Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 34 Gen4 vs Gen3 for USPSA

dcrosle1

I have my mind set on buying a Glock 34 for production in USPSA competition although I may move on to limited in the future. I am still new to the sport. I currently have a Gen4 19 that I am using, which was my first handgun, and I like the smaller grip of the G4 compared to the G3. I have shot a G3 34 and although the wider grip on it did not bother me much, I wasn't as accurate as I am with my G4 19. I've also heard some people claim that they shoot better with their g4 34 after owning both gens.

Is there any benefit over one gen to the other in competition?

I was leaning towards the g4 34 and figured the better grip would be worth it since it's what I'm already used to and could always use the same trigger set up in my 19.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Edited by dcrosle1

No, not really. You'll hear a little nonsense about the geometry of the gen3 trigger and a little nonsense about the gen4 beavertail and bigger mag release. Run what you like. I prefer gen4 but I don't think I'd tag any less no shoots or my splits would improve with a different gen.

Even TTI recommends getting a gen3 unless you have small hands and can't get a grip on it. Something to do with nicer triggers and such.

I say if you are just starting out run that 19 until you feel like the gun is holding you back while trying as many different styles of guns as you can. Who know you might swap over to a completely different platform.

Good luck and be safe,

If your going to shoot production and maybe go to limited, G3 35, loaded down 40 makes a great production gun bigger holes make good line cutters few more points, and it makes a good limited gun. Just a thought.

I own the Gen4 34 and 17 and have shot their Gen3 counterparts pretty extensively before buying. Ultimately I chose the Gen4 because of the grip configurations which are legal in USPSA Production (the Gen3 cannot use beavertails legally). Looking back on it I think I overpaid and would have shot just as well with the Gen3's. Accuracy and reliably have been the same for me with either generation. It comes down to budget and grip preference.

I have both, I prefer the Gen 3 because the mag release is easier to reach & depress. I also agree on the G35 shooting 128pf minor vs the G34. You have the versitiity.

But also,...I am now making the change to M&P Pro in 40 (.40 lite) for production due to the trigger feel with apex inernal parts (cheap) anti glair Novak FO site, ambi mag release (IDPA weak hand stages), the auto slide drop, and new back straps (that can be stippled).

My Glocks are great,,, my wife and son will continue to shoo them, but M&P is now my pref.

Edited by Hallz

I have stuck solely with Gen 3 guns, but that was due to a problem I had seen with the early Gen 4 guns. Had issues with about every other G4 out of the box not ejecting empty magazines on slide lock. I noticed this on a g34 and then on a g22 both in G4. The G22 happened to a friend of mine in a state police academy. Needless to say we put him in a GEN 3. I noticed about 8 months later the packaging in the G4 boxes had changed and there were no issues with those models. I asked a few glock gunsmiths and had heard it was a problem with the mold on the early ones. I would say as long as you buy a newer G4 then your good to go and to buy what generation your most comfortable with. JMTC.

I like the Gen 4's but I've found the new guide rod / captured recoil spring doesn't cycle some of my reloads. I purchased the Jager rod/spring and haven't had any problems. The Gen 4 model 35 40 cal will not cycle minor 40 without the Jager rod/spring. Having said that, I still like the Gen 4's. The 34 9mm is an great gun, and the G35 40 cal in minor caliber shoots as soft or softer than the 9mm. There is a ton of information on the internet about buying the 40 cal, changing the barrel to shoot 9mm or loading 40 minor plus you have the option to shoot 40 major so there are more options with the G35.

• 4 weeks later...

I like the Gen 4's but I've found the new guide rod / captured recoil spring doesn't cycle some of my reloads. I purchased the Jager rod/spring and haven't had any problems. The Gen 4 model 35 40 cal will not cycle minor 40 without the Jager rod/spring. Having said that, I still like the Gen 4's. The 34 9mm is an great gun, and the G35 40 cal in minor caliber shoots as soft or softer than the 9mm. There is a ton of information on the internet about buying the 40 cal, changing the barrel to shoot 9mm or loading 40 minor plus you have the option to shoot 40 major so there are more options with the G35.

I ditched the dual recoil spring in my Gen 4 35 for a #13lbs single sprig set up, however to get down to 130pf 40 minor loads I had to go to a #11 spring for consistent slide lock. At 135pf and above the #13 was fine. With the KKM Conversion barrel the #13 spring runs and locks on 125pf 9mm minor loads.

My 3rd Gen 34 with the factory barrel is not as accurate as my 4th gen, but that is just my gun. Unfortunately Glock says 6-8" groups at 25 yards rested is acceptable even for a 34 or 35. That being said, another Glock barrel closed up the group to 3-4" and a GS fitted barrel closed up the grouping to 1.5"ish and a drop in KKM down to 2-3".

For what it's worth,

Even though the mag release has more surface area on the Gen 4's, the Gen 3 sticks out further. I do not have to break my grip to release the mags at all. On the Gen 4's is more difficult with the OEM release for my wife, my son or I than on the Gen 3. The trigger,....I have the ZEV

As mentioned above, if you reload and can get to 40 minor the felt recoil and muzzle flip is probably a wash. I loaded up some 200grn .40 that shoot as soft as my 147grn 9mm loads. If your hit is on or close to the perf, the additional diameter of the grease ring may be to your advantage.

But for me,...Purchasing a .40 gives me the option to shoot production, limited minor (with possible advantages above), limited major, limited 10 minor/major, and limited as is (if you desire). Also as I have done, utilizing a 9mm conversion barrel (GS fit preferably) and a SS recoil rod new mags ads a few oz to the front (nose) of the gun and to me, balances well with a magwell, extended base plates.

Then again,...maybe it all in each shooters head to justify what we do,....

If you have your mind made up on the Gen 4, 34 I doubt you will regret it. But if you go to limited you may end up buying a 35 also,...whats wrong with that???

Good luck finding what works for you.

• 4 weeks later...