Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which low pro adj gas block are you using?

GreenDragon64

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any of these fit under an AP Customs carbon fiber tube?

Yup. I have an SLR series 7 clamp under my AP. Word of caution, get an extended Allen. I have a 15" handguard over a 16" barrel. My 6" Allen can BARELY reach far enough to make adjustments.

Edited by v1911

I have an 18" barrel with the Noveske 16.7" handguard and a mid length gas system. I built a hex driver using a long shank screw driver and a hex key from sets I bought at Harbor Freight. Wound up being cheaper than anything I could buy on Amazon or from SLR and I got a few extra tools for other stuff out of the deal.

I really do appreciate all of the input from you great individuals, even the non-competitor ;-)

I shot some mild loads the other day and they were ejecting as close to 12 o'clock as possible. Standard carbine buffer, full auto bcg, rifle length gas on an 18" barrel. It'll be nice for the recoil reduction and being able to find all of my brass in one pile.

The parallax tactical unit looks like a good buy if it works well. Ever had any adjustment settings work loose on it since it doesn't have a locking set screw?

Not yet, they supply a nice long allen wrench to adjust it which is handy because I have the 15 handguard, rifle gas. I have only had to turn it a half turn from bottom for reliable function, brass piles 8' right, at 4 o'clock. (ignore the steel case).

583E0B30-0237-47B7-B81E-32265C973A77_zps

• 4 weeks later...

Just built a new 3Gun upper and took it out yesterday. It is a 16" mid-length Nordic barrel with a standard non-adjustable YHM low profile gas block; Voodoo Innovations lower mass BCG and standard carbine buffer/spring; AP Customs carbon fiber hand guard; and Seekins ATC brake. Great accuracy (.60" group at 100) and it ran 100%, but failed to lock back on an empty mag most of the time (shot most with only one round in various mags to test function); and it ejected all cases forward of the firing line at 1 o'clock. Recoil seemed to be a bit more than I was expecting with the mid-length, low mass carrier and muzzle brake.

Sounds like its over-gassed, right? Adjustable gas block needed? Thanks for any feedback.

You didn't mention what stock you're running, but it sounds like a lightweight build. The weight of your overall build will also contribute your recoil preception.

Without an adjustable GB, you're not getting as much benefit from your low mass BCG. Sounds like you may also need to play with buffer weight to achieve proper cycling.

Just built a new 3Gun upper and took it out yesterday. It is a 16" mid-length Nordic barrel with a standard non-adjustable YHM low profile gas block; Voodoo Innovations lower mass BCG and standard carbine buffer/spring; AP Customs carbon fiber hand guard; and Seekins ATC brake. Great accuracy (.60" group at 100) and it ran 100%, but failed to lock back on an empty mag most of the time (shot most with only one round in various mags to test function); and it ejected all cases forward of the firing line at 1 o'clock. Recoil seemed to be a bit more than I was expecting with the mid-length, low mass carrier and muzzle brake.

Sounds like its over-gassed, right? Adjustable gas block needed? Thanks for any feedback.

It should toss brass at 4 o clock,1 o clock is undergassed,u cant have that shooting competitively, going w an adjustable block will allow u to tune the gun so youll have lower recoil,less muzzle rise, and the ability to stay on target easier.I like the BTE blocks, theyre cost effective and work well in addition to being small and light. JP and a few others make good blocks but theyre pricey and do the same as the little guy., Once I found the BTE stuff its all Ive used.. hope this helps

PS BTE is battle tested equipment, owned by vets

Edited by Dustbuster1

I took 'er out earlier this week. Emptied the buffer, installed the adj gas block and VDI lightweight bcg. Was able to dial it in using listed minimum charges for 3 powders. CFE and H335 min charges worked, have to up H322 from the listed 22.5 charge to 23, only one it wouldn't lock back on, but it did cycle.

It should toss brass at 4 o clock,1 o clock is undergassed,u cant have that shooting competitively, going w an adjustable block will allow u to tune the gun so youll have lower recoil,less muzzle rise, and the ability to stay on target easier.I like the BTE blocks, theyre cost effective and work well in addition to being small and light. JP and a few others make good blocks but theyre pricey and do the same as the little guy., Once I found the BTE stuff its all Ive used.. hope this helps

Took it out again this afternoon and it ran like a champ. 100% reliable and only 2 instances of it not locking back on empty; used a variety of 7 mags/brands. Still kicking brass to 1 o'clock though. Recoil is good and it runs fast. Tried to outrun it with the SD3G trigger and couldn't.

Could it simply be the case of a new upper and BCG getting to know the existing lower and bolt catch?

I made zero changes to rifle since last session and same handloads.

Edited by KY1911

Is the gas block aligned to the gas port properly? A lot of gas blocks require a 0.02" off set from the barrel shoulder....

Mick

Took it out again this afternoon and it ran like a champ. 100% reliable and only 2 instances of it not locking back on empty; used a variety of 7 mags/brands. Still kicking brass to 1 o'clock though. Recoil is good and it runs fast. Tried to outrun it with the SD3G trigger and couldn't.

Could it simply be the case of a new upper and BCG getting to know the existing lower and bolt catch?

I made zero changes to rifle since last session and same handloads.