Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

slide stop

postal

i am thinking about an extended slide stop ,i shoot I.D.P.A. ,and while i do feel comfortable with a standard slide stop ,and using my weak hand to use it after a reload ,i was wondering how many of you feel ,using and extended one with your strong hand works any quicker or better for you

thanks

I have faily normal size hands and it has never been a problem for me, so I just use a standard size release. For IDPA though, if an aftermarket slide-release isn't the same as factory configuration (ie...extended slide release) then it's not legal.

There's an old joke, "An extended slide stop is the second most useless part you can put on a 1911. The first most useless is an ambidextrous extended slide stop."

Extended slide stops have a nasty tendency to pop up while the gun is cycling, from their own greater-than-stock weight, and lock the action open with rounds still in the magazine. They can snag on clothing during the draw and/or, if your holster has a strap, hook on the strap and pin the gun in the holster. They're just all-around bad news.

Use the stock slide release and hit it with the support hand thumb after inserting a fresh magazine during a speedload.

Get in the habit of using the weak hand to depress the slide stop and it is fairly easy to bump the stop with your weak hand thumb resulting in the slide locking back

I'm not quite sure I understand what you're saying. Why would being in the habit of depressing the slide stop with the support hand thumb lead to bumping the slide stop with the support hand thumb while the gun is cycling, locking the slide open with rounds in the magazine? When you're actually shooting the gun, with the gun in your two-handed firing grip, the support hand thumb isn't going to be anywhere near hitting the slide stop.

So from what I have read most say don't go extended. Well let me throw a little twist. How about for a left hander who has too use the trigger finger to release the slide stop??? Any lefties out there use one?? I had a Kimber and I used one and never had a problem. I now shoot an STI and never put one on. I'm thinking of going back to it. With the trigger finger releasing it, it will easily slip off the stop making you losing time. Is there any others reasons not to go with it??

Flyin40

Is there any others reasons not to go with it??

Flyin40

If you are looking for a reason not to go with an extended slide release...it might be that they (being extended) have a higher likelyhood of being activated by accident.

Many shooters don't use one at all, they sling-shot the slide. And, many here find a way to plan the stage so that they reload with one round still in the pipe...not from slide-lock (which is slower). Heck...most of the shooters around here don't even have a functioning slide lock/release.

Only reason I was thinking of going with the slide stop is its just alot easier for a left handed person. For a righty I see it as a problem because you could possibly hit it with your support hand while shooting but for a lefty thats not a problem.

Probably just keep using what I have for now.

Flyin40

Duane Thomas,Jan 14 2005, 10:56 PM]

...Why would being in the habit of depressing the slide stop with the support hand thumb lead to bumping the slide stop with the support hand thumb...

Sorry, I probably didn't say that very clearly. Many shooters rest their left (weak) hand thumb on the receiver near the slide stop and on occasion bump the lever engaging the slide stop while firing.

...Why would being in the habit of depressing the slide stop with the support hand thumb lead to bumping the slide stop with the support hand thumb...

Sorry, I probably didn't say that very clearly. Many shooters rest their left (weak) hand thumb on the receiver near the slide stop and on occasion bump the lever engaging the slide stop while firing.

Maybe if you're shooting Weaver or Chapman with your index finger on the trigger guard and your thumbs together like they're a couple of 16-year-olds at prom, but if you're holding the gun the "right" way, it isn't an issue. ;)

Well, stop that.

Thanks guys {I think}

I tried ,and tried one with an extended slide stop ,and could see no advantage what so ever ,using my support hand was even quicker to recover with ,and I do rest my support hand thumb right on the slide stop at the front of it ,both pointed towards target, it has always been a reference point ,and has never caused a malfunction

It takes more time to turn the gun a bit ,and hit an extended slide stop with my strong hand thumb ,than it does to just hit it on the way up ,while putting my support hand back in place ,and acquiring my target ,all one motion

My Dad loves those damn things. Back in the early '80's a company named Safari Arms used to make 'em. He put them on "everything" he owned 1911.

When he wasn't looking....I took mine off. As a kid...got my butt chewed about "modifying" my gun. I told him, "I was just unmodifying what he modified." :lol: Besides, Mickey Fowler, J. Michael Plaxco or TGO didn't use one...why should I?

Seriously, they are the most useless accessory UNLESS due to some handicap you REALLY need one. ;)

I can close the slide on the gun just as quick with my support hand thumb. It's just a matter of getting the correct grip.

• 1 month later...

I've been told that a lot of 1911 shooters disable their slide stops to prevent it from being activated by recoil and and stopping the slide.

I shoot a Glock 20 and I have removed the slide stop from my gun completely.

I had to. In my quest for a higher and higher grip, I would bump the darn thing with my thumb and stop the gun. I just could afford that kind of extra time on a stage, so No Slide Stop is the best slide stop for me.

Okay, if I run the gun dry it might take up to .25 more seconds to rack the slide than to drop the slide stop, but If I run the gun dry shame on me. I should have had a better plan or not had to pick up shots.

Run what works!

Not legal for IDPA

PERMITTED Modifications (Inclusive list):

1. Sights to another notch and post type (see “sights” in glossary for further information).

2. Grips (no weighted grips; see “weighted grips” in glossary for further details).

3. Internal accuracy work (includes: replacement of the barrel with one of factory configuration, the use of Accu-Rails, the use of Briley Bushings).

4. Internal reliability work.

5. Checker frontstrap and backstrap.

6. Checker or square and checker trigger guard.

7. Cosmetic checkering/serrating.

8. Extended thumb (may be ambidextrous) and Beavertail grip safeties.

9. Extended magazine release (button may not be oversize in diameter or protrude more than .2” out from the frame).

10. Factory installed cone style barrels on pistols with a barrel length of 4.2” or less.

11. Full length guide rod manufactured of material that is no heavier than common steel.

12. Hammer and other trigger action parts to enhance trigger pull (includes the use of over travel stop).

13. Beveled magazine well and add-on well extensions.

14. Custom finishes.

IDPA LEGAL for Glocks as long as it is the factory extended slide release. Personally I like mine. I have smallish hands and find it somewhat difficult to hit it with the strong hand. Maybe I should be practicing using the weak hand with my Glock or is the weak hand thing just a 1911 preference?