Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rock Island Hi Cap pistols

fp45liberator

7 hours ago, chomorro said:

Anyone know if the 45 mag release is the same as the 9mm mag release? Looking at a para 45 mag release for my 9mm

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Pretty sure the forgings are the same. 

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just wanted to post, since i think finishing reading all 61 pages was an accomplishment...backwards! I was here and excited because i managed to grab a 9mm tac ultra FS HC from PSA the moment they marked them in stock. Used this thread to find and buy all the mags, holster etc that i needed and today got an email that it was never in stock. So now i'm out a few hundred and even more invested in finding one!

Dropped a message to Hayes, maybe ill get lucky and they have something in stock.

Any who, carry on! 

Just wanted to post, since i think finishing reading all 61 pages was an accomplishment...backwards! I was here and excited because i managed to grab a 9mm tac ultra FS HC from PSA the moment they marked them in stock. Used this thread to find and buy all the mags, holster etc that i needed and today got an email that it was never in stock. So now i'm out a few hundred and even more invested in finding one!

Dropped a message to Hayes, maybe ill get lucky and they have something in stock.

Any who, carry on! 
That sucks! At least be happy you CAN order online lol. Cant do that where I am.

On a side note I found that my shadow 2 holster with the retention backed out actually fits my RIA 2011 pretty decently. Will work for my range uses. eede6d5f814331c2cab6c26f9b8bd9e4.jpgf831fdf4a1c6620408acbbb9c4b8977f.jpg

Interesting, This one with the hanger is a fair bit cheaper and looks very similar. Where my order not CANCELED on me my plan was to but this one and just heat it up and ensure a good fit to the Tac Ultra

(https://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Scorpion-Outdoor-Gear-Pro-Heavy-Duty-Competition-HCD3-USPSABS-2011FBKRH/313026659682?hash=item48e1d7c562%3Ag%3AwNkAAOSw~9FeaxMC&LH_BIN=1)

Interesting, This one with the hanger is a fair bit cheaper and looks very similar. Where my order not CANCELED on me my plan was to but this one and just heat it up and ensure a good fit to the Tac Ultra

(https://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Scorpion-Outdoor-Gear-Pro-Heavy-Duty-Competition-HCD3-USPSABS-2011FBKRH/313026659682?hash=item48e1d7c562%3Ag%3AwNkAAOSw~9FeaxMC&LH_BIN=1)
If I was to buy again I would possibly try that one. Mine has height adjustments and cant adjustment.

I have some black scorpion gear from Ebay I had to use a little heat gun to fix the molding and now it works perfect. But to be fair what I bought wasnt designed to fit what i had hahah.

Little update. Picked up the para 45 drilled and tapped mag catch for my 9mm. I was pissed at first because it was not a drop in but after some filing I was able to get the spring retainer turned enough to install. The para release without the button is actually a tad shorter then ria so using this release without it makes for harder mag changes.

You can see in the first pic it would not sit flush enough to go into the frame.

Pros: much more a solid mag insertion even with the new mags I was having trouble with previously. This para release doesn't require a slam to get it seated!! Not sure what makes it better but the shape is visibly different. So I dont have to get new basepads or shave the plastic basepads anymore.

Cons: My smaller hands can reach the button easier but it's still not ideal. My egw mini paddle is a smaller screw so my plan to use that wont work but I still want a paddle style since it will extend towards my thumb more.

Another con is the extended button causes the release to get stuck if pushed in too far. Happens easily just pushing it for testing but using mags mock reloads I didnt experience the issue. We will see Saturday when I go to the range.

Over all very pleased and it was cheap. Hopefully I can get a thicker screw to get the paddle mounted to it.55f0bee47b88dc35f287aa96cd5730e5.jpg1493f8cde6e8044c3aa1ff8f13ffdf2e.jpg35c2121b663dfed1086d0cd9cd02c930.jpgfaaab10d2ff68a1f48539b0d24ebde81.jpgb61697b5f207adf4181f2451c6ca0642.jpg

10 hours ago, chomorro said:

Not sure what makes it better but the shape is visibly different.

Looks like the ramping is smoother, but it also looks like the shelf on the catch is a little lower, so the mag doesn't have to be inserted quite as far to catch. 

Have you tried manually cycling rounds yet to see if it feeds properly? If it does actually allow the mag to sit slightly lower you may see feeding issues. Hopefully it's just the angle and not really an issue. 

Where did you find the catch?

Looks like the ramping is smoother, but it also looks like the shelf on the catch is a little lower, so the mag doesn't have to be inserted quite as far to catch. 

Have you tried manually cycling rounds yet to see if it feeds properly? If it does actually allow the mag to sit slightly lower you may see feeding issues. Hopefully it's just the angle and not really an issue. 

Where did you find the catch?
Good idea. Just ran some dummy rounds through it and it seems to cycle fine. Had one FTF but I think I didnt let the slide slingshot forward hard enough.

I'm not sure if my barrel and frame is factory ramped or smithed. It's not a super clean job.

It's a slade tactical para 45 acp mag catch mentioned earlier by another member in this thread.

660009b66863e521c1b1088d6971dce7.jpga78dd37690fa8c762f2856d5e4bfed3e.jpg5c1d4999b551c010b90a0083dd3b07d8.jpg829e0ab285b6b55cc38ad4a5054460c8.jpg

6 hours ago, chomorro said:

Good idea. Just ran some dummy rounds through it and it seems to cycle fine. Had one FTF but I think I didnt let the slide slingshot forward hard enough.

