Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.40 Major in CDP

GMB

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I shoot 40 S&W in ESP/SSP. 125 PF in a 180 grain 40 load is stupid soft. It's really the perfect gamer load.

Not to derail the thread...

But how does the 180gr do at 30yrds at that low of a PF? I ask because my 147gr 9mm is already 5-6 inches low at that distance.

I shoot 40 S&W in ESP/SSP. 125 PF in a 180 grain 40 load is stupid soft. It's really the perfect gamer load.

You know what's a gamer load? 44 Special in SSR.......240 grainers @ 450 fps. I don't even think cowboy loads go that slow.

• 3 weeks later...

I see both sides of it:

1. You know if you want to be competitive in SSP or ESP, you are going to want to shoot soft 9mm reloads or at least 9mm factory. You will have to make that .40 really soft to keep competitive.

2. If .40 major was allowed in CDP, both .40 and .45 guys would be equal in competition. It would even the spectrum out a little.

• 3 weeks later...

Because IDPA is about real-world self-defense, and no one in the real world uses .40. Not federal LE, not local LE, not ccw-holders.

meow.

No, its easier than that. USPSA power floors are caliber based, not division based like IDPA. So when I shot alot of IDPA I would run my G21(at 8+1) in CDP as major, 230grs going 780fps and minor in SSP, 230 grs going 580fps. So because USPSA runs 40 cal minimum as major in Single Stack, Limited, and Limited 10 it will never be allowed in IDPA. I have found that every rule in IDPA is the opposite or different from USPSA. After all the game was invented by one of the greatest IPSC shooters of all time, BIll Wilson. Read the article in the Front Sight archives, March/April 2006.

www.uspsa.org/frontsight_archive/a/2006-03.pdf

Edited by 9x45

You know what's a gamer load? 44 Special in SSR.......240 grainers @ 450 fps. I don't even think cowboy loads go that slow.

SASS rules for minimum velocity is 400 fps. But the cowboys are the only ones with maximum velocities....

Seventeenth Edition

January 2011

minimum power factor of 60 and no velocity may be less than

400 fps. The maximum velocity standard for revolvers is 1000 fps. The maximum velocity

standard for rifles is 1400 fps. Pocket pistols, derringers, and long-range rifles are exempt

from the power factor and velocity requirements.

If you are focusing on finding a gun/load with the absolute softest recoil you are searching for the wrong thing. What you should be looking for is a combination that gives you are reasonable amount of felt recoil/muzzle flipping but cycles very fast. It doesn't matter if you are waiting for the muzzle to come back down or for the slide to close, you are still waiting for the gun to settle. Try thinking in terms of the shortest recoil event in terms of time. The faster your gun settles after firing a shot the sooner you can see what you need to see to fire the next shot.

Time is important is a sport where success is measured by time.

UCO, if IDPA allowed .40 major in CDP they would be ahead of those using .45 major because of mag. capacity! They can't limit the number of rounds loaded in .40 major because that goes against their rules! I'm shooting .40 minor in IDPA SSP and USPSA Production and love it! It's easier for these old eyes to see the .40 cal. holes! I still use .45 for CDP, SS, Limited and L10 for the same reason. Not gunna win anyway but after 30+ years am still having fun!

Richard

There isn't anything prohibiting a shooter from using a .40 in IDPA. Plenty of room in SSP and ESP for it.

From what I've seen from a civilian standpoint, most LE use .40 in Tupperware guns, that would play in ESP and SSP and reserve the 1911 for .45, CDP.

Why they don't allow other calibers into CDP is probably only something Bill himself could answer. .40 is still welcome in IDPA, just not in CDP.

Edited by v1911

Those 'Tupperware' .45 ACPs do just fine in CDP. Does Bill make 1911s in .40 S&W? I don't know. But, if he (or Nighthawk) don't, then I can understand why a .40 at 8+1 and a 165 PF is verboten in CDP :surprise:

Their rules are set up so that you have to load mags to legal limit. Unless you have a factory mag that was 8 rounds you would have to load all .40 mags to 9 or 10 + 1 and that would be against CDP rules. If some full size ss .40 came out with 8 round mags they might consider it but I doubt if they would change anything. They could also rewrite the rules but they will never do that just like they will never change rules to make sense. Also, you have to remember that IDPA was conceived and started by many of the same individuals who conceived and started USPSA. Back when USPSA came into being .45 was king and everything else was an afterthought. They reluctantly accepted 9mm in the Hi Power after a while and then other cals. and pistols as they became available. IDPA has not and probably will not accept the .40 as equal to the .45.

FWIW

Richard

Those 'Tupperware' .45 ACPs do just fine in CDP. Does Bill make 1911s in .40 S&W? I don't know. But, if he (or Nighthawk) don't, then I can understand why a .40 at 8+1 and a 165 PF is verboten in CDP :surprise:

Sure he does. One of many: http://wilsoncombat.com/new/handgun-classic.asp#.VHvRCMk_cYg

(Buy it for me, Chris???)

Their rules are set up so that you have to load mags to legal limit. Unless you have a factory mag that was 8 rounds you would have to load all .40 mags to 9 or 10 + 1 and that would be against CDP rules. [...snip]

Richard

Nope.

You have to load mags to either the gun's capacity or the division capacity, whichever is less.

Ernie Langdon won CDP at Nationals some years back with a SIG (loading to legal CDP capacity).

Their rules are set up so that you have to load mags to legal limit. Unless you have a factory mag that was 8 rounds you would have to load all .40 mags to 9 or 10 + 1 and that would be against CDP rules. If some full size ss .40 came out with 8 round mags they might consider it but I doubt if they would change anything. They could also rewrite the rules but they will never do that just like they will never change rules to make sense. Also, you have to remember that IDPA was conceived and started by many of the same individuals who conceived and started USPSA. Back when USPSA came into being .45 was king and everything else was an afterthought. They reluctantly accepted 9mm in the Hi Power after a while and then other cals. and pistols as they became available. IDPA has not and probably will not accept the .40 as equal to the .45.

FWIW

Richard

Uhhh, fail. Please read the rule book. CDP: 8 in the mag max, regardless of how many cartridges actually fit in it.

FWIW

Richard

Uhhh, fail. Please read the rule book. CDP: 8 in the mag max, regardless of how many cartridges actually fit in it.

I thought all 3 mags must be capable of "holding" the same amount of rounds, ie. one only holds 7, all must me loaded to seven in cpd.

This would take out the gaming guys that have attempted in going to slide lock prematurely when round dumping was illegal.

example---First mag 8+1 for that array with the popper, then 7+1 for next four targets etc

Same thing for 40 or 38super in ESP when guys ran 1911's. Not all mags are 10+1

Edited by cnote