Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rock Island Hi Cap pistols

fp45liberator

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally took it home. I want a smoother edge ambi safety and extended mag release already for my tiny hands.

I also want to sand off the paint on the rails and even up the "flat polished" section if the barrel but haven't figured out how to yet.

Having some mag issues I need to work out but so far I cant wait to shoot this thing.30f0a067300207b9117b044b4c4c4768.jpg12fad14aadf6ef0f4c55a4642381e602.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

On 4/20/2020 at 11:56 PM, chomorro said:

Finally took it home. I want a smoother edge ambi safety and extended mag release already for my tiny hands.

I also want to sand off the paint on the rails and even up the "flat polished" section if the barrel but haven't figured out how to yet.

Having some mag issues I need to work out but so far I cant wait to shoot this thing.30f0a067300207b9117b044b4c4c4768.jpg12fad14aadf6ef0f4c55a4642381e602.jpg

Very nice.  I ordered the pro-ultra in .40 and it should be here later this week!  I'm already planning on a barrel swap to 9mm, trigger job, and smoothing everything out.  poor (cheap) man's 2011.  Nothing like throwing $1,000 in parts at an $800 pistol!

Very nice.  I ordered the pro-ultra in .40 and it should be here later this week!  I'm already planning on a barrel swap to 9mm, trigger job, and smoothing everything out.  poor (cheap) man's 2011.  Nothing like throwing $1,000 in parts at an $800 pistol!
I had to pay much more since I'm not in a free state but still way cheaper then my shadow 2 lol.

Are you going to sand the paint off the internal rails? I was thinking of doing that but not sure if its recommended.

22 hours ago, chomorro said:

I had to pay much more since I'm not in a free state but still way cheaper then my shadow 2 lol.

Are you going to sand the paint off the internal rails? I was thinking of doing that but not sure if its recommended.

I won't sand anything.  Depending on how tight the fit is I may send it off for accurails, but I'll most likely just run it as is.  Once all the work is don't I'll either get it cerakoted with the low-friction cerakote, or I'll get it NP3+ coated.  Probably cerakote just for cost differences.  Hoping mine shows up in a few days.

Quick recap: 

Pro-match ultra showed up yesterday.  First impressions:

-Barrel lockup is lacking.  I already had my name on a waiting list for a KKM hybrid barrel, so no problem, but surprised how loose it was

-Slide to frame fit was loose.  Since this is primarily a 3-gun pistol I'll manage, but I'm thinking of accurails or peening. Thoughts? 

-My big hands don't work with ambidextrous safeties.  Thinking about a DAA shielded safety on the proper side only.  

-Holy heavy trigger pull!  It's probably 6, but feels like 10.  Lots of takeup, though not much grit.  I am planning going with an Extreme Engineering Warp speed kit, and a Dlask trigger.  Probably swap the mainspring and housing while I'm in there also.  

-The rear of the magwell is sharp!  Big hands don't help, but I feel like a decent training session would leave a blister or broken skin where the meat of my hand hits the rear of the magwell.  Thinking of a Hayes, Taylor Freelance or maybe a Cheely.  I really like the Cheely bighands magwell, but I'm not sure if it'll fit without significant modification.  Anyone know?

-Sights are nice.  Adjustable LPA are nice touches.  

-Pinned grip safety.  That's going to happen!

Thoughts on any of the above?  Looking for feedback before I start work.

I wouldn't mess with slide to frame, mine was pretty loose before I ceramic coated it then had to lap it in. Accuracy was fine with it loose, and it ran great(still does). Atlas makes a nice high grip shielded single side safety, might work good with big hands. They also carry the X-line Vario triggers, I just put one in mine and fitting was easy, and adjustable in every way. I ground the he'll out of the stock magwell for my fat palm to feel comfortable, it worked for a while, just got the Hayes which needed some love to fit smooth and some grip tape cuz it is slick and wasn't helping my grip, feels great in my hand though. I had some light strikes when I tried a lighter main spring and that was before I had a Dawson extended FP, so watch for that.

Edited by Talon75

11 hours ago, Talon75 said:

I wouldn't mess with slide to frame, mine was pretty loose before I ceramic coated it then had to lap it in. Accuracy was fine with it loose, and it ran great(still does). Atlas makes a nice high grip shielded single side safety, might work good with big hands. They also carry the X-line Vario triggers, I just put one in mine and fitting was easy, and adjustable in every way. I ground the he'll out of the stock magwell for my fat palm to feel comfortable, it worked for a while, just got the Hayes which needed some love to fit smooth and some grip tape cuz it is slick and wasn't helping my grip, feels great in my hand though. I had some light strikes when I tried a lighter main spring and that was before I had a Dawson extended FP, so watch for that.

Tracking all.  I like the atlas products.  I was already looking at the Hayes magwell.  I've got the "tailbone" frame, so I think that's pretty much my only choice.  

I'll grab an extended FP just to play it safe. 

