Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.40 Brass Question

zhunter

Well, being I JUST found out about this great low priced brass, yesterday I picked up the new MagTech brass that I have been reloading.

I am gonna get my money's worth out of that NEW Brass that I purchased!!!!!!

I would NEVER leave the range with my brass laying around, if I don't pick it up, I sweep it out of the way!

That is just commom courtesy!

This thread was not about leaving a mess, but about picking up inexpensive brass!

I pick mine up. But I don't get to anal about the whole thing. Outdoors I like to leave the range in better condition than I found it.

BTW- You should check out BrassMan Brass .40 is only $10/1000  I bought 5,000 mixed and was very happy with what I got. I also buy the $20/1000 same headstamp stuff just for major matches. That stuff is fantastic. All federal and all nickel.

Good shootin'

:o

i have to move to USA, here in Brazil, we had only one factory of brass and primers.

1,000 new Brass cost U$ 350.00.(.40S&W) :angry:

1,000 once fired brass U$ 100.00 :angry:

1,000 primers U$ 57.00 :angry:

and my pay check at the end of the Month is U$ 570.00 (i´m a Policeman) :(

in my second job more U$ 830.00 :(

i always pick up my brasses, and look out for others ;)

But the pleasure of shoot a stage is priceless B)

bye

Damn, living here in the states I think we all take for granite how cheap bass is. I would look at the brass different if it was .10/piece and I left 4 bucks worth on a stage. At the indoor range that we practice at I usually go in with 300 and leave with more than I came with. Hell, if I lived in Brazil, I'm not sure if I could afford to shoot. :(

i pick it up except at matches...seems im more concerned with shooting, than picking up brass.

i leave it for others, and they dont seem to mind

it may cost me 120 rounds a weekend to shoot matches...at 120 lost pieces of brass, it isnt much.

BTW i load my match brass in the midway special 1000 pack once fired nickle. its 100 percent speer.

• 3 weeks later...

Ever since the Clintons were elected and we had the big primer scare, I scavage everything I can. This includes .40 range pick up brass and 5.56 GI.

I throw the questionable stuff in 5 gallon plastic buckets to sort through if necessary, at some later date.

My only exception is at IDPA matches where we shoot in tall grass and there are are a bunch of .40 Glocks present. It takes too long to locate it and i wind up with a bunch of bulged cases anyway.

Good experience w/ brassmanbrass.com though shipping to Area 8 is a killer. Practice .40? unless its loaded w/ lead, I pick it up but as for a match, you can't stop the match to pick it up - at least around here.

Had a single case blow-out w/ a worn piece of 9x19 (minor load too); the way I re-use my practice brass over and over, I believe there is a worn out piece of .40 out there w/ my name on it. Good thing I carry spare parts for the 1911 + a backup gun.

Regards,

D.C. Johnson

Yep,

john at brassmanbrass is a good guy. Always has given me a call to let me know the brass has shipped. I buy .40 and .45. 3K of 40 and 2K of .45 cost me about 130$ shipped last order.

I always pick up my brass, and others. unless i don't like them. B)

• 5 weeks later...

I just started reloading, but I'm not planning on picking up my brass. For 2 cents per, I've got better things to do with my time. Although in our indoor practice matches, we pick up all brass between shooters so that no one slips. I'll reuse it in that instance.

IMHO picking up brass is just good manners. If everyone just left their brass laying there, pistol berms would be just a big trash pile.

It is one of my pet peaves to go the range and find the berm I want to practice on has 40 S&W blazer ammo scattered all over. It makes it more difficult to police my trash because I end up having to police theirs as well as mine.

just my 2 cents.

I usually pick mine up, when I shoot 40 I try to find most of what I shot as I dont want someone else loading some 40 cases they found on the ground that I may have already fired 3 or 4 times thinking its once fired stuff.

Picking my 45 brass up is easy, they are laying on the ground nice and neat in sets of 6, LOL

Hopefully, some of the brass guys selling once fired brass will take advantage of using the new usps fixed rate boxes for shipping brass with, hell you can fit 2000 40 cases in one of those boxes and ship it for 7.70 to anywhere in US

• 2 months later...

Local PD THROWS AWAY all their once fired .40!!!! Last week I came back from the range with half a five gallon bucket of Winchester and Federal cases. Sure they were fired in Glocks but I've never had any problems with it. My boys complain, though..."AWW Dad do we have to go in the dumpster AGAIN!?"

I still pick up my empties though...have gotten 10 reloads out of some of it. I like getting to spend money on more primers, powder and bullets rather than brass.

I still pick up my empties though...have gotten 10 reloads out of some of it.  I like getting to spend money on more primers, powder and bullets rather than brass.

gino-aki you got that right. Las fall I went to my shooting buddies range and I walked out into the bay and covering the ground was a pot load of .40 brass. The police dept had been out that morning or the day before and when I left I had picked up about 3500 rounds of once fired Winchester brass. :D

When it's free why buy it?

Shipster

I'll pick it up. If you load the brass 10 times and it initially cost you $15/1000, your actual cost is $15/10,000. (Oversimplified to make the point)

When I practice I tarp the shooting positions to make it easier to recover most of my brass. (At a weekly matches we call shooter, on deck, brass (2-3), tape, and steel.)

I do the tarp thing too, if I'm shooting drills from a single shooting position. Got some fine mesh net from Cheaper Than Dirt that works great.

minor drift - it's amazing how much spattered lead the net accumulates even if I myself am not shooting steel. It's only 3'x5'. - drift off...