Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What's with all of the Used "Trade-In" M&P .40's o

sierra77mk

For many months I've seen several on-line retailers with Trade-in M&P .40's for what seem to be good prices.

Why are thousands of M&P .40's being traded in is my basic question.

Are departments going back to 9's and trading in the .40's?

Have there been major issues with the .40's you could tell me about?

I've bought trade in Gen 3 glocks before with out hesitation but not S&W's.

Cosmetic issues and holster wear aside, what should a buyer expect with these M&P trade in models?

Are they Gen 1's that have reached the end of their lifecycle? (What are the current revision parts called anyway? Gen 2-3??)

I have not followed parts failure and revisions too closely. I know of slide release updates, mag follower updates and 9mm barrel twist updates.

Would you expect to replace / update parts on these?

Or put another way, if I had a factory new model and a trade in, what parts would be different.

Ive put my M&PS through hell and they have been though much more then any LEO trade in will have gone through. The one is an early M&P9 Pro and has way over 30k through plus 3 years of daily dryfire and still shoots great. If I was in the market for a cheap .40 I wouldn't hesitate to buy a LEO trade in, but I have plenty of pistols I don't shoot already the way it is.

I have seen somewhat of a trend of departments adopting 9mms instead of .40s due to ammo cost.

The M&P seems popular locally here as well, but I would imagine that most police trade-ins are due to departments switching platforms, perhaps not as a judgment of the firearm itself but more due to them getting a great deal on the trade-ins.

I don't think I'd pay $369 + shipping and transfer for one, but if it was $369 out the door I'd be all over it.

I've heard there have been a few departments switching from 40 to 9 and that is the reason for the recent availability of police trade in M&P's.

Buds is $369 with free shipping but I would pay the extra $50-70 to get one new just for the lifetime (original owner) warranty support from S&W.

The Georgia state patrol it's fixing to move away from Glock 45 gap and go to 9mm... The reason I have been told it's the price of ammo, 9mm vs 45 gap. I don't know what the wait time for federal 9mm training and duty ammo is, but it's 9-12 months for 40, which could factor in the decision. Further more, all it takes it's a new agency head to want to switch to 9mm or switch to glock for entire departments to offload their standard duty gun

Edited by ron169

There have been 3 distinct versions of the sear housing block. The first had too small of a sear return spring that would sometimes not be enough to reset the sear resulting in a "dead trigger". The second had a larger sear return spring. The latest have a different design that is supposed to have a more noticable reset (not sure what other changes are present in the latest).

Overheard a brifing by local sheriff's dept while getting my CCW renewed. They said 3 large PD's in the area are moving away from 40 back to 9mm so they are going to switch as well. Didn't catch any reasons though.

he is keeping 2 mags so he can sell the gun cheap

all l.e. guns come with 3 mags + they have a bunch in the armory.

probably kept all of them to sell

be careful with buds

j&g

same same

jjw

This is just good business when you make good guns. Sell new ones at a great discount take the old ones in trade and resell the old ones after fixing them up. Glock pioneered this in the years leading up to the gun ban in 94. M+Ps are good guns. Buds is good gun store. Everybody's a winner here.

• 2 weeks later...

I work with a fed security contracting company and we are seeing more contract requirements switching from .40 to 9mm for not only cost of ammo but also because we have experienced higher pass rates with 9mm than with the 'snappy' .40 round... these aren't the most experienced shooters. As a side note, our training academy has also experienced some issues with extractors breaking after around 10,000 rounds with the M&P 40 rentals but has had no issues with the 9mm.

• 4 weeks later...