)...but the above is still concerning me (don't change powder measure/charge)

Edited by rtp

I don't even have a case feeder yet! I just use 3' lengths of PVC that I load up before I do a 200 rd run.

Whoa, can we expand on this for a second? You load up bullets into a piece of PVC pipe? How does this work.

Sorry if this is something considered common knowledge, but its new to me.

Thanks.

Bill

how about getting a micrometer seater and be done with it?

Are those really that quick and repeatable for adjusting OAL? Say adjusting it at least once monthly?

yes, very accurate and very repeatable. I write the micrometer setting on the bullet box so I know what to adjust it too. You can set it to say 1.185 and adjust it so it says that on the dial but if you switch bullet profiles and try and adjust the OAL the numbers don't match exactly. With the same profile bullet the numbers are very close.

Redding Comp Seater.

Indeed.

I have a Redding Comp Die on every tool head I use to load.

When I switch bullet types & I need to change the seating +/- .023 or whatever, just turn the micrometer accordingly & you're set.

Combine the Redding Comp seating die with a Unique Tec micrometer insert for the powder measure and your set! I use both on all of my presses since I have several .223 loads using different bullet weights & powders as well as major and minor pf .40 loads with different bullets. Adjustments are very quick and accurate.

I use a Redding comp seater in my Hornady lnl for 7 different 9x19 loads (115 major with 2 different JHPs, 124 major with 2 different bullets, 124,135, and 160 bayou minor as well as 2 different 38 short colt loads. I have the micrometer settings for each load written on a dry erase board along with the powder measure micrometer settings. When I switch loads all I have to do is dial the die and powder measure into those settings and it is right on the money every time

buy the time you buy another seating die your already well on your way to buying a Redding Comp Seater . at least with the redding if you change bullet profile you can always revert back to your old setting pretty much spot on if you record your setting..

Eli,

curious minds want to know more about the PVC setup. It acts like a primer tube but for brass, is that the idea? How do u attach it to the press for proper feeding? Thanks

EngineerJojo

I don't see why you couldn't do it on the case side, I did it on the bullet side.

mwtukh.jpg

Eli,

curious minds want to know more about the PVC setup. It acts like a primer tube but for brass, is that the idea? How do u attach it to the press for proper feeding? Thanks

EngineerJojo

I don't see why you couldn't do it on the case side, I did it on the bullet side.

mwtukh.jpg

1. Could you share the manufacture and part number for the 9mm die?

2. In Station #3? Can you still visually check to see if there is powder in the case?

3. What size diameter tube? What length tube?

4. Does you system place the bullet reliably on the case each time?

5. How long does it take to load up the tube?

Nice work!!!!!!

Edited by mjohn

Eli,

EngineerJojo

mwtukh.jpg

1. Could you share the manufacture and part number for the 9mm die? RCBS Bullet feeding die in 9mm <$25

2. In Station #3? Can you still visually check to see if there is powder in the case? Yes if you go slow.

3. What size diameter tube? What length tube? I will have dig that out and where I bought them from.

4. Does you system place the bullet reliably on the case each time? Yes - but you need a reasonable Bell on the cartridge.

5. How long does it take to load up the tube? I never timed it. I have 4 of them that I preload.

Nice work!!!!!!

There was a large thread about this mod over at ARF.COM in the Re-loading section. It documented tube dia, where to buy for multiple calibers. The guy that came up with the idea had it on Lee progressive press.

If you have a logon there, you could probably find it quicker than me (my search terms usually results in 0 records found).

• 2 weeks later...