Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Goodbye, flat footed reloads!

FTDMFR

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The first, and one of the biggest announcements, is on the flatfooted reload. While we thought we were headed the right direction with this, it became obvious that the membership at large did not like this new rule and that we missed the mark by implementing it. The members have spoken using the suggestion tool and we listened. When this version of the rule book becomes effective, the flat footed reload will not be gone. Big cheers all around we are sure.

They did not say anything except "the 2015 season of shooting" but it would be an unpopular MD who made us do flatfooted reloads next weekend. That would probably bring out the pitchforks and torches.

Do not be surprised if there is a stipulation that will inconvenience you in some other way.

They seem to think we need to be slowed down.

Edited by Jim Watson

If you are a member log in here for more info on other updates..

http://www.idpa.com/misc/

Idpa rules clarification -v 2014-10-31.pdf..

Rule 3.9 has changed and explained. Rule 3.19.3 holster/magazine carrier rule. Rule 6.7.explaining and the 75% rule shots fired and explained the 35 yard rule..Rule 6.21. Explained for weak hand only. Rule 8.1 7.non legal mods for all divisions.

Rule 8.2.1.4. SSP Excluded Modifications (Non-Inclusive list):

Rule 8.2.1.4.1. Externally visible modifications other than those listed in the Permitted Modifications section.

Question: Is the CZ Custom Shop Accu-Shadow or Accu-Target allowed in SSP?

Answer: Since the CZ Custom Shop is not an OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer), the CZ SP-01

Accu-Shadow and Accu-Target will not be deemed SSP legal, based on the externally visible modifications made to the slide by a non-OEM.

Rule 8.2.1.4. SSP Excluded Modifications (Non-Inclusive list):

Rule 8.2.1.4.1. Externally visible modifications other than those listed in the Permitted Modifications section.

Question: Some polymer guns are coming from the factory with interchangeable back straps of different

sizes and shapes. Are aftermarket back straps allowed in ESP or SSP?

Answer: Aftermarket back straps are allowed in ESP, but not SSP since they are non-factory parts and

would be visible external modifications.

Rule 8.6.2. Magazine Carrier Rules -Magazine carriers must:

Rule 8.6.2.1. Be suitable for concealed carry and all day continuous wear.

Question: Are the Ghost 360 magazine pouches which carry magazines in a “bullets out” configuration

allowed in IDPA?

Answer: No. “Bullets out” magazine pouches protrude from the belt considerably more than normal

magazine carriers and are not suitable for all day carry.

I've been a "vocal" critic of IDPA's leadership since the new rulebook. Having stated the obvious, I give them credit for not only reversing that rule but openly admitting it was a mistake to implement it in the first place.

Hopefully they've adopted a new approach to membership input. If they have...it would be a positive step in repairing the relationship between H.Q. and those of us who left and would like to return.

+1 to Chuck D. And... to all the Kool Aid Drinkers who vigorously defended anything Berryville did - it seems that all us "whining complainers" did accomplish something positive.

You can Thank us later :roflol:

+1 to Chuck D. And... to all the Kool Aid Drinkers who vigorously defended anything Berryville did - it seems that all us "whining complainers" did accomplish something positive.

You can Thank us later :roflol:

+1 glad they listened and made the change. Hope they are not done though making changes to the change!

I, for one, am really glad they have decided to make this change. But since you can't please everyone..... I wish they hadn't announced it yet. The whiners will say " well, since it is going to be legal, why can't we do it now?" And, there could still be a peculiar twist to the rule when implemented. Wouldn't be the first time.....

The whiners will say " well, since it is going to be legal, why can't we do it now?"

You bet. And I will be one of them. I repeat, it will be a brave MD who holds his shooters to the FFR until HQ does something "official" on it.

And, there could still be a peculiar twist to the rule when implemented.

Also true. I think the FFR was punishment for giving up on penalizing "round dumping". I would not put it past our leaders finding a tactical expert to restrict us in some other way, maybe even more inconvenient.

Given that many local clubs with a 25-40 shooter turnout weren't really paying a lot of serious attention to the abomination that HQ dubbed "The NRB", I would be very surprised if these same clubs (I shoot at a couple of them) said "OK, HQ said it. Ya can now reload on the move behind cover" this weekend.

To which some Newbie Range Lawyer will then chime ..."But... but... but... that Rule hasn't been officially promulgated yet! We have to go by the old rules until the new rules become the new rules."

To which, said crusty old MD might say " We didn't pay a helluva lot of attention to the new rule book when it was new, so why should we start now?".

