Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Question on coated bullets

jclap86

Are they worth the extra money compared to lead? Then yes. Just started using extremes, 85.00 for a thousand, compared to precision delta, or mg almost 40.00 cheaper. What's not to like. Out to 25 yards in my glock they are just as accurate. I think you can get a sample pack to try.

Just for the reduction of smoke alone (compared to lead) they are worth it. I've been going cheap for a long time and getting plain lead. I've shot a couple stages this year that I had to wait for the smoke to clear to see a target. I shot a classifier the other day and shot the left of the NS because all I could see was the NS. It was to bad the taget was on the right. :)

Plus they are cleaner in the gun, little to no leading. Your hands will be cleaner after loading ammo. Once I shoot up all this lead I have I will be switching to only coated. As of now all majors I go to will be coated only.

Yes! Coated is worth a few dollars more than conventional lubed bullets.

Less smoke is a big factor but for me but there are other factors. One factor, I have had minor to severe leading with certain conventional commercial lead bullets but so far zero leading and cleaner bore with coated. Also, conventional lube often builds up in the seating dies and transfers to other parts of the loaded round and mags which is not desirable in dusty conditions or when you ditch mags during a match. And I sometimes find that conventional lube falls out of the lube rings which will not happen with coated.

I like coated enough that I am converting from conventional lubing. I am just about ready to put away my sticks of lube and start coating my cast bullets. I got my oven and just waiting for the SS hardware cloth to be made into curing trays. It looks like the lube process a bit more involved but I think it will be worth it.

Check out Leatherhead bullets on Facebook. If you want 180gr, they offer a round nose without a lube groove that feeds better than the standard TC profile.

I've shot bayou's, bbi, sns and ibejiheads. They're coating is the most consistent.

• 2 weeks later...

Definitely a huge reduction in smoke, I was previously shooting .45 200 SWC over Clays, Lotta Smoke. Now I have switched exclusively to Worcester Bullet Company, (A Local Shooter, who went into business casting and uses Bayou's coating) Accuracy is great Velocity seems slightly higher YMMV. Best part is zero leading in the gun and no mess in the press. Plus with the amount that many of us handle, load and shoot, there has got to be health benefits to no exposed lead.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

another +1 for BBI. I use the 180s for practice and some local matches. I often put one on top of the other at the range so they are accurate for sure. for a soft major load try BBI 180s at 1.20 oal with 3.8/3.9 gr. of Clays. solo 1000 works great with coated bullets also but its not quite as soft as Clays.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone actually loaded Blue Bullets and Black Bullets to compare both, or any other camparasion between the various Coated lead bullets>

I did in supercomp, blue bullets and BBIs, in 125 gr rn

BBI's were a little faster than the blues with the same powder charge, about 10fps

The blue was easier to load due to it having a bevel base, the BBIs were flat based and fairly sharp

The blue appeared to smoke less

The blue didn't have that stink chemical/chicken manure smell when there fired

The price were similar, so for me the winner was the blue

• 2 months later...

This may be a dumb question but can you shoot them at indoor ranges that don't allow lead bullets? It would seem the answer would be yes once you explain them to the range unless I'm missing something? Thanks