Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which semi auto shotgun are you running for 3-gun

Jesse Tischauser

It's time to stir the pot and maybe start an argument! Do tell, what issues does the VM have?

I hope Taran doesn't bite on this one. but most of what you want to know is documented within this forum.

But I will give you two

Hammers replaced with Benelli parts.

Bolt cam pin replaced with Benelli part.

This is not an indictment of the VM as it has lots of positive virtues, but suffers from a few

less than best quality parts. Overcome that and you have a good lead slinger.

I just hope the Stoeger doesn't suffer this same quality issues. At least if it does it's only a $500 shotgun not a $900 shotgun. So there's room for those Benelli parts in the budget.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jadeslade,

We feel the same way but it is hard to get the new guy on a tight budget to laydown the green to play a game on the weekends.

Until they "we" set "the hook" they have to start somewhere. Again buy once, cry once but that doesn't cut it when you are a local

shooter who just want to play.

I have to hold back when another new guy pops in with the "what cheap (POS) scope should I buy" but I remember being that guy.

That is where value for performance comes in...Names like Stoeger, Glock, S&W come into play instead of Beretta, Benelli and any 2011.

What is is. And I am leaning more and more toward those value guns just to show some solidarity with those new guys.

I will say that what set the hook for me was TXMG running their WWII division a couple of years ago (TXMG was also my 'local major' at the time). I already had a Garand and a basic 1911, so I could play the game for the price of a used Wingmaster, +2 tube, and the belt gear.

I'm still one of those one local match a month and a local major once a year shooters (sounds almost like the Army Reserve when you put it that way). I've got a dedicated (low cost) shotgun (CZ-712) and an M&P Pro, but my AR is still one that I had before I started.

So I'm pretty much exactly the kind of shooter the M3K is meant for. (And if I'd heard about it in late 2012, when I bought my CZ,I might well have gone with the Stoeger.)

Access to cost effective equipment is a key point to growth. 75% of the shooters in our area are social shooters. They are at the match to hang out with other shooters, and destress a bit. They rarely practice and will likely never see 10k shells through a shotty. If they can afford s tricked out M2 then great, but many just need something reliable. Reliable doesn't have to have a high price tag. I actually really like the M3000 ergos, weight and balance. I also like the older M1S90 and the SBE2. Options are gooder than not and Benelli does a good job of providing lots of options. Something for everyone.

Edited by co-exprs

Another option is to shoot USCA two gun matches to see if you like multi gun matches.

Nomex engaged.

I've been seeing more of those locally lately.

I sort of, kind of 'get it' - less investment, most people have at least a rifle and pistol of some kind...I'm probably going to shoot one next month, but prefer a 'real' 3 gun match, myself.

Having said that, it's an easier way to get someone starting out to do a match of any kind, so no real issue with them other than I hope they don't crowd out the true 3 gun matches.

Edited by rtp

I worked the mud pit stage at Blue Ridge. I handled 90% of all the shooter's shotguns. The survey above is almost exactly what counted at the match. The only diff was there were less Mossbergs and more Berettas... a few more FNs. Which makes sense, considering most of these shooters were seasoned vets.

I predict that the new Browning A5 (3.5" Stalker) will grow big over the next few years. I have been a long time Benelli fan, but after shooting the A5 at the Tarheel Versa Chal this month in NC, I have found it has too many advantages that long time Benelli owners may not be able to resist.

I predict that the new Browning A5 (3.5" Stalker) will grow big over the next few years. I have been a long time Benelli fan, but after shooting the A5 at the Tarheel Versa Chal this month in NC, I have found it has too many advantages that long time Benelli owners may not be able to resist.

What advantages do you speak of? The auto lad feature is a game changer but the serial number is in the bad spot for the weakhand loader to open up the port very much.

Edited by Jesse Tischauser

It's time to stir the pot and maybe start an argument! Do tell, what issues does the VM have?