Guys quick question. running a TF fattie magwell. My Greg Cote mag/dawsons combination fits fine. I have a set of megars mags that are a little shorter than my greg cote mags. wont go into the taylor freelance magwell with the dawson pads on them. if i get the TF pads and put them on the megars, will they insert fine?

What safety fits this thing that is little wider and smoother? Is it just a normal Wilson Combat ambi safety? Or a particular model needed?

Took this bad boy out to the range today and had a few failures to load but other then that it ran like a top. My friends wanted to buy it from me lol.

9 hours ago, chomorro said:

What safety fits this thing that is little wider and smoother? Is it just a normal Wilson Combat ambi safety? Or a particular model needed?

Took this bad boy out to the range today and had a few failures to load but other then that it ran like a top. My friends wanted to buy it from me lol.

I just ordered a Limcat single side, I'll let you know on fit once it's all finished and installed. Pretty sure they take standard 1911 thumb safety, but have yet to confirm myself...

I just ordered a Limcat single side, I'll let you know on fit once it's all finished and installed. Pretty sure they take standard 1911 thumb safety, but have yet to confirm myself...
I'm looking at the standard wilson combat ambi for around $60. I think that's what others are using on this thread but they have much more expensive models as well.

I'm also have trouble fitting these mags in my adjustable double stack holsters. I can fit anything else in ther no problem but these seem to be extra wide. Hopefully I dont need holsters too.

Kind of irritated. Read this whole thread watched the videos and searched as much as possible and made the purchase on the dawson posilock mag release drilled and tapped. Even stated in the reviews it fit their rock islands from some purchasers.

Went to install it and this will not fit........ did I purchase the wrong one? I got the sti version, is it supposed to be the standard version?e29f3253c57654fe2b1bc138fe89083d.jpg

9 hours ago, chomorro said:

Kind of irritated. Read this whole thread watched the videos and searched as much as possible and made the purchase on the dawson posilock mag release drilled and tapped. Even stated in the reviews it fit their rock islands from some purchasers.

Went to install it and this will not fit........ did I purchase the wrong one? I got the sti version, is it supposed to be the standard version?e29f3253c57654fe2b1bc138fe89083d.jpg

When in doubt... contact the manufacturer.  the dawson is designed specifically for the 2011 grips, which are narrower than the RIA grips.  I emailed them before I bought, as it was already in my cart...

I found one aftermarket mag release from (https://www.sladestreettactical.com/1911-fits-para-ordinance-extended-45-button-magazine-release-mag-catch-black/), and Gun Craft used to make one (I couldn't find any in stock), but I opted to send mine to Hayes custom to be drilled and tapped for a button. 

I don't need a lot of extended length, just a bigger surface for my uncoordinated thumbs.  See if they'll take it back on return.  Hayes' prices seemed reasonable to me, and turnaround time was very fast.  YMMV.

When in doubt... contact the manufacturer.  the dawson is designed specifically for the 2011 grips, which are narrower than the RIA grips.  I emailed them before I bought, as it was already in my cart...

I found one aftermarket mag release from (https://www.sladestreettactical.com/1911-fits-para-ordinance-extended-45-button-magazine-release-mag-catch-black/), and Gun Craft used to make one (I couldn't find any in stock), but I opted to send mine to Hayes custom to be drilled and tapped for a button. 

I don't need a lot of extended length, just a bigger surface for my uncoordinated thumbs.  See if they'll take it back on return.  Hayes' prices seemed reasonable to me, and turnaround time was very fast.  YMMV.

I sent them an email to see if they can accept a return. Thanks for the link! I need the button pulled back a little for my small hands lol. I bought a paddle style button to bring it back just like my shadow 2 mag release.

I was thinking of hayes customs as well for a factory release drill and tap but the benefits of the posilock preventing over insertion seemed pretty interesting.

The attached screen shot is from this thread. I wonder what version this person purchased.

1efd9794a28b85a00e4e70723023bbc3.jpg

I might be wrong, but I believe Dawson made a Para-specific version at one point.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

That would explain all the confusion on my part. There are even youtube videos showing it works lol.

Well I will return this one and go a different route if I can. Thanks everyone.

5 hours ago, matteekay said:

I might be wrong, but I believe Dawson made a Para-specific version at one point.

That'd make sense.  They didn't mention making one when I emailed them, so I'm guessing it was discontinued.  with the RIA being gaining popularity, I'd have thought it was a design worth keeping in the inventory.  :::shrug:::

18 hours ago, OnVacation said:

That'd make sense.  They didn't mention making one when I emailed them, so I'm guessing it was discontinued.  with the RIA being gaining popularity, I'd have thought it was a design worth keeping in the inventory.  :::shrug:::

Seems like the ended all the Para stuff about 2 years ago.

I remember buying the toolless extended basepads from them brand new back in 2016/2017, and then when I tried to get more in early 2018 they were discontinued.