Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.40 Brass Question

zhunter

Now that you put it that way I feel silly. I always feel the need to find most of my brass when I am done shooting. I pace back and forth making sure I don't miss anything. And sometimes I find more than I came with. I realy feel like I hit the jack pot when then that happens. After picking in the dirt for my $1.75 woth of brass I go home and log onto midayusa and blow $300 bucks on crap I don't need.

Maybe I need to rethink things ;)

Dave

Sorry for the confusion, the original poster asked the same question in both the .40 and .45 sub-forums. I merged them, deleted one, and I guess it stayed in the .45 sub-forum. Now it's here in the .40 forum where it belongs. At least, if we are to believe the topic title.

Jay

Guess it depends on how good your back is... I leave em lay when in matches. On my home range I let a BUNCH of em get togather on the ground before I pick em up. I guess its kinda like seeing a dime in the urinal and pitching in a couple of quarters to make it worthwhile to fish em out.... ;)

I always pick up my brass, if only to throw it away. Our range sometimes looks too much like a dump, the more so for all the discard brass lying around. IMHO, it's disrespectful to leave your mess around for others to clean up. If you are a brass picker, and want to get back you own, finding your new Starline .40, or any other case (some of which, like supercomp, you simply aren't going to get at brassmanbrass.com or scharch.com for anything close to 1 or 2 cents per), becomes looking for that one case in literally a hundred and is a lost cause.

A lot of people leave their junk brass on the range. So much the worse. There are a lot of new shooters who get their first supply of brass off the leavings of others. Caveat emptor, and all that, but newbies can get frustrated or maybe even hurt trying to load high pressure match ammo with 10x fired glock brass, NT crimped primer brass, or off brand stuff.

The only brass I leave on the range is .22 rimfire, because nobody can reload it, and if I can't pick it out of the gravel covering the range, then nobody else will. ;)

I pick mine up. But I don't get to anal about the whole thing. Outdoors I like to leave the range in better condition than I found it.

BTW- You should check out BrassMan Brass .40 is only $10/1000 I bought 5,000 mixed and was very happy with what I got. I also buy the $20/1000 same headstamp stuff just for major matches. That stuff is fantastic. All federal and all nickel.

Good shootin'

I pick mine up. But I don't get to anal about the whole thing. Outdoors I like to leave the range in better condition than I found it.

BTW- You should check out BrassMan Brass .40 is only $10/1000 I bought 5,000 mixed and was very happy with what I got. I also buy the $20/1000 same headstamp stuff just for major matches. That stuff is fantastic. All federal and all nickel.

Good shootin'

Wow, awesome, thanks, they will get my next order!!!!

I tend to pick up all my brass regardless of caliber.. and if I feel particularly like a brass houngd, I'll pick up other people's brass that they left lying there even if I don't shoot that caliber. Sometimes I like to brighten someone's day by asking if they need X brass and they do and "hear ya go". :)

Vince

Good shootin'

I get all my brass from John too. Great guy, always prompt service.

John at the Brass Man is very good, the Brass is cheap but 1000 once fired cases costs over $50 in postage, it weighs about 10lb.

SO! Hell yes I pick it up and use it and use it and use it etc.

Wow. Ever thought of just making a trip to the US with empty suitcases and flying home with enough brass to keep your fellow Kiwis stocked on .40 brass for a few years?

:)

Last time I was in the States my bag was bulging on the way home and the last couple of times I have got brass from John, I got him to sent to my daughter in Denver and she carried a lot home for, last xmas John forgot my order till it was too late and she left Denver a couple of hours before the brass arrived.

She posted it at $55 thats surface and can take 3 months (I think the US postal service still uses wooden ships and big sails)

Bill

... here they call us "Brass Whores."

I'm not ashamed to say that I bend over ... and take up my brass.

Wow! a brass whore, man! you guys are tough! Well I guess I would be "whoring around your range as well. But I wouldn't be a cheep whore I would only pick up shiney new looking brass. :ph34r::lol:

Regardless of caliber, I always pick up my practice brass. Our practice bays are not available to the "regular" club members, just to a handful of us. Leaving a mess down there would be a fast way to get the bays shut down.

At matches I don't bother. Someone always wants it, and I'm sure we'd hear about it if it was a problem. In the last few years I've noticed that less and less brass gets picked up at matches. If I'm in a squad where someone is shagging brass, the attitude seems to be "this guy is getting in the way".

I almost cried last year when I had to leave my new Starline nickle .45 brass behind at the sectional. Since then I've gotten over it. Of course since I was working a stage, I ended up with a bunch of assorted brass that more than made up for it. I think I picked up at least 1K of various .38 Super/Supercomp that I can use for my IDPA ESP loads.