Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Advice on bullets

ghost21

Just wanting to get others opinions on 2 different bullets

Which would be the better bullet?

Hornady 147gr FMJ-RN $69 and change (500)

or

Montana Gold 147gr CMJ $101 and change (500)

I will be loading powder-puff loads with these for GSSF

Shooting out of a G35 with a lone wolf 9-40 conversion barrel!

Thanks for the opinions

Jeff

Edited by ghost21

the montana golds are good bullets, but spendy. Ive never shot GSSF, but I don't remember the accuracy requirement being that high. I would go with whatever is cheaper. either one should make a nice soft load. i used N320 for mine.

Midway has hornady 147 on sale by the way. good luck.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1165273691/hornady-bullets-9mm-355-diameter-147-grain-full-metal-jacket-round-nose

Xtreme 147 9mm RN. They shoot as accurately as any bullet I have run through my M&Ps and CZs. I just bought 1500 of them for $119 delivered to my front door. That wasn't a special promotional price. They also make 124 grain bullets.,.. and their 147 grain .357 bullet is my first choice for SSR .38 Spl and for .38 LC in ICORE.

You don't have to spend big bucks to get decent bullets. Take a look at Xtreme.

or

Thanks for the opinions

Jeff

That seems awfully expensive for MG. I'd go with the Bayou suggestion before paying that much for jacketed.

BTW, with the aftermarket conversion barrel, I hope you're intention is to shoot in Unlimited. That's the only GSSF division in which aftermarket barrels are permitted.

I'd be amazed if anyone buys MGs in < case prices, and the price for 500 of them almost proves it, as in, 'we'll sell it to you, but it'll be double price or more.'

Buy MGs by the case, and you're at the 9-12c/each range, depending on bullet weight.

I haven't yet shot a GSSF match, but doubt it to be significantly different than the matches I've shot in to date, meaning - it's unlikely to be a bullseye competition. Knowing that, I like and do shoot 124gr MG JHPs, but also Xtremes and various Hi-Tek coated bullets (e.g. Bayou), at a pretty decent cost savings vs MGs (even at MG case prices).

A case of 147 MG 147gr CMJs runs 12.1c each

A case of Bayou 147grs runs 7.7c/each shipped.

500 Xtreme 147gr RNs runs ~8.7c each +/- depending on any sales, free shipping, etc.

A case of SNS 147gr runs 7.8c each shipped, and a case of BBI 147gr run 7.5c each shipped.

While to date, MGs have been the most accurate I've loaded, I'd have no issues running any of the above (and do, for matches). YMMV, as always.

GSSF is probably more like Bullseye than most other pistol competitions.

There's no movement.

There's no reloading on the clock.

Targets are a mix of cardboard (NRA D1) and steel, some as close as 5yds, some as far as 25yds.

Score is time + inaccuracy penalties that increase with decreasing accuracy.

I've used MG 147s (and their 124CMJ and 124JHP), and they're all fine for GSSF...but Bayou would work just as well for less $.

or

Thanks for the opinions

Jeff

That seems awfully expensive for MG. I'd go with the Bayou suggestion before paying that much for jacketed.

BTW, with the aftermarket conversion barrel, I hope you're intention is to shoot in Unlimited. That's the only GSSF division in which aftermarket barrels are permitted.

That's the division I shot when I stopped shooting when I got married!

Set up will be G35 9-40 conversion barrel

Carver c-more low ride mount

147s over 3.6 N340 (not chronoed yet)

Edited by ghost21

Be cognizant that depending on the conversion barrel, you might have to shorten the oal of your reload or have the barrel rechambered. I might have to do this once I totally run out of plated for my conversion barrel -lone wolf.

Be cognizant that depending on the conversion barrel, you might have to shorten the oal of your reload or have the barrel rechambered. I might have to do this once I totally run out of plated for my conversion barrel -lone wolf.

I have already use the 147s un coated ,And I load them out to, 1.140, they just fit in the mag without hanging up ,So far the ones I've loaded ,I haven't had a problem with. That's not saying that the ones I have coming with the Hi-Tek coating want be a little different, But I will see when they come!

Jeff

Edited by ghost21

My, what has happened to MG prices? Do they think they are Sierra or Nosler?

Accuracy above all else? JHPs from Zero or Montana Gold

Want jacketed and not cheap plated? The Hornady price at MidwayUSA looks very good--buy in bulk and be happy.

Want to to use for action pistol where you will shooting a lot and accuracy is secondary/teriary? X-treme.

