Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lowering the Hammer Technique

ES13Raven

Pick a technique and practice the hell out of it. You'll get just as many people that do the pinch the sides technique as the roll the thumb out of the way. Whichever you pick, practice it as much as you can. And when you're live ( whether practice or competition ) make sure it's the only thing you're concentrating on. Don't be going over stage plan while you're doing it. Make it a deliberate action that has your complete focus and should never AD.

FWIW, i did the pinch the sides of the hammer with the index finger and thumb of the weak hand, pull back the hammer, pull the trigger, lower the hammer.

I used to use the Eurotrash method shown in this video:

It's a very safe and controlled method. No risk of the hammer slipping like with the common approach of pinching and lowering it with the thumb and pointer finger of the weak hand.

I've since switched to cowboy style and lower the hammer with my strong-hand thumb. Chicks dig it.

I used to use the Eurotrash method shown in this video:

It's a very safe and controlled method. No risk of the hammer slipping like with the common approach of pinching and lowering it with the thumb and pointer finger of the weak hand.

I've since switched to cowboy style and lower the hammer with my strong-hand thumb. Chicks dig it.

What he said.

I saw a buddy almost shoot himself in the foot with his sp01, he was right in the middle of saying decockers where dumb. He was absentmindedly using the thumb over hammer method, it encouraged his thumb to travel in a direction it wasn't meant to. His pride hurt at least as bad as his purple thumb.

Shot an SP01 for 7+ years and use the pinch method. I think the thumb over is an accident waiting to happen. My opinion and others may differ and that is okay.

My steps:

1. Point pistol down range and level.

2. Grip hammer the left hand and pinch. My palm is facing down range and left thumb is on left side of hammer. First finger on the right.

3. Take a deep breath and relax, and focus only on lowering hammer.

4. Pinch harder

5. Squeeze trigger and lower hammer.

Each step is slow, deliberate, and I think about each step before I do it. And, then focus on only that step as I perform it.

Watched video on the thumb roll method. And, I think it may be better. Will try in practice and see what I think.

On a CZ without a decocker, what is the safest method to lower the hammer with a live round in the chamber?

Take the live round out of the chamber.
Wouldn't pointing downrange and pulling the trigger be just as safe? I do it all the time, and I even hit the targets every now and then!

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=184232

Recently shot a steel match where I had to lower the hammer 30 times. After the very first time, I barely thought about it at all.

That's how accidents happen.

Pay attention, THINK about what you're doing. Decocking a gun or ULSC should never be automatic...

I wonder what recoil spring he has in that gun. It seems like he can rack the slide without really gripping it.

11# IIRC, I've been meaning to do a slow motion video about the way he racks his slide. He does it with everything from a shadow to a glock 21

Edited by amish_rabbi

You just kinda grip the front cocking serrations with the inside of your thumb and index finger with the web kinda pressed against the top of the slide. I find it super easy to do on my shadow and also very fast to get a proper firing grip after empty gun starts.

You just kinda grip the front cocking serrations with the inside of your thumb and index finger with the web kinda pressed against the top of the slide. I find it super easy to do on my shadow and also very fast to get a proper firing grip after empty gun starts.

yea thats how he does it in the video, but he came up with a better way a few months later, its pretty interesting and even faster.

Recently shot a steel match where I had to lower the hammer 30 times. After the very first time, I barely thought about it at all.

Pay attention, THINK about what you're doing. Decocking a gun or ULSC should never be automatic...

Did you catch my member number? I've never had an AD at a match, never been DQ'd. Thanks.

Did you catch my member number? I've never had an AD at a match, never been DQ'd. Thanks.

The comment wasnt directed at YOU, it was a generalized statement in response to something you said. NO ONE is immune to accidents...

Edited by Magsz