Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rock Island Hi Cap pistols

fp45liberator

I have a RIA TAC ULTRA FS HC 9MM.  This pistol was sent to Hayes Custom Guns for the HCG Package.  All I have to say is ....Wow.. The trigger breaks just under 2.5 lbs, finish and overall design are second to none.

In terms of magazine base pads call RIA or email them.  Their customer service is pretty good.  I wanted to go from the factory metal base pads to the plastics in some of my mags and they directed me to the right place.

You can also get the Remington R1 MAGAZINE:

https://gunmagwarehouse.com/remington-1911-r1-9mm-19-round-blued-steel-magazine.html

It fits RIA TAC AND TCM.

Hayes Custom has not only awesome prices but their turn around is great.  

This is mine after Hayes Custom work:

IMG-6580 (640x480).jpg

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a RIA TAC ULTRA FS HC 9MM.  This pistol was sent to Hayes Custom Guns for the HCG Package.  All I have to say is ....Wow.. The trigger breaks just under 2.5 lbs, finish and overall design are second to none.
In terms of magazine base pads call RIA or email them.  Their customer service is pretty good.  I wanted to go from the factory metal base pads to the plastics in some of my mags and they directed me to the right place.
You can also get the Remington R1 MAGAZINE:
https://gunmagwarehouse.com/remington-1911-r1-9mm-19-round-blued-steel-magazine.html
It fits RIA TAC AND TCM.

Hayes Custom has not only awesome prices but their turn around is great.  
This is mine after Hayes Custom work:
1612787084_IMG-6580(640x480).jpg.87c0098a9fc32ed4bf12d80b4b5828c5.jpg
Beautiful gun. Can I ask a favor? Can you take a full side view pic of your gun? I'm trying to see how the Hayes magwell looks from the side to see if I might like it. I haven't found any pics of their magwell on a gun.

Also wanted to verify if the R1 mags function properly (without any additional basepads, etc.) with the Hayes magwell installed?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

bharralson,

The Hayes Magwell is the one shown on the pic.  As far as the Remington R1 Mags.  I don't have them, but if you go to you tube/Hayes Custom Guns channel, they have tons of videos.  You will find answers for most of your questions as far as magwells,  best mags for RIA TAC/TCM..etc.

Hope this helps.  Let me know if you need a better angle showing the Hayes Magwell.

Go to this video..after min 4:30 Ben goes over Magazine options.

Edited by Hperea
new info

bharralson,

The Hayes Magwell is the one shown on the pic.  As far as the Remington R1 Mags.  I don't have them, but if you go to you tube/Hayes Custom Guns channel, they have tons of videos.  You will find answers for most of your questions as far as magwells,  best mags for RIA TAC/TCM..etc.

Hope this helps.  Let me know if you need a better angle showing the Hayes Magwell.

Go to this video..after min 4:30 Ben goes over Magazine options.

Thanks Hperea! I forgot he went through mags in that same video and said the R1's work with their magwell.

If you could take a full side profile pic, I'd really appreciate it. I'm not looking for the full race gun look and I don't want to feel like a poser since I'm not competing with it.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

I was going back and forth on a gun for carry. I was about to order the RIA CCO but after reading through this thread and elsewhere, I figured for the same price and similar weight, why not try the hicap version.

Reasons for the commander size.. I carry appendix and the only big problem with carrying a GI model is the muzzle pokes pretty bad when sitting down or bending over. Also, the gun itself should weigh a little less than full size.

I've heard that 4" 2011s seem to be more reliable, but I doubt there's hard data to support it. I'm open to the idea, certainly.

I want 100% reliability. The plan is:

Rp9 magazines, open to + followers but only premium reliable

New trigger system

Wilson combat extractor

New front sight

Grip reduction, undercut, lightening. What's the thinnest grip set?

With the commander slide, what recoil and main springs would be ideal?

Also what bullet weight shoots best? Undecided between 124 and 147. Perhaps the barrel behaves differently than the full size.

What else am I missing as far as internals for dead nuts reliability?

Edited by Grayman1770

Do they even offer a Hicap with 4 inch barrell? I looked through the website and don't see anything. Are you planning on building yourself with a Hicap frame? I gotta say I wouldn't even think of carrying my full-size Hicap, it's reliable enough but way to heavy, Heck my 19 fully loaded tugs at the pants a bit!! 

Rp9 mags are no better than the standard mecgar, I run DAA springs and followers with 100 percent reliability. The only thing I see missing on your list would be an extended firing pin for reliable ignition at all times.

Edited by Talon75

Thanks, I'll add that to the list.

As for magazines, I read of people earlier in the thread having issues with the para mags, but nobody had much bad to say about the rp9 mags. But good to know. 

The gun is listed as Rock Island Armory 51949 TCM Rock Standard MSHC Combo.