I hope Taran doesn't bite on this one. but most of what you want to know is documented within this forum.

But I will give you two

Hammers replaced with Benelli parts.

Bolt cam pin replaced with Benelli part.

This is not an indictment of the VM as it has lots of positive virtues, but suffers from a few

less than best quality parts. Overcome that and you have a good lead slinger.

Right, and we're more familiar with what needs to be fixed right out of the box with a Benelli.

We're getting a competition worthy one in pretty soon, and we're going to tear it apart and see what we can do. Will keep you guys updated!

What advantages do you speak of? The auto lad feature is a game changer but the serial number is in the bad spot for the weakhand loader to open up the port very much.

You just have to machine the left side close to the serial numbers. If you are talking about the 3.5" A5, the port is plenty big for most shooters. My shop has the CNC milling machine all programmed ready to go. The loading port on the 3.5" A5 offers a longer port after opening. It is a different kind of feel when loading. The Benelli is more push/stop and the A5 is more push/follow through (if that makes sense. Poke vs stroke ?). Both are good, just a little different.

Advantages---- compared to most shotguns.

++++ auto load feature HUGE FEATURE, especially in shotgun only match.

+++ low profile forearm GREAT FOR QUAD LOADERS.

+++ under 7 pounds with 10rd Nordic tube. (The official Browning weight is way off! :) ).

++ the tube mouth is pretty close to the bottom of the forearm

++ you can mill past the shell stop quite a ways.

++ shell catch has nice unload feature, great for practicing.

+ rubber coating is nice. (My opinion).

+ POA/poi good (the ones I have seen).

+ 4 round length forearm

+ Brownelli (inertia recoil system) +cleaning vs gas.

Disadvantages----

--recoil stiffer than gas op systems

--Not a proven design with long durability like Benelli.

-- needs trigger work

- shell catch is a little quirky after adding 8-10 rounds. Not a big deal.

post-11850-0-42664400-1416421779_thumb.j

Edited by roxymajor

You just have to machine the left side close to the serial numbers. If you are talking about the 3.5" A5, the port is plenty big for most shooters. My shop has the CNC milling machine all programmed ready to go. The loading port on the 3.5" A5 offers a longer port after opening. It is a different kind of feel when loading. The Benelli is more push/stop and the A5 is more push/follow through (if that makes sense. Poke vs stroke ?). Both are good, just a little different.

Advantages---- compared to most shotguns.

++++ auto load feature HUGE FEATURE, especially in shotgun only match.

+++ low profile forearm GREAT FOR QUAD LOADERS.

+++ under 7 pounds with 10rd Nordic tube. (The official Browning weight is way off! :) ).

++ the tube mouth is pretty close to the bottom of the forearm

++ you can mill past the shell stop quite a ways.

++ shell catch has nice unload feature, great for practicing.

+ rubber coating is nice. (My opinion).

+ POA/poi good (the ones I have seen).

+ 4 round length forearm

+ Brownelli (inertia recoil system) +cleaning vs gas.

Disadvantages----

--recoil stiffer than gas op systems

--Not a proven design with long durability like Benelli.

-- needs trigger work

Great feedback! Are you able to run 1145fps loads with the 3 1/2" version?

Yes. I ran 25 Rem STS 1145fps 1 1/8oz at the range. The weird part was I really didn't notice the difference in recoil between the AA Win 1200 fps 1 1/8oz and the 1145 Rem in the A5. I even mixed them up in the tube. So I took the AA 1200s to the NC match. Ran 100%.

I talked with Greg Jordan at the ProAm. He said his ran 1145s and up. Anything less is rolling the dice.

I had a pic saved from the range day a month ago.... The second pic shows the mill work and Magpul Green Cerakote after milling the receiver.

post-11850-0-30516400-1416430721_thumb.j

post-11850-0-80635100-1416430839_thumb.j

Edited by roxymajor

Yes. I ran 25 Rem STS 1145fps 1 1/8oz at the range. The weird part was I really didn't notice the difference in recoil between the AA Win 1200 fps 1 1/8oz and the 1145 Rem in the A5. I even mixed them up in the tube. So I took the AA 1200s to the NC match. Ran 100%.

