Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gen 4 grip tape?

multistage

A couple weeks ago I picked up a Gen 4 34 for IDPA. Have been using a 17. I do like the.way the 34 shoots. Glad I got it.

A friend also picked up a 34 recently, but his is a Gen 3. He quickly put some Dawson grip tape on it, and it is pretty nice.

Considering the nubs on the Gen 4 grip (vs. the relatively smooth Gen 3 grip) can a guy put grip tape on a Gen 4? Is there enough contact to hold the tape?

This probably gets asked a lot, so I apologize in advance. Many thanks for any advice.

My gen 4 has had no issues holding onto my grip tape. I am using some that I cut myself from stuff I got at the skate shop. It was their aggressive skate tape (not their extreme-tear-the-rubber-off-your-vans but still abrasive) and I love it. I actually think that the little stippling dots might help hold the tape better in fact. After shooting mine for a couple of practice sessions and coming back bloody i ran a file over it to knock the sharpness down a bit, but it still sticks to my hands like glue.

I really struggled with this on my gen4. I bought the Dawson's and some skate tape. Thorough cleaning is a must. I couldn't get the tape to stay as out when dry firing - my weak hand pressure would make the tape slide forward. I tried heating with a hair dryer, clamping with foam over night, etc.

Once I ran out of Dawson tape I used it as a template for some Jessup skate tape. I used a Harbor Feight heat gun (cost was less than the grip tape) when setting the grip tape. It is solid now. You can even see/feel some of the RTF numbs through the tape. So, I found proper heat is the answer.

Once this tape wears out I will order more of the Dawson tape. I have plenty of extra skate tape but it is very hard to replicate the clean lines if the Dawson tape.

One other thought: the Dawson tape doesn't cover the backstrap. I've tried with and without the backstrap taped. I found I like to add a little to the lower half of the backstrap to firm it up but have the too smooth so I can still adjust my grip.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I had good results with Jessup skate tape on my gen4 17. The only part that didn't stick as well was the back strap because of the curvature.

Cut slits along the edges of the piece you use for the blackstrap. It will allow more contouring

I had good results with Jessup skate tape on my gen4 17. The only part that didn't stick as well was the back strap because of the curvature.

Cut slits along the edges of the piece you use for the blackstrap. It will allow more contouring

thanks, i'll try that

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I shoot an XDM and use the Talon grip tape that wraps around the back strap. I love it. I squeeze really hard and it tends to slide around the right side and caused me to trash the grips too soon. Believe it or not I tried some two part epoxy on the back strap to anchor the tape and it worked great. Not pretty, but I was able to use them until I wore holes in them. This weekend I did it again but used JB Weld. . That's right, to glue grip tape to my gun.... I'll do anything for a good grip. It worked great. Once I stuck it on I recovered it with the wax paper I just peeled of the tape and wrapped it all up very tight with electrical tape. The next day it was perfect.

I used trugrip on my 17. I really liked it while it stayed put, but i think all grip tape comes loose after awhile..thats why people turn to stippling

A long while in some cases.....

I've got some of Eric's Tru-grips on a pair of G34s that's been on there since 2006 and 2004 (I think for the other one....)

They're still stuck tightly on......

• 4 weeks later...

I've only tried the Talon rubber textured grips. I personally prefer skate tape over rubber. I could never go back to plain Gen4 texture or worse, plain Gen3.

I keep the rubber Talons on a Gen4 17 that is primarily a nightstand gun. They work great and are very comfortable. I'd consider a set for carry. For competition skate tape is my preference

I recently ordered and installed these: http://www.benstoegerproshop.com/Glock-Gen-4-Grip-Tape-Standard-Full-Size-Pistol-p/g4-gt.htm,

I cleaned the grips with alcohol then used a re-purposed hair dryer for gentle heat. Working well on Gen 4 G34 & G35's holding up to a lot of dry fire practice.

G4-GT-2.jpg?1418711687

Edited by Beastly

• 2 months later...

I have the Talon Grips on my Gen 4 35 and they are great. Used a hair dryer when applying them and so far no problems. One caveat I need to add here is that I have only used them in cooler weather so far. I'm not sure how well they would hold up in hotter climates. I have no reason to believe they wouldn't hold up, but haven't put them through their paces in hotter weather yet. Season is still young :-)

Edited by BluePilgrim

I recently ordered and installed these: http://www.benstoegerproshop.com/Glock-Gen-4-Grip-Tape-Standard-Full-Size-Pistol-p/g4-gt.htm,

I cleaned the grips with alcohol then used a re-purposed hair dryer for gentle heat. Working well on Gen 4 G34 & G35's holding up to a lot of dry fire practice.

G4-GT-2.jpg?1418711687

I use these as well... great feel.

I've used the Talon grips before with good results.This time I went to Academy Sports and bought self adhesive grip tape from the tennis section.I put it on a 17 that I have and took a 3 day course of Advanced Pistol and Carbine/Pistol......it held up well to a 1600 rnd gauntlet of shooting with and without gloves.Best thing is the stuff costs less than $5 !

I shoot an XDM and use the Talon grip tape that wraps around the back strap. I love it. I squeeze really hard and it tends to slide around the right side and caused me to trash the grips too soon. Believe it or not I tried some two part epoxy on the back strap to anchor the tape and it worked great. Not pretty, but I was able to use them until I wore holes in them. This weekend I did it again but used JB Weld. . That's right, to glue grip tape to my gun.... I'll do anything for a good grip. It worked great. Once I stuck it on I recovered it with the wax paper I just peeled of the tape and wrapped it all up very tight with electrical tape. The next day it was perfect.

Just to clarify. I only added the JB Weld to the small area where the grip tape meets over he removable back strap. Just did it again the other day. I had to smooth out the old epoxy with a file. Works great.