Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tripp 9mm 1911 Magazines not staying in adjustment

ktm300

I have 10 Tripp 10 round 9mm 1911 mags.

I can get them to work well but only for a match or two then I have to work on them again. Most of the time it is getting the feed lips back to the correct dimension but I have followers pop out the top and other issues.

Anybody else have this kind of trouble?

I have 10 Tripp 10 round 9mm 1911 mags.

I can get them to work well but only for a match or two then I have to work on them again. Most of the time it is getting the feed lips back to the correct dimension but I have followers pop out the top and other issues.

Anybody else have this kind of trouble?

Not exactly the same issue but on some well used mags I started having feed issues after an energetic slide lock reload that did not happen at a more sedate energy level. It seems the feedlips spread enough that when slamed in the brass would wedge itself just enfough to hang up the slide. I used a wire brush to clean the edges and a vice to a bring the feed lips back in. Haven't tested them yet but when new theses mags were flawless in this gun so... I'm hopeful at this point.

The plan was to measure them all to make sure the tubes and followers were in spec. I did that before GA State. I tested all the mags I took at my practice range to make sure they all worked. My tests were pretty thourogh. Every mag was loaded to capacity and run to 1 round then dropped. All were run empty then dropped. The I did about an hour of load 2 in each mag and did a bunch of reload practice. No issues at all. By the 4th stage I started having issues.

I had 3 magazine malfunctions in the match. One random lock back of the slide, one that hung in the gun on a reload, and one that just would not feed.

I ordered new guts (springs and followers) and I will try again.

I also ordered 8 Wilson's as a backup plan.

I only have a couple more weeks until I go shoot at the World shoot. Kind of like to have a set of mags that work (;-))

A friend just sent me a couple of Dawsons and I will test them as soon as they get here. If they work I will have a bunch of Tripps for sale with $80 worth of new followers and springs.

The Wilsons worked well, they are just too hard to take apart and clean. How hard is it to clean the Dawsons

I use Wilson magazines in my Trojan 9mm had to remove two coils from the bases of the magazine spring to get them to run in my gun as well as throating

the chamber. I would try one coil at a time before cutting two. Running a 10 pound recoil spring and a 15 pound main spring.

With the slide off insert a magazine with pressure up on the magazine. Check that the magazine doesn't hit the ejector.

Also have a Spartan in 9mm it doesn't like Wilson magazines but runs great on Metal Form.

Feeding is not my much of my issue. Dropping out of the gun is my issue. Once I started checking them more I would just put the feed lips back in adjustment and all was almost good. I would still have 1 or 2 a match. It did not happen enough for me to catch it in practice. Then get to a match and have to yank out a mag. Finally I got it to happen in practice and stopped to see what was going on. The tab that engages the slide stop was working its way out of adjustment and at some point would just pop over the top of the slide stop. I just fixed that, I cut off the tab on the followers.

For USPSA I don't want the slide to lock back anyway so that will work.

Next is going to be trying to get a slide stop and set of mags to shoot pro-am with. I want it to lock back so back to work. For now I think I am good to go but only time will tell.

You don't want over insertion.

Over insertion might knock the ejector off, slide won't go forward in some instances, mag will be hard to remove, etc, etc.

Pretty much. I seat mags pretty hard, I have shoved them in too far. In a USPSA match round count is part of the plan and I don't shoot it empty very often at all.

Pro-Am all steel matches are a bit different and lockback may be nice if I can make it 100%

Are you sure the top round is not sliding forward in the magazine and not allowing the mag to drop free? Had that problem where the bullet would be just far enough forward for the mag to not drop.

Tried cutting coils to reduce the pressure on the rounds in the mag as the slide moves forward loading the round into the chamber. Hopefully when the round slides out of the magazine into the chamber it is not pulling the next round just far enough forward that it keeps the mag from dropping free.

Difficult situation to resolve.

• 3 weeks later...

You don't want over insertion.

Over insertion might knock the ejector off, slide won't go forward in some instances, mag will be hard to remove, etc, etc.

This is why I had to ditch the Wilson ETM mags. They're designed to ride higher. They will only clear a few brands of 9mm ejectors... not mine (kimber).

I am using Dawson mags in my 1911 STI. No problems so far but I am a new boy for IPSC. Reading this forum is like reading medical stuff, you wonder if you are going to get the same afflictions. Scarry, there's lots of possibily problems.