Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thinnest gripped double stack

amish_rabbi

Question for you guys, I'm debating building a double stack gun, but I want to know which has the thinnest grip, para, Caspian (same mags, not sure if its the same OD grip), SVI steel or PT steel

Edited by amish_rabbi

My Caspian has no grips on it, per se. It comes with a die cut grip-tape wrap that goes all the way around. I am so far finding it very comfortable, though different from my single stacks. You can get a very thin wooden grip from Caspian that, as I understand screws straight into the frame with no bushings.

BTW: width is 1.060 for the grip frame. about 1.10 with grip tape.

Edited by Dranoel

Hello: I have a gun with the old aluminum STI thin grip. It is very thin and has not broken yet after 1000 rounds or so. The trick is to fit them. I know of a couple I fitted with over 20,000 rounds now. They don't make this grip any longer. Thanks, Eric

Caspian for sure I've shot one for a year and it's great but limited is just to fast for me do I'm selling it's in the classfieds under canyon creek caspian if your interested or want to check out sone pics

Mark

You may want to consider a standard STI grip with a grip reduction performed by an aftermarket company like Advanced Performance. You can also reduce the grip yourself if you have the time and patience to do it.

Mike

You may want to consider a standard STI grip with a grip reduction performed by an aftermarket company like Advanced Performance. You can also reduce the grip yourself if you have the time and patience to do it.

Mike

would work, but I need the gun to balance like my single stack, so unless I can find a very heavy brass mag well, plastic grips are out of the running. my single stack weights in at 46oz, short dust cover, bushing barrel and tungsten guide rod

single stack weights in at 46oz, short dust cover, bushing barrel and tungsten guide rod

A bit heavy for a Single Stack division gun. Perfect as a Classic division gun. ;)

Getting back to your topic, a brass magwell from Dawson and a plastic grip would be close in balance.

The feel would be different though.

You could use one of those 1911 grips from DS Perman to make your 1911 feel like your 2011.

I could be wrong on this, but I think the STI/SVI grip/gun was designed around the .45ACP round. The Caspian around the 38 Super.

You are correct about the STI/SVI Sir. I am not sure about the Caspian.

classic is exactly what it is for ;) single stack was more to describe the configuration not the division. you sure USPSA cant just remove the weight limit? It would make it a whole lot easier for me that way lol.

I want a 2011 to feel like a 1911, not the other way around. The whole point of this is that I need to shoot more matches and that means shooting USPSA ones across the border. But since I live above Washington and not New York no one shoots limited 10 and I'm not about to shoot my single stack and loose 11 rounds capacity per mag in straight limited. So the idea is to buy/build a limited gun that feels as close to my classic div gun as possible since that is my preferred division.

I believe you are right about the Caspian/SVI stuff, that is why a Caspian ends up with less .40 and a thinner grip

Check out a tanfoglio witness elite limited with eric gruafel aluminum grips. Almost to thin!

b50b10c29d7c7ddf31a9f1990e62acdc.jpgI

I love them and have them on my Xtreme LC. I just got a Limited Pro and the stock wood grips make me feel like I'm trying to corral a beer barrel. I slendarized them and think they look pretty good but there may be another set of Xtremes in my life.

TanfoLimPromodifiedshoes_zps84b4c66a.jpg

I want a 2011 to feel like a 1911, not the other way around.

Have you shot a 2011 before? Most people that have, prefer the grip of their 2011 over the 1911.

To answer your question, On another forum a member did trace the OD of the 1911 and 2011 grip. At the widest points they were the same, but the 2011 was most rectangle overall as opposed to the 1911's oval. If i can find the post I'll link it unless Quack finds this post first and reposts it.

It's here: http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=376918

What's really important is circumference. The plastic STI grip can go down to 5.25" with a grip reduction, which is very tiny for wide and long double stack.

It'll never feel like a 1911, though. That elliptical shape is unbeatable for sheer comfort. Maybe people who like the Glock will prefer the 2011 over the 1911. Not sure who else.

Question for you guys, I'm debating building a double stack gun, but I want to know which has the thinnest grip, para, Caspian (same mags, not sure if its the same OD grip), SVI steel or PT steel

Try to find a small Steel Infinity grip. They are noticeably smaller than the standard, though I don't know how it actually measures up against a Caspain. I've owned a Double Stack Para and it felt larger than any of my Infinitys.

http://www.sviguns.com/1101.php?indx=10

Edited by rangertrace