I'm not sure if my barrel and frame is factory ramped or smithed. It's not a super clean job.

It's a slade tactical para 45 acp mag catch mentioned earlier by another member in this thread.

Is that a 9mm?  I didn't know they made tac-ultras in non-ramped barrel versions.  

but yeah, the ramping doesn't look super smooth.  If you had a FTF cycling I'd recommend doing a good polish on the feed ramp.  Cheap investment of time if it keeps it eating freely...

Is that a 9mm?  I didn't know they made tac-ultras in non-ramped barrel versions.  

but yeah, the ramping doesn't look super smooth.  If you had a FTF cycling I'd recommend doing a good polish on the feed ramp.  Cheap investment of time if it keeps it eating freely...
I could be wrong I just read in the beginning of this thread there lots of non ramped 2011s and I bought mine used so not sure what has been done to it.

Mine is a 9mm 22tcm combo model.

Just got back from the range only ran 50 rounds through the 2011. Since I was competing with my friends I was using my shadow 2.

Good news is no issues at all with the extended mag release.

Out of 50 rounds I had two jams with 5 round mag changes. One looked like this, and the other was a half seated round. This is a dummy round I tried to replicate.

Before i go sending it off to hayes customs or a smith. Any ideas what would cause this?

I was using flat nosed 124 grain 9mm. I would assume the flat nose made it harder to load since the ramp is so vertical?d4816bd46de962eaaa4a48af3319d02e.jpg8eaac37efd848051a81be39cf26dd8c2.jpg

Try swapping in the factory mag release and see if it happens. It's possible that the mags are sitting slightly too low - I ran into that exact problem with a 1911 I built on a RIA frame. Might not fix it, but worth a shot (and free!).

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Try swapping in the factory mag release and see if it happens. It's possible that the mags are sitting slightly too low - I ran into that exact problem with a 1911 I built on a RIA frame. Might not fix it, but worth a shot (and free!).

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

I will try that, I had having the half seated problem before this release though. Bought some different recoil springs to try then out and see if the helps as well.

13 hours ago, matteekay said:

Try swapping in the factory mag release and see if it happens. It's possible that the mags are sitting slightly too low

agree.  especially because the replacement catch seems to sit at a different spot. 

the throat and ramp don't look too rough, but a little polish might not hurt. 

It does look like the barrel is sitting a bit far forward, but I'm not familiar with normal throat gap in 9mms.  I know in .45s the goal is ~1/32".  I'm sure someone else will chime in on that as well.  Might check the general gunsmithing section as well, someone there will know the proper setback for the 9mm 1911s.  

agree.  especially because the replacement catch seems to sit at a different spot. 

the throat and ramp don't look too rough, but a little polish might not hurt. 

It does look like the barrel is sitting a bit far forward, but I'm not familiar with normal throat gap in 9mms.  I know in .45s the goal is ~1/32".  I'm sure someone else will chime in on that as well.  Might check the general gunsmithing section as well, someone there will know the proper setback for the 9mm 1911s.  
I'm just going to grab as many things to check and head to the range for this. Too bad I just cant make a change and go shoot in my backyard lol. I probably wont get results for a awhile.

Find the Hayes video on YouTube that talks about adjusting the 22tcm mags and see if yours need that. Also Atlas has a mag tuning video with proper feedlip measurements, might need to open up the front of the feedlip a bit to aid the bullet tip up and feed better.

Find the Hayes video on YouTube that talks about adjusting the 22tcm mags and see if yours need that. Also Atlas has a mag tuning video with proper feedlip measurements, might need to open up the front of the feedlip a bit to aid the bullet tip up and feed better.
Just watched the videos. My calipers only read to the second decimal so not sure how I'm going to get the front .005 wider then the rear hahha.

I ended up measuring all my new mags and all of them are .32 inch front and back. Tried cycling again with dummy rounds and they all functioned fine. Video states it should be .35 inch rear and .355 front so I am off according to that.

I'm starting to think it's the flat nose rounds I was using. They are 124 grain flat nosed vs standard 115 grain round nose.777651ff547b18195a91feea15094490.jpg

Just got back from the range. Tried 9lb recoil spring and thought every thing was fixed but had a few failures to feed after a few rounds with both round nose and flat nose rounds.

Then I tried the 12lb spring which is supposedly factory weight but was ALOT harder to install in and compress then the factory one i had.

Did rapid fire with round nose for two box of 50 and no issues. Flat nose had one jam.

So I think the problem is fixed! Was not the magazines or the release it seems. Maybe my recoil spring was worn out.

I did dig into my hands with the sharp safety doing rapid fire. That's my next mod for sure.

3 hours ago, chomorro said:

Tried 9lb recoil spring and thought every thing was fixed but had a few failures to feed after a few rounds with both round nose and flat nose rounds.

The tinkerer in me wonders if you could polish the feed ramp and tube the mag lips to get it to run reliably with that 9lb spring. 

Is the muzzle nose diving with the 12lb spring? Tuning the spring is important for function, safety, and reliability (and longevity), but is also an important part of tuning the behavior for good return to zero...

The tinkerer in me wonders if you could polish the feed ramp and tube the mag lips to get it to run reliably with that 9lb spring. 

Is the muzzle nose diving with the 12lb spring? Tuning the spring is important for function, safety, and reliability (and longevity), but is also an important part of tuning the behavior for good return to zero...
Unfortunately 1911 style weapons are new to me. Let me look that up.

The 9lb spring did work pretty well just a few failures to fully chamber