Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which semi auto shotgun are you running for 3-gun

Jesse Tischauser

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe a year ago the 930 would have held a larger share. While the people who post on Enos are a small share, the poll results reflect pretty close to what I have seen at matches.

Same here.

I see two types of shooters running the 930 right now:

1) The beginner who either found one new or had one already as a relatively low cost and already "set up" (JM model for instance) to try the sport

2) The dabler...the guy who likes 3-Gun but doesn't have the commitment, desire, or possibly funds to push it beyond having fun several weekends per year at club matches.

The M2 and Versamax seem to reign supreme at the matches I've attended all year, and both seem to have their plusses.

I'm very surprised so many more are running Versamaxs than 930s. I didn't see that coming at all.

Flavor of the month effect, IMO - everyone's looking for a 'cheap Benelli' competitor.

Mossberg didn't do itself any favors with quality issues (resolved now or not), and the VersaMax came out as an 'intermediate'/slightly lower cost vs a Benelli.

Doesn't mean none of the guns ran (still running), but people also tend to get gear upgrade-itis now and then, as well.

Now of course, we're seeing VMs needing replacement parts..from Benelli. Good guns, but nothing's perfect, will be interesting to see where things are in another year or two.

Note the lack of FN SLPs in the above, as well.

RE: someone saying people shooting 930s aren't 'serious,' whatever that means...we've got a good group of 930s (and VMs, handful of Benellis) running locally, with a fair number of them shooting 1-2 matches each and every weekend, and shooting year round, so - not sure if that's 'serious' enough for you? ;) If it runs/while it runs, why not use it? Not everyone has had chronic issues with theirs.

I don't see the CZ represented very well in this poll (cheaper 'low cost flavor of the month/year'), so am curious to see what happens if we do this as a yearly poll. I might let upgrade-itis move me to an M2 by then, especially if I came across a nice used copy, may be shooting the 930 still, or give a Stoeger a try..

Edited by rtp

My comment about getting serious about it comes into reliability. I started with a JM930 and was happy and fine until about 3500ish rounds and it cost me a kit of places at Fallen Brethren in 2012. When I decided to hit practice harder and more matches, I bought my M2 and it hasn't disappointed me. For the guy shooting clubs matches and not practicing much, almost any gun will work. If you're shooting and practicing every weekend and shooting 10-15 major matches per year, I'd want to spend the extra money on a reliable platform.

• 2 weeks later...

LOL, your right I was being funny... And I missed it on the list. I was serious about Limited Division though. I won HOA at the local 3 gun match a couple weeks ago, running my S Nova in limited. I'm pretty sure both of the hot rod Open guys had major equipment issues,... But I'll still take the win.

My opinion and that is all it is, but I think we'll see a crapload more S3Ks out there as they become more widely known. 1/2 the price of the Benelli and they tun. I can have two guns set up for the price of one or a boatful of ammo for practice. To date I have had exactly two Failures to feed, they could have been me, they might have been Fiocchi Low recoil Slug issues. I can tell you this, a buddy has a 1301 that is supposed to run light stuff and an inertia gun isn't, but my S3K runs WallyWorld Winchester 3dr 1-1/8 #7-1/2 and 8 an the 1301 chokes on it.

My opinion and that is all it is, but I think we'll see a crapload more S3Ks out there as they become more widely known. 1/2 the price of the Benelli and they tun. I can have two guns set up for the price of one or a boatful of ammo for practice. To date I have had exactly two Failures to feed, they could have been me, they might have been Fiocchi Low recoil Slug issues. I can tell you this, a buddy has a 1301 that is supposed to run light stuff and an inertia gun isn't, but my S3K runs WallyWorld Winchester 3dr 1-1/8 #7-1/2 and 8 an the 1301 chokes on it.

I might be piloting a M3K and a P350 in 2015. Good guns at a friendly price.

Any chance your buddies 1301 has a really long mag tube on it? Just curious as to what the difference between his and mine would be, I've got about 2000 rounds through mine without a single hiccup. Half of that is split between wally world winchester and even worse yet, the tulammo suprema (gasp!) junk they now sell.

I ran a Franchi Affinity for 2 years with no problems; that includes 2 Ironmans, 2 Texas Multiguns, and 1 RM3G.

Next year I'm running a 1301...it will actually shoot shells lighter than 1200fps reliably. LOL.

Powderman81

Indeed it will, the other 1000 rounds of my shotgun's diet had been rem gun club and federal pink hulled target loads, both at 1145 fps.

The P350 is Stoeger's pump gun. Uses the same basic action as the Benelli, without all the polymer. It uses the same twist bolt as the Nova, but has the S3000 shell catch. Has a nicely shaped lifter and the safety is in the right spot too. I might be picking one up soon to mess with also. We'll see if the budget allows another project gun over the winter. The only draw backs I can see with the P350 is that the lifter doesn't stay depressed during loading. Don't know if it will matter, but I did notice.

I

I ran a Franchi Affinity for 2 years with no problems; that includes 2 Ironmans, 2 Texas Multiguns, and 1 RM3G.

Next year I'm running a 1301...it will actually shoot shells lighter than 1200fps reliably. LOL.

Powderman81

I just bought an Affinity. Funny ive never heard anyone say "I never could have won that match if it wasn't for those 1145fps shells." Edited by Jesse Tischauser

I

Powderman81

I just bought an Affinity. Funny ive never heard anyone say "I neverceoukd have won that match if it wasn't for those 1145fps shells."

It never was an issue until I loaded up 350+ shells for Ironman this year. I chrono'd them at 1215fps and put 3 shells in the gun to check for function. It turns out it makes a difference with inertia ran autoloaders when there is 10 shells in the gun vs 3. I had to shoot and then hand cycle every other shell through the first stage. Not the guns fault...it was an oversight on my part. It has never given me any issues when I feed it good food.

SLP would have remained a major player, had FNH made the gun we were all asking for, when we were asking for it. The 24" VR Competition model would have been terrific, but FNH was slow to respond to market demand and other options came along. The SLP is still a good shotgun for the game. It just sorta gets lost in a much broader selection than it used too.