If the folks in Berryville ever got into the hinterlands, where the smaller clubs are, and where many members shoot, and where many new members are made... they would realize that what they 'dictate from high' doesn't mean squat at the smaller clubs.

Given that many local clubs with a 25-40 shooter turnout weren't really paying a lot of serious attention to the abomination that HQ dubbed "The NRB", I would be very surprised if these same clubs (I shoot at a couple of them) said "OK, HQ said it. Ya can now reload on the move behind cover" this weekend.

To which some Newbie Range Lawyer will then chime ..."But... but... but... that Rule hasn't been officially promulgated yet! We have to go by the old rules until the new rules become the new rules."

To which, said crusty old MD might say " We didn't pay a helluva lot of attention to the new rule book when it was new, so why should we start now?".

If the folks in Berryville ever got into the hinterlands, where the smaller clubs are, and where many members shoot, and where many new members are made... they would realize that what they 'dictate from high' doesn't mean squat at the smaller clubs.

And that right there is one of the reasons that IDPA (rightfully so, IMO) has the reputation for subjective SO-ing that it does. Because if the local clubs can't be bothered to follow the rules (dumb or not, them's the rules) and just do whatever they want, it isn't much of a surprise that shooters competing at a new club (or at a major match outside of their normal area) have issues with how the "rules" are being enforced.

Or not enforced, depending on the circumstance.

Folks have just started a new IDPA club (in the last year or so) in my area. Pretty much everyone hated the flat-footed reload rule. And yet, we followed it, because we prefer to run IDPA according to the promulgated ruleset, and thus we hoped that when we went elsewhere to shoot, they'd also follow the promulgated ruleset so that there was consistency.

Currently, while we know that the flat-footed-reload is going to disappear, we don't know what will take it's place, and the new ruleset is not out yet. As such, our local club will continue to follow the rules until said rules changes.

Personally, I find it disappointing that other clubs can't be bothered to follow the rules (even though they still call themselves IDPA). Probably makes it a bit hard on anyone from outside the area who happens to stop by to shoot a match.

(I note that I'm waiting for IDPA HQ to add some OTHER sort of stupid to the reload rules, in place of the flat-footed-reload. I'm hoping that at worst they'll go back to the old reload rules, but I don't expect it to be that simple.)

Personally, I find it disappointing that other clubs can't be bothered to follow the rules (even though they still call themselves IDPA). Probably makes it a bit hard on anyone from outside the area who happens to stop by to shoot a match.

It shouldn't be too hard for adults to know what part of the rule book their local club might bend for them and to be able to ask if there are any areas in which the new club doesn't adhere strictly to guidlines. I've done this with other hobbies and was always given a straight answer. I knew then what I had to adjust, if anything, and I generally enjoyed the new experience and additional competition among new people.

It shouldn't be too hard for adults to know what part of the rule book their local club might bend for them and to be able to ask if there are any areas in which the new club doesn't adhere strictly to guidlines. I've done this with other hobbies and was always given a straight answer. I knew then what I had to adjust, if anything, and I generally enjoyed the new experience and additional competition among new people.

So part of the job of going to shoot IDPA in a new place is to ask what all the rules are? Let's see, if the home club bends rules, but the new club bends different rules, then you end up with a remarkably different rulebook between them.

As an IDPA shooter, my job includes having to go research the rules every time I shoot in a different place? I can see this now: "Hi folks, I'm new here, what parts of the rulebook do you guys not follow?"

Or instead, everyone could just follow the standard rules. Hey it's an IDPA match, following IDPA rules. WHAT A SURPRISE!

But hey, apparently "rules" are actually "suggestions"---which is why IDPA catches attitude all the time for the subjective nature of its ROing.

A very veteran MD once responded to a question regarding a stage that had more non-threat targets than the RB allowed, and required strong hand only shooting at a range beyond 10 yards. He simply stated "IDPA club affiliation means I have to hold 6 IDPA rules matches each year. This isn't one of them."

So much fail in this post. Beyond GOF's normal IDPA bashing, putting forth that this is the attitude of regular clubs is ridiculous.

A very veteran MD once responded to a question regarding a stage that had more non-threat targets than the RB allowed, and required strong hand only shooting at a range beyond 10 yards. He simply stated "IDPA club affiliation means I have to hold 6 IDPA rules matches each year. This isn't one of them."

Must have been a surprise to the people who showed up to shoot an IDPA match, since I'm pretty sure that was how they advertised the match.