Personally, I am quite happy with cast lead and coated lead.

Love the MG's -- I have used them in 9, 357, 44 & 45.

Now switching to the Blue Bullets (coated lead) - cheaper, lighter charges and just as accurate. Only downside I have come across is that won't work in my bullet feeder dies (diameter for lead bullets) unless I modify the dies.

I've had great luck with Montana Gold bullets.

Currently using them for 9mm/10mm/.45 and have had excellent results in all calibers.

Montana Gold 124gr CMJ's are only a penny more per bullet when purchased in bulk, compared to some of the plated options available. Think I'm paying about $.09 per bullet for 9mm.

~g

I've had great luck with Montana Gold bullets.

Currently using them for 9mm/10mm/.45 and have had excellent results in all calibers.

Montana Gold 124gr CMJ's are only a penny more per bullet when purchased in bulk, compared to some of the plated options available. Think I'm paying about $.09 per bullet for 9mm.

~g

I'm going the cast bullet route! I would love to use only Montana Gold ,But with the wife outta work and money tight, Got to save where I can! Besides, Montana does think they are selling gold,Hell I could get a lot of cast bullets for what they want for a case of 124s or 147s!

I've shot up massive quantities of Precision Bullets 125-FP coated bullets in my XDM with great success. They cost about 6.4 cents each. They were recommended by the best shooter I know, so that was good enough for me.

http://www.precisionbullets.com/

I had to make them a little shorter than most books call for due to the flat sides. Just make sure you plunk test in your barrel as you're getting started. Maybe everyone does this, but I had to figure it out the hard way. :)

I also like the Bayou Bullets.

I've only been reloading for about 10 months now and these are the only ones I've tried. I'm totally addicted and love to shoot a lot, so price is very important. I go though about 500/week. Do the math. What they say about reloading is certainly true with me. It really doesn't save money, it just allows you to shoot more. I like it....

Food for thought. I set up my .40 tool head last night. I used Berry's 180gr plated FP bullets. I had a terrible time getting a consistent length. I measured 15 of the Berry's bullets and the length range varied by .012. I then measured 15 MG 180gr and the length variance was .002.

Price is price! And we all like the kind od bullet we like. I'm going the cast/coated bullet route cause that's the cheapest for me!

If I really had the money to spare and price was no object and IF they could be found. I would be shooting my favorite bullet of all Remington 147gr match FP . That's the bullet I use to reach master in GSSF and the only bullet I have found that is very consistent in both weight, diameter, and length. They were very accurate out of my G34, As far as jacketed bullet go, None are no better than the Rem 147 match! IMO

Edited by ghost21

Food for thought. I set up my .40 tool head last night. I used Berry's 180gr plated FP bullets. I had a terrible time getting a consistent length. I measured 15 of the Berry's bullets and the length range varied by .012. I then measured 15 MG 180gr and the length variance was .002.

I've never been sure why people held Berry's (or Ranier) in overly high regard.

I haven't shot tons of them, but I'll take any of the quality Hi Tek coated bullets over either of them, for performance as well as price.

It would be interesting to see the same comparison but with weight and the variances there, as well.

On a whim, I had weighed out a dozen Hornady 55gr FMJ-BT bulk, and compared to Xtreme 55gr FMJ-BT. They were both pretty close, but surprisingly the Xtremes from the sample I took, were slightly closer overall to each other. I wouldn't use that 'test' alone to make my buying decision, but if I found a bullet with closer tolerances in weight and OAL, I'd probably be considering giving them a try.

Of course, Xtreme seems to be randomly changing their prices lately - they had settled previously on some pretty attractive pricing, but now they're back up again...at which point, their 55gr FMJ-BTs are basically the same price as Hornady bulk at ~8.6c/each, but they charge shipping, so short of a sale, I'll just stick to Hornady bulk, but it's still not bad for someone buying in smaller quantities (or when a sale pops up). I'll probably continue to pick up some of their 55gr FMJBTs when they run occasional sales, but focus on buying Hornady bulk cases for the most part.

Likewise, when the Xtreme 124gr RNs had dropped to ~$36/500 (not long ago), they were competitive 'enough' with Hi Tek coated prices that I'd consolidating on using them, but at current prices and no free shipping (they do have $5 flat rate at the moment, so not too bad on shipping if buying case quantities), they're running 8.2c/each (buying 3k, $5 flat rate ship currently) to 8.5c/each (buying 500-1k), at which point, I'm back to the Hi Teks.