Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Top Production Bullets

Smitty79

The only conversation that comes near the volume of what is the best Production gun, is what is the best bullet weight. I've seen the post about the top shooter production guns, CZ's and Clones. Is there any information on the bullets they used out there?

I get faster splits and like shooting 147's. But I've read many times that top shooters shoot 124's.

Bullet weight, really?

I bet there are far more productive things to work on and worry about for your match performance than the recoil difference of two bullets in 9 mm.

125s for me. They are cheaper and they feed cleanly through all my pistols. That's about as much thought I am willing to put into the subject.

There are more productive things. I'm more interested from a curiosity standpoint. I shoot 147s measurably faster. There are tons of threads on this. So far, I've only found solid information on Angus Hobdell (124) and Bob Vogel (147). I've found Matt Mink shooting 135's. But that might have been a one off.

There are so many individual things that go into what bullet weight a particular shooter uses and why that even if you had data that showed 'X' bullet weight was used by many top shooters I doubt it would mean anything. If you shoot 147s faster what else do you need to know?

If you found out that 9 of the top 10 at the Production Nationals were using 160 g bullets would you really go out and start using them?

Probably not. I don't want to ream my barrel. I am at the limit of how deep I can seat bullets and still get them to chamber as it is. If I shot a Glock, I would give it a try.

If you found out that 9 of the top 10 at the Production Nationals were using 160 g bullets would you really go out and start using them?

A lot of people think that 147s knock down steel better. I shoot 147s because that is what my press is set up for and I don't like to mess with it if I don't have to. In a heavy gun like a CZ there isn't much felt recoil difference between a 147 and a 125. There is a lot more noticeable difference in the lighter poly guns.

The only conversation that comes near the volume of what is the best Production gun, is what is the best bullet weight. I've seen the post about the top shooter production guns, CZ's and Clones. Is there any information on the bullets they used out there?

I get faster splits and like shooting 147's. But I've read many times that top shooters shoot 124's.

I think it's a great question, and a relevant question. I definitely don't know the answer, but I was talking to Matt Mink (one of the top GM Production shooters, one of the top CZ gunsmiths, and owner of Automatic Accuracy) at the IL Section match on Friday (was using it as a warm up for World Shoot) and he has run several shooting tests on 124, 135, and 147gr. Now, what kind of tests these were I don't know, I didn't ask. I don't want to speak for Matt, but just relay what he said. He said he had been shooting 147, and then switched to 135. But after running several different shooting tests with the different bullets, decided to go back to the 147. He said the 147 were giving him the best results. Pretty sure he shoots Black Bullets brand.

On a side note I had the fortune of taking a class in March with Mink/Stoeger, had Matt work his magic on one of my CZ's, and followed his squad on Friday at IL Sect. I shot Saturday but took work off Friday as it's not everyday I get to see a top GM shoot. Mink is a great dude who is easy to talk to and always seems to enjoy talking about the shooting sports.

Edited by JGus

I started with 115s because I didn't know any better......

....at some pointed we all started searching for the softest load possible, and we all switched to shooting 147s -- the switch was so abrupt that I recently found an ammo can with 1200 rounds of loaded 115s from 2000-2002 reloading sessions....

147s were very soft, easy to shoot accurately, and I was shooting them when I learned how to call my shots, and to really see during a match......

Then I ran out and started loading the 5500 left over 125 heads I had laying around after an abandoned open gun project. I discovered that I like the way the 125s cycle the gun better -- the sights come down into the notch just a little more crisply......

Ultimately though there are no shortcuts -- I think you need to experiment, and don't be surprised if what you like changes over time/with experience....

I think it's a great question, and a relevant question. I definitely don't know the answer, but I was talking to Matt Mink (one of the top GM Production shooters, one of the top CZ gunsmiths, and owner of Automatic Accuracy) at the IL Section match on Friday (was using it as a warm up for World Shoot) and he has run several shooting tests on 124, 135, and 147gr. Now, what kind of tests these were I don't know, I didn't ask. I don't want to speak for Matt, but just relay what he said. He said he had been shooting 147, and then switched to 135. But after running several different shooting tests with the different bullets, decided to go back to the 147. He said the 147 were giving him the best results. Pretty sure he shoots Black Bullets brand.

On a side note I had the fortune of taking a class in March with Mink/Stoeger, had Matt work his magic on one of my CZ's, and followed his squad on Friday at IL Sect. I shot Saturday but took work off Friday as it's not everyday I get to see a top GM shoot. Mink is a great dude who is easy to talk to and always seems to enjoy talking about the shooting sports.

I second that. Matt is a great guy...We were on the same squad at the BITBG this year. It was like we were having a pasting contest with him on the squad...not only was he out shooting everyone, he was doing his best to out paste them as well...

I prefer mid-weight 9mm projectiles like Ibejiheads 130grn... I say try and test a few different types, weights using a consistent powder load. Measure (if u can) the difference of felt recoil, muzzle flip and accuracy. Then stick with what works best.

I like 124gr 9mm xtreme round nose bullets. I started out with 147gr and they just felt too sluggish for me or more of push feeling. The 124gr is a little more sharp in recoil but it seems my sights recover faster and thats what I like.