Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which CZ to go with?

mikeinctown

Mike it was the Da-Sa model. The double action on the first shot is not a big deal when the action is so smooth. And the trigger job will include a lighter hammer spring and polished internals. The SRT disconnect is very nice. I slapped my trigger with Glocks. Th short reset on the CZ creates trigger control for you

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the info. I've been reading the IDPA rules that many of the clubs around me utilize and it seems I would be taking a risk as to what would be legal and not if I bought a standard SP-01 then worked it over. Have to be very careful. If I bought the regular shadow non railed then I know I'd be legal as long as the company produced 20,000 of them. So frustrating.

I've been reading the IDPA rules that many of the clubs around me utilize and it seems I would be taking a risk as to what would be legal and not if I bought a standard SP-01 then worked it over.

It really is not that difficult.

Internally you can do anything you want to the trigger to make it suit you. Externally the only things worth changing are sights and grips. The simplest and most effective thing to do re sights is to swap the front sight for a thinner Dawson fiber optic sight and keep the rear sight (maybe blacken the white dots if you don't like them)

That's it. Anything else is really window dressing that won't really improve your performance.

I'm debating buying a regular 75 shadow at this point.

This is what I would do if I wanted a shadow at this point. The 75 shadow is fantastic and quite similar to an sp 01 shadow. The minor differences have been accurately described many times. Unless you want to lay down the bigger bucks on an sp 01, and just have the full dustcover, the 75 shadow is the way to go.

• 3 weeks later...

mikeinctown, a while ago I faced the same dilemma you are. Having leaned from a previous mistake, I did not want to repeat it. My mistake was ordering a custom 9mm gun that I thought would do everything. It did, but it was not a wise choice.

Here was my though process when deciding which CZ. If I wanted to be IDPA legal and USPSA Production legal, there were a number of CZ pistols that fit the bill. You are considering many of them. A 9mm is what comes to mind; however, you are at a distinct disadvantage if you want to shoot Limited and for all steel and pin matches that require you to clear the pins and knock over the steel. I decided to go 40 S&W.

When I delved more deeply into different sports and shot some matches, I discovered there was worlds of difference between them. USPSA is way more fun and a lot more exciting (to me). Defensive pistol shooting has its place, and I may shoot it again. I decided that if I did, I'd use a 1911.

Freed from IDPA requirements, I was able to narrow the scope down. I didn't have to shoot USPA Production, so I didn't have to have a conforming pistol. I prefer single action, so I decided I would shoot USPSA Limited. No one shoots Limited 10 around here, because we are not in a 10 round mag State. So that further narrowed the criteria. It had to be 40 S&W so I could easily and safely make Major PF when needed. It had to have a large mag capacity. 18 was the minimum I wanted, but preferred 20. It had to be single action, have a good trigger and be heavy enough to soak up recoil and get back on target quickly. That light gun for fast transitions stuff doesn't work for me. I gain a millisecond or two on the transition, but lose a lot more waiting for the sights to realign because the recoil flipped the gun high.

Instead of building a custom 2011 pistol, I went with the CZ75 TS in 40. I definitely do not regret that choice. The trigger is 2lbs and great right out of the box. It is accurate and soft shooting. Major PF loads feel like Bullseye loads do in my 1911. Soft. I use them in matches that score major and for plates that must be toppled and pins that must be knocked completely off the table. I shoot Minor PF loads at shoots that don't score major, or ringy-dingy steel or pin matches that only require you to topple the pin, not clear it. I'll tell you that shooting 139PF out of that pistol feels like cheating. It is faster than any 9mm I've shot, and even faster than my 1911 with mouse fart Bullseye loads.

I'm happy with my choice. I tried the one size fits all approach and didn't like it. Since I am not limited to only one pistol, why not specialize a little. I have a Hammerli and a custom 1911 for Bullseye, and I can replace the optics on the 1911 if I want to shoot IDPA. I have a 22 open gun for steel challenge and 22 League plate and pin matches, and the TS for everything else. Hope this is helpful.

At the price, a P09 is a hard piece to pass up. I suggest buying one, shooting it like crazy, then deciding where you want to go with it. The CZ metal guns are great as well, but the 07 and 09 are just at an awesome price point...and they will shoot any ammo you can make fit in the mag (my experience).

I'd rather have a factory SP01 than a 75 Shadow :sight:

I totally agree I did get a great deal from local dealer NIB SP01 for $585 plus tax. CGW parts and sights right at $900 and I have a unbelievable gun with a smooooth trigger.

Kneelingatlas I need to give you a public THANK YOU and also thanks to others. I followed your threads and learn a lot about my CZ while doing the work myself. It was the biggest job I have tackled and look forward to doing another gun. I have a buddy that may buy mine and I may do another one for myself not sure if I can part with it though.

I believe the Shadow models should be legal in USPSA production and IDPA SSP. Decocker guns can be made really good with some custom work, but they still aren't quite as nice as the DA/SA triggers.

IMHO, it's best to buy the nicest gun you are comfortable purchasing. A couple hundred dollars up front does not make too much difference when you compare the amount you can spend on range time, ammo and travel time. On average, I spend about the same amount on ammo per year that I spent to purchase my SP01. Of course, admittedly, I always use this logic to justify a slightly nicer initial investment. :D

Isn't a decocker gun one that has DA/SA? Forgive my ignorance of CZ but I have Sigs and HKs and they all are DA/SA with decocker (I like that particular manual of arms...).

Isn't a decocker gun one that has DA/SA? Forgive my ignorance of CZ but I have Sigs and HKs and they all are DA/SA with decocker (I like that particular manual of arms...).

I believe JayDee is alluding to the fact that a DA/SA CZ with decocker is a bit more difficult to get a nice trigger compared to a DA/SA CZ that is equipped with a manual safety.

Edited by cjfung10

I have the 75 Shadow, it is a DA/Sa gun with no decocker. There are several variants with the CZ 75. I believe the 75 Tactical has the decocker. I had a delima trying the best way to get the trigger all the way dropped to start legally in IDPA. All it took is for one person to show the safe way and zero issue or fear of a negligent discharge. And yes the reason I chose the one without the decocker was all my searching a CZ 75 without a decocker and FPB had the potential for the best trigger. It is my first CZ and so happy with the decision!