Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1 to 4 Seconds to the Start Signal

Fuelie777

Just curious. At the nationals, how many RO's did a silent count of the 1 to 4 seconds before the start signal after the "Standby" command?

I know as a competitor, I really do not like the "Standby" then immediate beep?

I have been insta beeped and it throws me off. When I run the timer I give a 2-3 second pause...

I have wondered about this approach to the situation if you are the shooter.

What if you just stood there and then asked the RO, "did you beep?" And when he says yes, reply that the beep blended into his "standby command". Could he insist that you start at that point with the first beep? Or would he be obligated to do a restart?

Sorry for the thread drift...

Edited by kamikaze1a

I have been insta beeped and it throws me off. When I run the timer I give a 2-3 second pause...

I have wondered about this approach to the situation if you are the shooter.

What if you just stood there and then asked the RO, "did you beep?" And when he says yes, reply that the beep blended into his "standby command". Could he insist that you start at that point with the first beep? Or would he be obligated to do a restart?

Sorry for the thread drift...

8.3.4 “Start Signal” – The signal for the competitor to begin their attempt at the course of fire. If a competitor fails to react to a start signal, for any reason, the Range Officer will confirm that the competitor is ready to attempt the course of fire, and will resume the range commands from “Are You Ready?”.

The reason for the question is more to do that when I RO, I tend to wait 2 to 3 seconds to activate the timer, and I get chasitised by the "crew" for either varying or having the delay per the rule book. And yes, I get short start signal, I just do not start.

The reason for the question is more to do that when I RO, I tend to wait 2 to 3 seconds to activate the timer, and I get chasitised by the "crew" for either varying or having the delay per the rule book. And yes, I get short start signal, I just do not start.

If the "crew" complains for varying or using the delay, just quote them the rule number, tell them to look it up and READ the rule.

ROs blazing through the range commands like they're a formality are a pet peeve of mine.... "Are you ready standby beep"

There is a question, then a command, then I really do try to mix things up with the delay. It's fair to the earlier shooters in the squad as well as the later ones, if no one can guess your cadence.

If the "crew" complains for varying or using the delay, just quote them the rule number, tell them to look it up and READ the rule.

Or, you could say "Are you ready? Stand byyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyybeep!" That'll satisfy both the delay and their need for a short beep. <grin>

Thanks for the replys. I do vary the cadence of 1 to 4 seconds, and get chastised by the "crew". I have quoted the rule number, etc. and just shrug it off. I was just very curious as to what others see, do, and observe. By the way, I detest being short "beeped" and many times just won't repond.

Chastized by the "crew"? You mean squad? Sorry, the "crew" part threw me off.

What are they complaining about? You're just doing what you're supposed to do. Have them show you the rule that supports their position. Until then, standby...(1 thousand 1)...(1 thousand 2)...(1 thou...) beep!

8.3.4 “Start Signal” – The signal for the competitor to begin their attempt at the course of fire. If a competitor fails to react to a start signal, for any reason, the Range Officer will confirm that the competitor is ready to attempt the course of fire, and will resume the range commands from “Are You Ready?”.

I like that rule. The beep can be drowned out by shooting from the adjacent bay or the rest of the squad talking :goof: so the wording of "for any reason" is great to have. I try to be ready for the beep at "Shooter Ready". I guess I take things literally.

DNH

I didn't hear any short beeps but I certainly had a few long ones. I had (and others told me they did too) a stage where I was waiting and waiting, hands didn't move... then told I was creeping. Pretty hard not to sway at all with "Hurricane, UT" winds. I almost would like it if we let the timers random feature work for us. At end of standby RO presses button and you know you have 1-4 seconds.

I think part of the problem is some people don't realize that 1 sec is longer than they think (the short-beepers), and others that don't realize how long 4 seconds actually is (those that think they got long-beeped)...LOL!

I know when I have my Pact III on delay for dry-fire sometimes I get irritated with how long the 3 sec delay feels like.

I almost would like it if we let the timers random feature work for us. At end of standby RO presses button and you know you have 1-4 seconds.

Problem with that is there's no way for the RO to cancel out of the random delay start for people that do start to creep. You'd have to let them start, then stop them, then reset targets, then wait for mags to be reloaded... a big hog show.

Anyone who doesn't like how the rules are followed can take it up with the CRO and RM. :)

I was at a major match this year where an RO was short beeping everyone on our squad really bad. When it came my turn to shoot, he short beeped me and I didn't move. He then restarted the range commands and short beeped me again, once again I didn't move. Perplexed he asked me if I couldn't hear the beep and I said "I can hear the beep fine, but I am not going to start when the beep comes in less than 1 second after the Stand By command". He balked at that response and just before he could start throwing a fit, I pulled the rule book out of my back pocket and pointed to rule 8.3.3 and asked him to read it and adjust his beep timing to comply with the rules. He read the rule, handed back my rule book, and restarted me with an appropriate delay between stand by and the beep.

Some times leading someone to the water actually results in them drinking it.