Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bad day at the range yesterday - Edge goes KABOOM

rottenit

Had a bad day at the range yesterday, my Brazos HP Edge went Kaboom

I had just finished up doing some 50yd groups and switched to a dot torture drill at 21ft. On shot #29 I felt a sharp jolt in my hand and it felt like someone threw a bunch of sand in my face. I looked down at the gun and the chamber was split open and in multiple pieces. The slide would not operate due to the chamber being bent out of the cut-out. Dropped the mag top round was damaged and the feed lips looked a little beat. Looked down the barrel and it appears that a piece of the case tried to make its way through the rifling. I am 100 percent positive that this wasnt an obstructed barrel (squib) then fresh round situation I saw the shot hit the paper before the kaboom. Im guessing a double charge? This was remanufactured ammo from a company. I was wearing safety glasses and am very happy about that.

I am not the 1st owner, by the previous owners account there may be up to 2 others in the chain of ownership. The ammo company wants documentation for the gun, I contacted Brazos they confirmed that the gun was theres and it was sold in 2010 but thats all they will say which I get, although Ididnt need the attitude I got from the person.

Anyone ever have an issue with factory ammo like this? How does it work out?

SideChamber_Redacted-M.jpg

Side_Redacted-M.jpg

MagazineFront-M.jpg

Glasses-M.jpg

InChamberAngle_Redacted-M.jpg

DownChamber_Redacted-M.jpg

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i suspect double charge. if you are lucky it might just require a new barrel.

Slide is bent under the cut-out, so i'm thinking slide too. Not sure if any other internals are damaged cant get the gun apart in its current condition.

Think metal fatigue?

Nah. That is ammo related for sure. You said you had fired 600 without issue. The lesson here is that it only takes one bad round to do a number on a gun. About the only remanufactured ammo I would use, other than my own, would be Atlanta Arms. I won a box of another brand at a match once and half the box didn't even have the bell removed!

If the company that produced the ammunition is as they should be, they will have you send the gun to them and they should repair/replace it, along with any remaining ammunition from that production lot. That includes anyth8ng else damaged, such as the magazine and glasses.

I'm not certain what "documentation" the ammo company is seeking with respect to the gun. They have the evidence of the gun, and remaining ammunition to test. What else is needed? Brazos can give them the cost to repair/replace either directly or via letter to you.

Glad you weren't hurt, though most pistol blow-ups do not result in serious injury - mostly minor hand injuries.

Keep us posted on progress with the ammo company taking care of things.

Guy

Ya they should feel LUCKY that all they have to pay to fix the gun and not you. I hope it was At least an ammo company you bought from hopefully and not just a gun shops reloads they sell for the range or bubbys gun show reloads sold in a ziplock bag.

So until I get some sort of resolution I dont want to post the ammo mfr name. There is also the possibility that it was just metal fatigue. I am ay least the 3rd owner of the gun so no clue how it was treated before me. So far I got a quote from STI for and the ammo company told me to send it to them. They also sent a prepaid label to ship that lot back.

Thats my guess as well.

I'm a bit puzzled how ammo from a mid to large sized mfr can get double-charged, isn't there some sort of controls to prevent that? They list the "Ammo Load Mark X" as there pistol press and it has station function: "Powder Check: A switch stops the machine in the event of an over or under charge. This serves as a check on the accuracy of the powder load and can be adjusted for different powder charges."

Someone just have a "bad day" at the machine?

That was probably caused by bullet setback caused either by mechanical forces or jacket/case material ring left in the barrel throat.

I guess i'm not able to visualize what you mean, something prevented the bullet from fully seating into the chamber and in essence it fired too soon so the chamber could not support the case?

That was probably caused by bullet setback caused either by mechanical forces or jacket/case material ring left in the barrel throat.

I guess i'm not able to visualize what you mean, something prevented the bullet from fully seating into the chamber and in essence it fired too soon so the chamber could not support the case?

Bullet setback means the bullet somehow got pushed much deeper into the case. This in turn drastically reduces case volume which results in ultra high pressures. Not that this happened in your case but if it did it is still probably an ammo fault. just one round of ammo that is not sized correctly, overcrimped, etc could allow a bullet to push into the case quite easily.