Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Single Stack

427Cobra

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like my Trojan in 9mm fun little blaster. Have a Spartan also both are tuned up the Spartan is not the gun the Trojan is while it's a good buy for the money it's not quite as accurate don't think it will hold up as well. Anything you buy will need tuning and a few parts to suit you so expect to spend a little

extra once purchased.

I have one Trojan 9mm and on SA Loaded in 9mm. I like them both. The SA has been to the Pro Shop for a few upgrades and it really shines, but way beyond the cost of a Trojan or RO. The Trojan had a little tiny issue with mag catch spring day one and was fixed with a small file.

Both run 100%. The SA is my primary and the STI is my second.

Question/Statement; I thought Kimbers are 80% produced in Ridgefield NJ by Kimber subsidiary Aero Molding, then shipped to NY, serialized and finished? Just Saying..... :-)

Have the Springfield target in 9mm a little more the the RO or Spartan. Added a extended mag release and a two piece marinating,Maxwell. Have used it for IDPA and IPSC. Another option for you. Started with the Wilson Combat mags, but one of the ranges I shoot at is all sand, the tolerances are way too tight in them and the sand jams them up. Now go with Dawson's.

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up a Trojan two months ago. Good deal and I really like the gun. Got it from Dawson with the "CRP" deal. I haven't shot a Springfield RO but I don't know what I would change on the STI - it is a great gun that never hiccups with Dawson 10 round mags.

I have had a Trojan for 6 years and it has been a reliable and accurate gun. If you can I recommend handling them both. The Trojan is slightly undercut under the trigger guard and does have a little different feel compared to others.

If you plan on modifying it to the point it is practically a new gun, then try a rock island. They are inexpensive and they make the frames for a a couple of manufacturers I am believe.

I started with a rock island a few years back. Once I tightened up the rail fit a little bit it became obvious that the slide was machined crooked. The slide was dragging on the dust cover hard. I picked it up on sale for $400, and I would have been better off putting that into a Springfield.

I have had the RIA suggested to me, the price is nice but the ones I've handled felt sloppy between the frame and slide. I am interested in the 2011 version if it ever gets released. I'll just have to do some hunting and see if I can get my hands on them to see how they feel as suggested from Hotrodder.

I have had the RIA suggested to me, the price is nice but the ones I've handled felt sloppy between the frame and slide. I am interested in the 2011 version if it ever gets released. I'll just have to do some hunting and see if I can get my hands on them to see how they feel as suggested from Hotrodder.

I just got a Springfield RO 9mm and am very pleased. I plan on using the 400 I didn't spend on the STI to get mags and the rest of the gear to compete. I shot a few runs on some Steel Challenge with it tonight and di very well. First time every shooting the pistol and I think it's competition ready. Sure I want to swap the front sight for a Dawson, change the grips, and change out some other parts - but the gun ran and was accurate.

This isn't a post to trash the STI, but I think you get a lot of bang for the buck with this particular pistol. I am very pleased so far. Pretty cool to have never shot it, pull it out o fthe box and just start making good runs on some Steel Challenge.

I'm really digging my RO. It required a bit more extractor tension out of the box but hasn't malfunctioned since that was addressed(600 rounds). I've installed a fiber optic front sight, techwell sp with alumagrips, grip tape front strap, Dawson tapped mag catch with lo-pro button, and Dawson 10 round mags. The trigger has lost it's creep and breaks at 4 lbs. I'm still getting used to the gun (big difference from my m&p pro!!) but still managed to place well at my last Steel Challenge match.

Overall I think the RO is a bargain. It seems most people mod their 1911 to suit there purpose anyway so why pay more only to change parts. I feel the RO (and its forged frame) is as good a place to start as any. With that being said, its pretty competitive out of the box.

I shoot a 9mm S&W Pro Series 1911 for SS Minor. Gun has been good. I wish I didnt have $300+ into Wilson mags, they suck. Gun has run perfect with only 1 issue with one of my reloads with thousands of rounds through it this season. The Wilson mags are dumb, with the crappy follower, and stupid plastic insert / spacer that just begs to have dirt get clogged in it. I also had to cut 1 coil off the springs to get the 9mm mags re loadable

Makes me even more sad I live in a communist state... pain in the butt to find these anywhere near that price

Edited by xxDRBxx