Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rock Island Hi Cap pistols

fp45liberator

On 8/25/2018 at 9:13 PM, mdriskell said:

I'm running RP9 (Remington) mags with Taylor Freelance extensions on my RIA. It seems like the follower gets stuck at the bottom of the magazine when filled to 22 round capacity. The basepads came with the Arrendondo inserts (which I thought was to prevent this) but I'm not sure what needs to be corrected to allow 22 rounds. They fit, they don't feed. 20 rounds are perfectly fine (from what I've seen so far). Any others having these issues? 

Might want to check for some flash on the followers, I like the DAA followers I instastalled, I also get 22 reliably with mecgar mags.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am considering a new pistol for next year.  As much as I would like a real 2011 style pistol I'm not sure I can justify the cost.

Is there any must read posts about these guns instead of sitting through all 55 pages?  I am considering one in 9mm most likely to use for USPSA, 3gun and Steel Challenge.

I am considering a new pistol for next year.  As much as I would like a real 2011 style pistol I'm not sure I can justify the cost.

Is there any must read posts about these guns instead of sitting through all 55 pages?  I am considering one in 9mm most likely to use for USPSA, 3gun and Steel Challenge.

I have two STIs and now added a RIA. The big difference I’ve found is that the RIA’s Para frame is more square and feels wider than the STI frames. Might not matter if you have decent sized hands but I have short fingers so I notice it. The gun is also considerably heavier than a plastic framed 2011 which is good and bad.

Mags are a little trickier to sort out for Paras than for STIs but it’s not a huge deal.

All of my 2011’s have needed some degree of tuning (including the mags). It’s just the nature of 2011’s. The big thing with the RIA’s seem to be extractors.

I’ve had three RIA 1911/2011 guns and have been impressed with all of them for the price. Like any other gun on this platform, they can be tuned to have very nice triggers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll look at the followers more closely. I wasn't sure if it was a problem with the insert or with the stock spring or with the stock follower. I've heard of people using grams springs and a different follower but I'm not sure if I should try DAA followers or Arredondo or something else.

• 2 weeks later...

Just installed the DAA followers and springs. Used with the TF basepads, I'm up to 22 rounds (NOT reloadable) or 21 easily reloadable. Getting the 22nd in requires some mechanical assistance at the moment but I'm hoping that will change once the springs wear in a little.

I've also found that it's not too hard to make a salt shaker if I'm sloppy when loading the mags.

What do you mean by sloppy? I've just been running 20 in the mags for the last 2 matches. It isn't ideal but it's been fine.

If I push down on the stack too far to the nose or rear and angle the rounds up, they’ll salt shaker event after they straighten out.

Watch this video, when you get to about 15 rounds you gotta press down with the uplula a few times in between inserting each round, it helps everything nest in a better position.

I’ll check it out as soon as I get home. Thanks!

Does this work for MecGars too? And are you getting 22 reloadable?

Yes, it works for my mecgars I just start doing it earlier before the rounds get to the mag extention, in the video he shows the last 3 or so, I start around the 15th round. Yes on 22 also. Yours should get better, don't worry about down loading them for awhile.

Yes, it works for my mecgars I just start doing it earlier before the rounds get to the mag extention, in the video he shows the last 3 or so, I start around the 15th round. Yes on 22 also. Yours should get better, don't worry about down loading them for awhile.

Nice! Even 22 to start with reloads holding 21 would be a huge improvement over my .45 STI (15/14).

I wish I’d seen this video before. I had MBX’s for that gun and sold them off because I couldn’t get them to feed consistently - I bet this would have helped. What’s weird is MBX didn’t point me to it when I contacted customer support. Ah well.

On 9/8/2018 at 6:25 PM, Talon75 said:

Many, many thanks for all your help! I'm up to 22 (reloadable with a manly slap). Until they wear in all the way I can run 22+1 to start and reload with 21-rounders. That's pretty darn good considering ONE MBX mag would have cost me more than building three MecGars and it only holds two more.

On 8/28/2018 at 6:36 PM, matteekay said:

I have two STIs and now added a RIA. The big difference I’ve found is that the RIA’s Para frame is more square and feels wider than the STI frames. Might not matter if you have decent sized hands but I have short fingers so I notice it. The gun is also considerably heavier than a plastic framed 2011 which is good and bad.

Mags are a little trickier to sort out for Paras than for STIs but it’s not a huge deal.

All of my 2011’s have needed some degree of tuning (including the mags). It’s just the nature of 2011’s. The big thing with the RIA’s seem to be extractors.

I’ve had three RIA 1911/2011 guns and have been impressed with all of them for the price. Like any other gun on this platform, they can be tuned to have very nice triggers.

I have 2 rock island 1911/2011's, for competition they need trigger work and some polishing. Nothing to serious just a few hours with a good metal polish and some fine sandpaper. I found there is a big difference in accuracy. They loosen up considerably, but for USPSA you should be fine. Run the barrel out for a season or two and if you notice it opening up have a better barrel fitted. If you can do all the work locally you should be into it a few hundred dollars less than an edge. 

With all that being said, I believe your better off just buying an STI. Any warranty work will be completed faster and you most likely will have better support in your area. Mags are more affordable but in a pinch they can be several days away. 

My 40 requires a short load 1.115-1.122 with the range brass variance. My RIA is now a backup as I found regardless of loads I cannot get it to group better than 2-3" at 15 yrds. I bought mine used for a great deal. I have no complaints with reliable function, only with accuracy. And with the barrel with a short chamber and most STI shooters upwards of 1.180 if you ever find yourself in an ammo pinch at a match compatible ammo cound be difficult to come across 

• 3 weeks later...

Huge favor to ask!

Does anyone have a picture of the inside of a TF Fattie magwell (were it meets the frame)? I've decided that I'd really like to replace the factory magwell and had previously ordered the Cheely, but it didn't fit correctly as my MSH isn't flush with the bottom of the frame. I'd love to know if the TF version is "stepped" inside so I can use it.

3 hours ago, matteekay said:

Huge favor to ask!

Does anyone have a picture of the inside of a TF Fattie magwell (were it meets the frame)? I've decided that I'd really like to replace the factory magwell and had previously ordered the Cheely, but it didn't fit correctly as my MSH isn't flush with the bottom of the frame. I'd love to know if the TF version is "stepped" inside so I can use it.

It is stepped to replace the factory magwell.   If your gun didn't have one, you will have to cut the frame. 

0106181138a-1170x2080.jpg

It is stepped to replace the factory magwell.   If your gun didn't have one, you will have to cut the frame. 
0106181138a-1170x2080.thumb.jpg.d0c0f713426e0fcc61e94447c3293f67.jpg

I’m dumb - I should have clarified that I meant “off the frame”, lol. If you’re saying it’s stepped then that’s good enough for me; the Cheely was level all the way across and left a huge gap.

5 minutes ago, matteekay said:

I’m dumb - I should have clarified that I meant “off the frame”, lol. If you’re saying it’s stepped then that’s good enough for me; the Cheely was level all the way across and left a huge gap.

That was just a picture I already had anyway.  It illustrates how much I had to cut the frame to fit it. 

So she’s done for now. Now looking into different finished and ceracote color schemes. Limited10 bull barrel in 40sw runs good but took a lot of fitting and finessing into the RIA 6 inch 10mm slide. Installed an Aftec extractor that took a while for me to tune as well. Runs reliably now. Really like the nitro fin. Going to install the Dawson front site after ceracote. Thinking greys, darker and lighter combos with pewter tint.

41401ccd5393431c072e6b9ca47ff0c6.jpg