4.25 barrel. I can't find any discussion about it online. Hopefully it's newer production with a ramped barrel.

35230.jpg

Edited by Grayman1770

Didn't even look under the TCM tab!! Seems odd they wouldn't offer it in just 9mm . Very sure all 9mm and TCM barrells are ramped.

I haven't had any trouble with mags at all, but if you get a TCM model then you might need to tune on the feed lips just a little, pretty easy to do, and Hayes has a video of it I believe.

Edited by Talon75

What else am I missing as far as internals for dead nuts reliability?

A polymer frame, Glock slide, and striker operated firing system.

Only half kidding. I absolutely adore 19/2011's and don't even own a Glock, but chasing reliability on a 100+ year old gun seems like a tougher proposition than going with a modern platform. XD's aside (ducks).

Having said all that, my RIA doublestack was completely reliable in competition. The key thing for me was using the correct recoil spring for my load; it's been a minute, but I think it was an 11# spring with a 147.

I've never heard of 4" being more reliable but I guess it's possible?

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, matteekay said:

A polymer frame, Glock slide, and striker operated firing system.

Only half kidding. I absolutely adore 19/2011's and don't even own a Glock, but chasing reliability on a 100+ year old gun seems like a tougher proposition than going with a modern platform. XD's aside (ducks).

Having said all that, my RIA doublestack was completely reliable in competition. The key thing for me was using the correct recoil spring for my load; it's been a minute, but I think it was an 11# spring with a 147.

I've never heard of 4" being more reliable but I guess it's possible?

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Thanks, I'll try a 10 and 11# spring both. Or do I want to go the other direction and go 12# for the shorter slide?

Aren't striker systems almost as old? And the same setup otherwise. My ARs are nearly 70 year old designs. I've learned that newer is not always better.

I had a G19. Many failures to extract. Sometimes a dead trigger. A new ejector AND extractor seemed to fix the extraction issues. The trigger not resetting was a dealbreaker. I understand tabs have to be properly bent and spaced, but I'm over it. 

In my experience, my 1911s have had fewer issues than my striker guns. Doesn't make them better, but to me it's all the same.

Capable gun stripped down for premium parts, thorough testing and routine maintenence. Might as well be with the gun I shoot 3x better and faster. 

Are there any drop in, or minor fitting required, pinned grip safeties available for Para hi-cap clones/RIA 2011’s? It’s specifically for a R1 Recon Commander, but it is also a Para clone.

High grip on this pistol can be problematic for completely engaging the grip safety for me.

2 hours ago, Grayman1770 said:

So I need a para style trigger for upgrade? Are there any other internals that are specific to the para style?

Guncraft makes some drop in trigger shoes/bow. Other triggers can be fitted and work for example I have a SVI trigger shoe/bow in a para frame. 

16 minutes ago, Grayman1770 said:

I can't find a guncraft trigger in stock anywhere. Could somebody post a link to something that will work well? Would prefer long. 

Also for the magazine release, are the threads 4-40 or 5-40? 

Thx

This is the only Para trigger I could find with a brief search. You my have better luck with a SVI trigger and having it fitted. That would give you multiple options on the trigger shoe if you wanted to try something different. 

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/932090

I can't help you on the mag release but I assume you are talking about for an extended mag button on a threaded release?

I ended up going with a new design Fusion "ultra match grade" adjustable trigger. Price was right. Hopefully it requires minimal fitting.

I was going to get an aftec extractor, but saw some recent posts online that people were having problems with them. So I went with an Ed Brown match extractor for much less $. 

Have some mecgar p18 mags on the way also. 

Can hardly wait. 

Edited by Grayman1770

Shot the first 100rds today with mecgar 17rds. The springs in those mags are so stiff that I can only load 16 in each one right now. 

Shoots nice. But about 50 rounds in I had one round fail to extract. It never left the chamber and the trigger didn't reset. 

One of the rounds before it felt like a weak powderpuff.

I was shooting 124gr Browning and American Eage rated @ 1150 and 1140 fps. Is it possible a weak round simply didn't cycle the slide completely? Or is it more likely I need to tune the extractor again?

124+p HSTs worked fine.

Edited by Grayman1770

So, I brought my RIA Pro Match Ultra (a 6in 10mm) to our local match last night, not to shoot but to try some friends' mags in it. So, in my particular pistol...

SV mags lock in fine but are a little loose, some wobble side to side and a little front to back.

STI gen 1 mag locks in perfect, drops free, and has just a tiny bit of play. 

STI gen 2 mags lock in super tight, but will not drop free, they hang up a little bit on the mag release and are a bit snug in the frame. With some fitting, these could be made to work without too much trouble.

Just a little info to put in your back pockets of things to try

• 1 month later...