Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm 1911: Springfield RO, STI Spartan, STI Trojan?

SpookyPistolero

Yup, another 'which if these' thread! I've seen some of these options discussed in other threads, but I've worn out Google and the search button looking for some consensus statements.

I'm interest in a 9mm 1911. Having owned a rock island 9mm, which was an abysmal failure, I'm eager to not repeat the experience. I've read reviews on all of the above models, and it seems like the Trojan is king. It's also a bit above what I'd like to spend. I like the forged frame on the springer, but don't know what the expect in terms of trigger and reliability. The spartan is the most attractive price, but how reliable should I expect the internals to be?

Right now I can grab a used Springfield RO for $700, and I just learned Shooters Connection is up the road from me, so a $750 spartan is easily obtainable. For someone just trying to become a better shooter, but not yet(!) doing competition, is the extra $500 on the Trojan worth it? That's a lot of ammo and training I could buy.

My gut it steering me away from the springer, but I don't know why.

Any thoughts are quite appreciated! Would love to get a reliable rig.

For $700, I'd jump on the RO. I have the Spartan, & it's been flawless. The 9mm RO wasn't out yet when I bought it. The internals on the Spartan are STI parts, so should be better than the Armscor parts. The Trojan is nice, look for a used one to offset some cost.

What was the failure on the RIA?

I've read that the Spartan line uses RIA frames with STI internals. The Spartans are nice looking guns but do carry a hefty price tag. The RO is probably the one I would go with based on price and reputation of the manufacturer.

I have a RIA 9mm Tactical. Sorry to hear about your issues with one. I'd call them and ship it back to them. They will fix it and usually give it a performance tune. I have about 1500 flawless rounds through mine. Did you clean it out real good B4 shooting it. If this is to far off topic just say so.

The Range Officer is pretty hard to beat. Mine runs exceptionally well with the factory 9 round and Dawson Precision 10 round mags. It has fed and fired fmj, jhp, and coated lead of varying weights without a hitch. I'm considering sending it in to Springfield's custom shop for some upgrades but it doesn't really need anything. I just can't leave well enough alone!!

I went through the same RO vs STI research before I ended up with a 45acp RO. At the end of the day they seem to be equally respected. I ended up with the RO simply because it was the first one of those two I ran across when everything was hard to find a couple winters ago.

I saw that thread with all the headaches that fellow had. I can only say that my experience has been the opposite, although I have closer to 5k through mine than 25k. But I've had zero gunsmith work on mine and it ran though a full competition season with zero issues. The trigger could be lightened if I wanted, but it's plenty decent as is. And the gun is dead accurate and still tight. Maybe time will tell me a different story, who knows. But I think every manufacturer can throw a lemon from time to time. And sometimes we create our own issues with less than ideal cleaning/lube habits and spring replacements.

The story that guy tells about outfitting one with competition parts is certainly the case. But those of us already in the sport know that list going in, hehehe. For my part I have VZ grips, grip tape on front strap, S&A magwell, extended mag release, FO front sight, and 16lb recoil spring. CMC Power Mags round out the kit for me.

I went through the same decision process earlier this year. I bought the RO. Because I knew i was going to change out most of the parts anyway. So why spend $400 more for a Trojan just to spend another $300 on setting it up the way you want it.

I would choose the RO over the Spartan everyday.

I love my 9mm trojan. Has been flawless and shoots very smooth. I piddled around for a while and ended up getting a like new package on the forums here for a couple hundred bucks off. If time is on your side watch for the best deal and be quick!

Speaking from experience...buy the best that you can afford. It will be much cheaper in the long run.

If you can swing it, I would HIGHLY recommend a Dan Wesson PM-9. You can pick up a used one at a price very close to that of a Trojan.

Mine started out as a range gun, and is now my main USPSA and steel piece. I added a TGO magwell and a Dawson front sight, other than that it is all original.

I estimate I have shot over 50k rounds through it, and it is still exceedingly accurate and reliable.

I've had a Spartan in 9mm and it ran very well with my reloads. Have a 9mm Trojan now and it runs great also. A friend has a Range Officer and while I've never shot it as far as I know he's had no problems with it either. I would probably buy the RO for the $700. It's a quality gun with a good rep. Plus this way you can buy the 4 or 5 mags you'll need if you shoot any of the games. 5 Dawsen or Trip 10 rounders will run another $150 to $200, then ammo if you don't reload. Just my 2 cents worth.

For what it's worth, I have an RO 9mm with about 500 rounds through it. Very pleased with the pistol vs the cost. I won my division in the first Steel Challenge match I shot with the gun. I bought 6 of the Dawson 10 rounders and a friend made me a holster, so I don't have a lot into this so far. The gun is fast and handles well. I got a good deal on some VZ grips on the classifieds and that's the only thing I have done to the gun. I plan on getting a Dawson front, ambi safety, Dawson Toolless Guide Rod with a 9lb and S&A Magwell. Eventually I would like to replace the rear sight, but no hurry for that.

I am a B shooter creeping up on A class and I think it's pretty cool I can take this gun out of the box, hit a match and be successful with very little time and no work on the gun. Don't get me wrong, I still want a STI, but I think this is a very good bargin. Especially if you are ADHD when it comes to shooting and constantly switching from Production, to Limited to SS.

I'll try to post a pic up later because I know everyone likes pics.

ETA - I would get the best you can afford; however, at the RO price point, it makes it much easier grabbing mags and upgrades. I think the CRP Trojans from Dawson are a pretty good way to go. And some pics:

009.jpg

014.jpg

020.jpg

022.jpg

Edited by rugerp89ipsc

Thank much to everyone for the helpful comments. I've got a lot to consider still. It's probably a comforting fact that all these options have a fair level of support.

I think the CRP Trojans from Dawson are a pretty good way to go.

I only just became aware of this model. It seems like the price difference is pretty small to to get the magwell and mag release upgrade. I saw one in some classifieds with a few mags for 1200. I couldn't see that direct from Dawson included any mags, so seems like like a good deal.

Too many choices!

Does the RO have the GI style spring set up or a guide rod?

Going to be in the market for a 9mm 1911 myself and looking at the same pistols as the OP. RO is right up there but really like my .40 Trojan. I would definitely change out the front sight on the RO for a Dawson fiber optic as I find them very quick on target. Have them on both my Glocks and my Eagle and Trojan.

Does the RO have the GI style spring set up or a guide rod?

Going to be in the market for a 9mm 1911 myself and looking at the same pistols as the OP. RO is right up there but really like my .40 Trojan. I would definitely change out the front sight on the RO for a Dawson fiber optic as I find them very quick on target. Have them on both my Glocks and my Eagle and Trojan.

The RO has a GI style guide and plug.