I talked with Greg Jordan at the ProAm. He said his ran 1145s and up. Anything less is rolling the dice.

I had a pic saved from the range day a month ago.... The second pic shows the mill work and Magpul Green Cerakote after milling the receiver.

Is the 3 1/2" gun new? I had an A5 for awhile but I think it was only a 3" chambered gun.

I've been seriously conciderin ditching the my Versa Max and getting an M2.

It has never shot point of aim no matter the choke. Both birdshot and slugs are high and right.

Shooting slugs at less than 50 yards with an IDPA target I have to aim low and left completely off the paper to get a center hit.

Birdshot is not quite as bad but it still patterns high right.

I found a 22 inch barrel online and swapped it out for the 26 inch, no change in POI.

I contacted Remington and they said the serial number did not fall in the group or barrels they recalled. I'm hesitant to sent it to Remington since it's been massaged for 3 gun. At this point I'm not sure who to send it to to try and rework it.

I'm using a Carbon Arms Versa Tube as well.

The 22 inch confirmed to me it's not the barrel. It has to be the receiver.

With the money I've dropped so far I could have had an M2 prepped for 3 gun.

Highly dissappointed.

I've been seriously conciderin ditching the my Versa Max and getting an M2.

It has never shot point of aim no matter the choke. Both birdshot and slugs are high and right.

Shooting slugs at less than 50 yards with an IDPA target I have to aim low and left completely off the paper to get a center hit.

Birdshot is not quite as bad but it still patterns high right.

I found a 22 inch barrel online and swapped it out for the 26 inch, no change in POI.

I contacted Remington and they said the serial number did not fall in the group or barrels they recalled. I'm hesitant to sent it to Remington since it's been massaged for 3 gun. At this point I'm not sure who to send it to to try and rework it.

I'm using a Carbon Arms Versa Tube as well.

The 22 inch confirmed to me it's not the barrel. It has to be the receiver.

With the money I've dropped so far I could have had an M2 prepped for 3 gun.

Highly dissappointed.

I bought a Benelli M1Super90 from a guy who sold me a Frankenstein gun. It looked good, but was put together from different models and stuff and he really didn't know what he was doing. Neither did I. It never ran well and after about 6 months of fu**ing with it, I sold it (traded it for other stuff), bought an M1 Super 90 from a customs agent and things went way better. Cost me a lot in time and money, but I have become the Forest Gump of Benelli gunsmiths now. Knowledge isn't cheap. If you play poker-you know don't throw good money after bad. Get rid of that gun. A hunter might want it, a gunsmith who specializes in them might trade it for something. Or just stick it in the closet. Get the M2 from Taran. (or one the other guys who do them) You can try futzing around with one of the $500 guns, but really, if your frustration level is high, you need something that will work and you need a guy that you can call and talk to when you have questions. Get the M2.

• 2 months later...

Not going to promise anything because we need to put the weapon through a torture test to feel the improvements and see if they'll last and be competitive, but we've begun progress on a Versamax upgrade package and we're happy with the performance so far. Will provide updates later!

Any further updates ?

• 1 month later...

Rem 1100. the dave's metal works lifter is forceing me to switch to dual or quad loading. but with a nordic +9 and a few updated and oversized parts I still dont have $500 into the $250 used gun. Rus near flawless and does everything I ask it to. Versamax will be next though

My first year was spent with a JM Pro. It did well, really can't complain as I never had any issues. After the first year I wanted to move into what I considered a better gun so I went with a Versamax Comp Tactical.

I, as did some of my friends, had a few minor issues with the dependability at first, now we are running the Versamax and getting good milage out of them. It is important to change the mag tube spring fairly frequently, but other than that they run great with about any load.