Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rock Island Hi Cap pistols

fp45liberator

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just ordered a taylor freelance magwell! About 3 seconds after i saw the pics! I'm using MBX 140's, should be slick.

I like the look of that thing, but am too deep into mags with Dawson extensions to even think about it right now.

I did order the SVI billet wide body trigger bow and short curved insert, the last mod I will probably make to this pistol.

On a follow up note- all my mag springs finally have set, and now I get 22 rds in each mag.

I've had to reduce the circumference on the Nitro-fins for two STIs that were hard chromed. I didn't have to do that for a blued gun. I used course sandpaper and then smoothed it out with a finer grain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has anyone seen or used the new magwell from Taylor Freelance? I like the looks and the price isn't bad, just wondering if it is really any better. Also wondering if the standard mags or Dawson base pads will work in it.

Has anyone seen or used the new magwell from Taylor Freelance? I like the looks and the price isn't bad, just wondering if it is really any better. Also wondering if the standard mags or Dawson base pads will work in it.

Go back one page...post #505

Ok. So my eyes are now blurred from the posts on this. What is the general consensus on magazines for the RIA 9MM (51679) ? Excluding the pricey mbx/sti ..

It's looking like the Para p18 mag and Dawson basepad ? Is the working combo or did I miss something else?

Hi, What I'm asking is does that combo (P18/dawson) function with the Taylor Freelance magwell. I understand that the combo runs with the stock magwell.

I like the look of that Taylor Freelance but didn't want to risk having to go through that mag game again.

Thanks again.....

Ok. So my eyes are now blurred from the posts on this. What is the general consensus on magazines for the RIA 9MM (51679) ? Excluding the pricey mbx/sti ..

It's looking like the Para p18 mag and Dawson basepad ? Is the working combo or did I miss something else?

I have that with the ramped barrel. What I use are the Mecgar p18 magazines(same as OEM just different floorplates) with Dawson para extensions, but you also need the Arredondo insert at the bottom to keep the rounds from rolling over the follower.

Using that with factory follower and spring, I get 21 rounds reloadable. If I use TTI spring and follower, I can get 22 reloadable, but you have to trim down the edge of the follower or your gun will lock open with one still in the mag. You have to trim a lot, so it gets unreliable that it will lock open when empty.

I use the factory magwell, so I do not know how well/if this combo works with aftermarket ones.

I have that with the ramped barrel. What I use are the Mecgar p18 magazines(same as OEM just different floorplates) with Dawson para extensions, but you also need the Arredondo insert at the bottom to keep the rounds from rolling over the follower.

Using that with factory follower and spring, I get 21 rounds reloadable. If I use TTI spring and follower, I can get 22 reloadable, but you have to trim down the edge of the follower or your gun will lock open with one still in the mag. You have to trim a lot, so it gets unreliable that it will lock open when empty.

I use the factory magwell, so I do not know how well/if this combo works with aftermarket ones.

Thanks .. I did find this video last night if it helps anyone.https://youtu.be/PyrF1vxpHZI

Just installed a Taylor Freelance magwell on my Pro Match 40, went on with no problems or fitting, typical TF. Haven't shot it yet, hopefully tomorrow, if it isn't pouring rain. Will rlet you know how it works out.

Thanks .. I did find this video last night if it helps anyone.https://youtu.be/PyrF1vxpHZI

Thank You!!!

Just installed a Taylor Freelance magwell on my Pro Match 40, went on with no problems or fitting, typical TF. Haven't shot it yet, hopefully tomorrow, if it isn't pouring rain. Will rlet you know how it works out.

Which mags/basepads are you running?

You need to post a picture with it installed and on with mag n base pad in it..does it seat , rattle, go to slide lock on empty ? Cycle a full mag ?

I will post pictures as soon as I figure it out???? But I am using STI mag bodies, Dawson base pads, and Grams internals. The mags lock into the pistol positively, loaded or not loaded. There is rattle, but no more than with the RIA magwell. There is ever so slight contact with the base pad and rear of the magwell, but doesn't hinder the mag locking in the pistol. The magwell also does not restrict or bind while insertion or extraction. It is raining, so if it stops today or tomorrow, I will post results after shooting.